Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[RESOLVED] Synaptic and other apps won't work in Cinnamon

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
JeSuisFlaneur

[RESOLVED] Synaptic and other apps won't work in Cinnamon

#1 Post by JeSuisFlaneur »

From Help I have received, below, I have edited the Subject or Name of this thread. My apologies.

I tried to use Sound Juicer to convert mp3s to ogg. With SJ on-screen, the keyboard would not put characters in the fields. And mouse would not control anything but the Max-Min-Close.

I considered that perhaps this was a problem caused by the style of desktop I use. I tried to find which exact desktop it is. I opened Settings and tried to find which. That I couldn't accomplish. So, netsearching for: "debian cli show desktop in use" and found

Code: Select all

printf 'Desktop: %s\nSession: %s\n' "$XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP" "$GDMSESSION"
which shows

mark@Lexington:~$ printf 'Desktop: %s\nSession: %s\n' "$XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP" "$GDMSESSION"
Desktop: X-Cinnamon
Session: default
but netsearching x-cinnamon and "sound juicer" I find nothing to show why the keyboard and mouse don't work.

What should I do next?
Last edited by JeSuisFlaneur on 2020-06-18 20:31, edited 2 times in total.

cuckooflew

Re: x11? or Gnome Classic or Just What?

#2 Post by cuckooflew »

Your title is confusing to me, based on your post,:
by JeSuisFlaneur » I tried to use Sound Juicer to convert mp3s to ogg. ---snip---
Is this what you are trying to do ? If so, I suggest using "ffmpeg"
Very simple, easy: Example

parrot$ ffmpeg -i Haydn_Cello_Concerto_D-1.mp3 test-1.ogg

I am listening to test-1.ogg , with mplayer right now, and it converted perfectly.
So that is a quick and easy way to accomplish the task you mention. You might need to install:

# apt install ffmpeg

More details on using it : https://www.howtoforge.com/tutorial/ffm ... onversion/
and

man ffmpeg
---snip:DESCRIPTION
       ffmpeg is a very fast video and audio converter that can also grab from
       a live audio/video source. It can also convert between arbitrary sample
       rates and resize video on the fly with a high quality polyphase filter.

ffmpeg reads from an arbitrary number of input "files" (which can be
       regular files, pipes, network streams, grabbing devices, etc.),
       specified by the "-i" option, and writes to an arbitrary number of
       output "files", which are specified by a plain output url. Anything
       found on the command line which cannot be interpreted as an option is
       considered to be an output url.
----snipp----.
Or some search foo, for hundreds of other examples.
================= end ============
Next:
by JeSuisFlaneur »but netsearching x-cinnamon and "sound juicer" I find nothing to show why the keyboard and mouse don't work.
If you want to spend day, weeks, and maybe months, debugging this bloated software, that is fine, but I can't help you with that, I don't use any of it myself.
by JeSuisFlaneur » What should I do next?
Again, depending on what is most important and urgent, if it was me, and what I was trying to accomplish is convert some sound files, I would just use ffmpeg , if I did not have it installed, I would install it now, and try it. You have a example that will work. No need for GUI and buggy DE's, then later,, if you want you can work on debugging your "sound juicer", and DE,...or perhaps someone else will be able to suggest more on that. With that said, have a good day
Please Read What we expect you have already Done
Search Engines know a lot, and
"If God had wanted computers to work all the time, He wouldn't have invented RESET buttons"
and
Just say NO to help vampires!

JeSuisFlaneur

#3 Post by JeSuisFlaneur »

I am doing several acts here. One is to learn what is going on to help me report the problem to Bug Tracking System (BTS), not just get an app to work. Also, I've yet to understand whether the problem is on my end alone, or the app's problem.

Sound Juicer is installed by default in Debian 10 Buster. At least in my system. I've no interest in your suggestion about ffmpeg.

I apologize for the confusing title. What came to mind, belatedly, is that Synaptic and other apps, won't work in Cinnamon or Gnome or X11. I'm not qualified to address that, but I thought the problem is with the "Desktop Environment".

Suggest a better title, please.

cuckooflew

#4 Post by cuckooflew »

Well your welcome, any way:
I've no interest in your suggestion about ffmpeg.
That is your loss, but no problem....I thought you needed to convert those :
-- to convert mp3s to ogg.
My bad, you did say, "Use sound juicer", but also you are wrong here:
Sound Juicer is installed by default in Debian 10 Buster.
Fortunately it isn't, but maybe in your system, I use the netinstall, and just install a base system, then I add a few packages, and my WM,... but any way,.... as for this:

Suggest a better title, please.
Well you asked, here is my suggestion,. give it some thought, you are not having trouble with X11, in fact never even mentioned it, and you are not using Gnome Classic, so,...since you say you are using X-Cinnamon , (I have never heard of that until now), but any way, and you are trying to solve problems with "Sound Juicer", that is clear, so perhaps,

Problems with Sound Juicer and X-Cinnamon
Or do you mean this ? cinnamon-desktop-environment, I suspect that is what you have, so

Problems with Sound Juicer and Cinnamon DE 
Would be best, in my opinion.
https://packages.debian.org/buster/cinn ... nvironment
But I all ready have seen what you think about my ideas,:
I've no interest in your suggestion about ffmpeg.
In any event again, Your welcome, and have a good day.
Last edited by cuckooflew on 2020-06-17 19:10, edited 1 time in total.
"If God had wanted computers to work all the time, He wouldn't have invented RESET buttons"
and

cuckooflew

Re: Synaptic and other apps won't work in Cinnamon or Gnome

#5 Post by cuckooflew »

Ahh, my apology, I missed this,:
by JeSuisFlaneur »
I apologize for the confusing title. What came to mind, belatedly, is that Synaptic and other apps, won't work in Cinnamon or Gnome or X11.
Now that is a entirely different topic, Is this the problem ? "Synaptic and other apps won't work in Cinnamon or Gnome or X11", it is a little to long, so let's shorten it up:

Synaptic and other apps won't work in Cinnamon or Gnome  
X11 is not a issue, synaptic works just fine on a Xorg, X11 with fluxbox WM, but yes it is a common problem, on Gnome, and I noticed Cinnamon depends mostly on Gnome programs, ...there are several threads open on this, it is related to Wayland,... I thought they had fixed those problems, guess not, just goes to show,...
https://wiki.debian.org/Wayland18 Mar 2020 ... Another way to test Wayland is to install the GNOME desktop ... Emacs: because Emacs is not a real GTK apps, it still talks with X11 and ... Cinnamon: discussed ... other window managers unlikely to be supported ... Xresources won't load ... (In fact, synaptic was removed from buster because it doesn't work ...
(later it (synaptic) was put back in at the last minuet)
There is a bunch more results and info:on Debian Synaptic and other apps won't work in Cinnamon or Gnome
===============edited - misc notes =======
I've yet to understand whether the problem is on my end alone, or the app's problem.
It could be both, but I think it mostly is Gnome, Wayland , and many of the "apps",...all very problematic,
buggy, etc,...have been for years now.
You might get better help / advice though, if you just try to fix 1 problem at a time, start a new topic, for each specific app,.. any way I gave up on Gnome about 10 years ago now,...it all is way to complicated, bloated , for my taste, I use a much simpler system, and am happy with it. I need a reliable system, that is also simple, easy to debug and repair if and when there is a problem," knock on wood", there have not been any real problems, now for years as well.
but I thought the problem is with the "Desktop Environment".
Yes indeed, now you are getting closer to the real problem :D
and

oswaldkelso
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#6 Post by oswaldkelso »

Just disable wayland or even easier install XFCE and see if it fixes it. If it does result. If not it's still a result as you'll have narrowed the issue down a bit
Free Software Matters
Ash init durbatulûk, ash init gimbatul,
Ash init thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
My oldest used PC: 1999 imac 333Mhz 256MB PPC abandoned by Debian

cuckooflew

#7 Post by cuckooflew »

+100, Xfce works well and synaptic works just fine with it.
and

pendrachken

#8 Post by pendrachken »

As far as I know, and it's information supported by the Debian wiki, Cinnamon does not support wayland. So that should be ruled out.

The question becomes is Cinnamon running in software rendering because you don't have firmware for your graphics drivers installed. Ensure you have your graphics driver fully installed, and all firmware needed. There are tons of articles on how to do that easily out there, including the Debian wiki.
fortune -o
Your love life will be... interesting.
:twisted: How did it know?

The U.S. uses the metric system too, we have tenths, hundredths and thousandths of inches :-P

JeSuisFlaneur

Re: Synaptic and other apps won't work in Cinnamon or Gnome?

#9 Post by JeSuisFlaneur »

By way of solving my own problem, another Debian app "Sound Converter" installs and runs perfectly well. That doesn't help with understanding why "Sound Juicer" would not work.

Another problem arising is that using (in my case) learning ffmpeg doesn't get me nearer using the Bug Tracking System (BTS) to file a report about "Sound Juicer's" problem.

FWIW, I changed from Ubuntu to Debian for stability. Too much change in Ubuntu. In with Rhythmbox, out with Rhythmbox, and so on.

arzgi

#10 Post by arzgi »

JeSuisFlaneur wrote:By way of solving my own problem, another Debian app "Sound Converter" installs and runs perfectly well. That doesn't help with understanding why "Sound Juicer" would not work.

Another problem arising is that using (in my case) learning ffmpeg doesn't get me nearer using the Bug Tracking System (BTS) to file a report about "Sound Juicer's" problem.

FWIW, I changed from Ubuntu to Debian for stability. Too much change in Ubuntu. In with Rhythmbox, out with Rhythmbox, and so on.
You could start Sound Juicer from terminal

sound-juicer
and possibly see error messages.

Install reportbug, it nowadays has even gtk-version

$ aptitude search reportbug
i A python3-reportbug                               - Python-moduulit vianseurantajärjestelmien kanssa toimimis
i   reportbug                                       - Ilmoittaa vioista Debian-jakelussa                       
p   reportbug-gtk                                   - reports bugs in the Debian distribution (GTK+ UI) 
Sorry, my locale is in my own language :roll:

cuckooflew

#11 Post by cuckooflew »

To install reportbug:
https://wiki.debian.org/reportbug
===========================
Next, to start: https://wiki.debian.org/BugReport
https://www.debian.org/Bugs/Reporting
=============================
And below, very detailed, kind of long...it may seem to complicated ,but actually it is basically simple,but there are a lot of options, etc.....anyway, almost at the end is:
https://www.debian.org/Bugs/Reporting
Using dpkg to find the package and version for the report

When using reportbug to report a bug in a command, say grep, the following will automatically select the right package and let you write the report right away: reportbug --file $(which grep)

You can also find out which package installed it by using dpkg --search. You can find out which version of a package you have installed by using dpkg --list or dpkg --status. -----snip-----
Where I say "snip", is where the examples start.
If you do have any problem or question about reporting bugs, after reading some of these links, feel free to start a new topic on that, or just ask here. The same with ffmpeg, I am not a expert, but when I first started using it, I was some what intimidated by the manual, but found some really good tutorials that were easier to follow,...sorry I do not have links to those handy, I will need to look for them....if you are interested , or need help with it.
and

RU55EL

#12 Post by RU55EL »

JeSuisFlaneur wrote:I tried to use Sound Juicer to convert mp3s to ogg. With SJ on-screen, the keyboard would not put characters in the fields. And mouse would not control anything but the Max-Min-Close.
Did you try ripping a CD? That is what sound juicer is intended for.
JeSuisFlaneur wrote:By way of solving my own problem, another Debian app "Sound Converter" installs and runs perfectly well.
Sound converter is a better choice for converting audio files to a different format.

cuckooflew

#13 Post by cuckooflew »

JeSuisFlaneur wrote:
FWIW, I changed from Ubuntu to Debian for stability. Too much change in Ubuntu
Me too, first it was Xubuntu, then I tried Linux Mint, same problem way to many updates , upgrades, and almost every time they would break my system, not at all stable, and reliable.
Debian has a learning curve, it is mostly just learning how to configure your DE or WM in a way that is perfect for you, also finding which packages work best for you and the task you want to perform.
But after you have your system working the way you want or need, it is easy to keep it that way.
Don't use other repositories though, that is usually the cause of problems when the next updates/upgrades are made available,
More reading/details: https://wiki.debian.org/DontBreakDebian
and