Gnome screensaver question

If none of the more specific forums is the right place to ask

Gnome screensaver question

Postby LeonardRenner » 2020-06-11 07:23

I go to 'All Settings' and then search for screensaver. There are no results. That has to be a bug, right? I mean, it's not strictly a bug, because it's even more buggy (as in illogical and annoying) than many actual bugs.

Please - I am effectively stil a newb, even though on and off I have been using Debian for over a decade. In this sphere I am definitely a newb, because it actually used to be much easier to find the screensaver.

It's free. I get that and mostly it's terrific.

Thanks for any pointers.
LeonardRenner

Re: Gnome screensaver question

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » 2020-06-11 09:44

I'm not in GNOME atm but I think you can change the screensaver settings by clicking on the battery icon in the drop-down menu on the right hand side of the top bar.
Black Lives Matter

Debian buster-backports ISO image: for new hardware support
Head_on_a_Stick

Postby cuckooflew » 2020-06-12 02:01

I wonder if it would be simpler to just use xscreensaver , that's what I use,...to turn it on simply type 'xscreensaver', no mysterious hieroglyphs, or secret hidden menu's. ' xscreensaver-demo' will give you a dialog for settings, demo's , etc. And no need for Gnome.
https://packages.debian.org/buster/xscreensaver
========================================
The manual is interesting, a must read.
https://manpages.debian.org/buster/xscreensaver/xscreensaver.1.en.html
USING GNOME OR UNITY
For the better part of a decade, GNOME shipped xscreensaver as-is, and everything just worked out of the box. In 2005, however, they decided to re-invent the wheel and ship their own replacement for the xscreensaver daemon called "gnome-screensaver", rather than improving xscreensaver and contributing their changes back. As a result, the "gnome-screensaver" program is insecure, bug-ridden, and missing many features of xscreensaver. You shouldn't use it.
Please Read What we expect you have already Done
Google knows a lot, and
"If God had wanted computers to work all the time, He wouldn't have invented RESET buttons"
…one flew east, one flew west,
One flew over the cuckoo’s nest.
cuckooflew

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » 2020-06-12 08:33

cuckooflew wrote:I wonder if it would be simpler to just use xscreensaver

Not sure if that would work under Wayland and anyway jwz doesn't want us to use it in Debian: https://www.jwz.org/blog/2016/04/i-woul ... reensaver/

cuckooflew wrote:And no need for Gnome

There's no need for chocolate either but some people like it :mrgreen:
Black Lives Matter

Head_on_a_Stick

Postby cuckooflew » 2020-06-12 16:31

Hmm,Interesting, well so much for that idea, I do like chocolate, but coffee is better, in any event I understand what you mean, apology , I did not know that about using it on Debian, seems like they would say something in the package info, or simply respect the author's wishes.
Please Read What we expect you have already Done
Google knows a lot, and
"If God had wanted computers to work all the time, He wouldn't have invented RESET buttons"
…one flew east, one flew west,
One flew over the cuckoo’s nest.
cuckooflew

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » 2020-06-12 21:02

cuckooflew wrote:apology

Don't be silly, no need to apologise. Your efforts are certainly appreciated by me :-)

cuckooflew wrote:I did not know that about using it on Debian, seems like they would say something in the package info, or simply respect the author's wishes.

Ha, no, they just ignored jwz's whining and prioritised their users instead :mrgreen:

Highly amusing bug report here: https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugrepo ... bug=819703
Black Lives Matter

Head_on_a_Stick

Return to General Questions