Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Switched to Debian Buster recently; games became slideshows

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
Nimta63

Switched to Debian Buster recently; games became slideshows

#1 Post by Nimta63 »

I previously used SparkyLinux 4.20 for about a year, when I chose to update the OS a couple days ago just about everything broke, so I switched to standard Debian 10.4 "Buster".

Everything up until now has been working perfectly out of the box, loving the ease of use.

I finally had time today to play some steam games, but unfortunately, nothing seems to want to run higher than 10 FPS at any point. For the record, I'm using a Ryzen 2200 G OC'd to ~3800Mhz, its integrated graphics at ~866Mhz, and 16GB 2667Mhz RAM. Games like Terraria should not be running at ~8 FPS, and until the switch, they didn't. Other issues such as certain missing background layers in some games and others' complete refusal to even launch makes me think that there's somehow a driver issue.
I can list other specs if need be.

EDIT: Upon closer inspection, the very short boot process displays a warning about missing firmware for half a second. In my defense, it's on-screen for a very short period of time and the one boot-up I do per-day happens to coincide with the time I'm checking my phone and the warning looks exactly like the POST on my old XP machine did, nothing out of the ordinary to me.
Exact text copied for reference:

Code: Select all

[    0.596101] AMD-Vi: Unable to write to IOMMU perf counter.
[    1.224109] [drm:amdgpu_pci_probe [amdgpu]] *ERROR* amdgpu requires firmware installed
[    1.224305] See https://wiki.debian.org/Firmware for information about missing firmware
EDIT 2: Okay, so there doesn't seem to be an obviously correct driver/firmware for my particular setup on that site. The instructions also don't say anything about Debian 9 or 10, so it feels like the page might be outdated. I do, however, have the newest version of the Win10 driver for my iGPU now, although I'm not sure if that helps any.

stevepusser

Re: Switched to Debian Buster recently; games became slidesh

#2 Post by stevepusser »

It's one of the most FAQs here!

You need the non-free firmware: https://wiki.debian.org/AtiHowTo
MX Linux packager and developer

Head_on_a_Stick

#3 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Debian buster outperforms Windows 10 for gaming framerates on my Ryzen hardware :)
deadbang

Nimta63

#4 Post by Nimta63 »

And now mine does too.
Took me way longer than it should have to ~follow instructions~ (about an hour) but nevertheless thank you!