Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Unable to boot due to missing firmware

Need help with peripherals or devices?
name

Unable to boot due to missing firmware

#1 Post by name »

I'm having trouble trying to boot into my recently installed Debian testing system. Whenever I attempt to boot in, during startup i get an error that says -

Code: Select all

pcieport 0000:00:1c.4: AER: PCIe bus error: severity=Corrected, type=Physical Layer, (Reciever ID)
pcieport 0000:00:1c.4: AER: device [8086:a294] error status/mask=00000001/00002000
pcieport 0000:00:1c.4: AER: [ 0] RxErr
From what i've researched, pci=noaer or pci=nomsi are fixes to the problem, but when I applied pci=noaer to the kernel options in the GRUB menu, the system still didn't boot. Instead, I see from the beginning logs -

[drm:amdgpu_pci_probe [amdgpu]] *ERROR* amdgpu requires firmware installed
rtw_pci 0000:06:00.0: firmware: failed to load rtw88/rtw8822b_fw.bin (-2)
rtw_pci 0000:06:00.0: failed to request firmware
rtw_pci 0000:06:00.0: failed to load firmware
rtw_pci 0000:06:00.0: failed to setup chip efuse info
rtw_pci 0000:06:00.0: failed to setup chip information
bluetooth hci0: firmware: failed to load rtl_bt/rtl8822b_fw.bin (-2)
Bluetooth: hci0: RTL: firmware file rtl_bt/rtl8822b_fw.bin not found
Apparently I'm missing the firmware required for my GPU and Bluetooth. I found information on how to install missing non-free firmware in the Debian wiki, but that was only relative to the installation of the OS, saying how if the installer detects any non-free hardware requiring firmware, it will prompt the user to install said firmware - which never happened during my Debian installation, strangely enough. I don't know how to install firmware on an already installed system, and (correct me if I'm wrong) unfortunately the wiki doesn't cover that aspect.

It would be nice to know how to install the missing firmware so I can use my system. Or even better, how to boot into my system so I can install the missing firmware from there, if such a thing is even possible.
Last edited by name on 2020-06-22 23:24, edited 1 time in total.

ruwolf

Re: Unable to boot due to missing firmware

#2 Post by ruwolf »

At first, you should know, which exact hardware do you have in the system.
E.g. command lshw can tell you it...

AMDGPU firmware is probably in package firmware-amd-graphics as you can find here: wiki.debian.org: AtiHowTo.

name

#3 Post by name »

My mistake. my hardware is -
motherboard - asus rog strix z-370e
cpu - intel i5-8600k
gpu - radeon rx 5700 xt
storage - 3tb seagate hard drive

I would've told you the results from that command rather than my own words, but when i entered it, it didn't recognize it as a command for some reason. This was through the recovery mode in the GRUB menu.

cuckooflew

#4 Post by cuckooflew »

The grub menu is not a full command line interface, I can see you have really done a lot of research, and of course read all the documentation about installing , including the wiki,
name » I found information on how to install missing non-free firmware in the Debian wiki, but that was only relative to the installation of the OS, saying how if the installer detects any non-free hardware requiring firmware, it will prompt the user to install said firmware - which never happened during my Debian installation, strangely enough.
but maybe consider re-reading, before you install, instead of later after the install did not work. Probably the easiest approach now is to try installing again, I had similar problems the first time I installed Debian, but the second try went better,
from : https://wiki.debian.org/Firmware In some cases, firmware supplied on removable media may not be detected automatically (e.g. 740503). In these situations, drop to the console and manually mount (see mount(8)) your removable storage on a temporary directory (e.g. /media).

Alternatively, you can use one of the parallel installer image builds that also include all the non-free firmware packages directly. We have "netinst" CD images and also DVD installer images - see http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unoff ... -firmware/
Pay particular attention to :(e.g. 740503).
- Workaround is to format the USB drive without a partition table,
e.g. "mkfs.vfat -I /dev/sdc" (mkfs.vfat actually expects a
partition table, -I override forces it to use the entire device)
There are several other topics on the forum that go into great detail about this common problem, after all said and done, if this seems to complicated, ....there are alternatives.
I am thinking maybe Debian testing is not the best choice for you, but that is another topic:
https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debi ... .html#s3.1
Last edited by cuckooflew on 2020-06-22 04:49, edited 1 time in total.
Please Read What we expect you have already Done
Search Engines know a lot, and
"If God had wanted computers to work all the time, He wouldn't have invented RESET buttons"
and
Just say NO to help vampires!

name

#5 Post by name »

The grub menu is not a full command line interface, I can see you have really done a lot of research, and of course read all the documentation about installing , including the wiki,
name » I found information on how to install missing non-free firmware in the Debian wiki, but that was only relative to the installation of the OS, saying how if the installer detects any non-free hardware requiring firmware, it will prompt the user to install said firmware - which never happened during my Debian installation, strangely enough.
I would've asked directly how to open a command line interface, but ultimately I didn't and basically just showed that I done it incorrectly out of the fear of being called a troll due to how noobish that sounds.. :oops: heh heh....
but maybe consider re-reading, before you install, instead of later after the install did not work. Probably the easiest approach now is to try installing again, I had similar problems the first time I installed Debian, but the second try went better,
from : https://wiki.debian.org/FirmwareIn some cases, firmware supplied on removable media may not be detected automatically (e.g. 740503). In these situations, drop to the console and manually mount (see mount(8)) your removable storage on a temporary directory (e.g. /media).

Alternatively, you can use one of the parallel installer image builds that also include all the non-free firmware packages directly. We have "netinst" CD images and also DVD installer images - see http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unoff ... -firmware/
I seemed to have looked past some solutions that were right under my nose. I especially looked past this -
In some cases, firmware supplied on removable media may not be detected automatically
I used one of the alternate Debian images with the non-free firmware pre-packaged, and I remember getting the same error as my current problem. I forgot weather the image was stable or testing though... I say this because I don't know for certain if the non-free testing image contains additional, more recent firmware compared to the non-free stable image.
I am thinking maybe Debian testing is not the best choice for you, but that is another topic:
Originally, I installed Debian testing to see if it would be a good distro for gaming. I moved from Manjaro, that of which I had been using for about a year, and I heard rumors about how Debian testing was considered to be quite stable compared to other bleeding edge distros. That was enough to gauge my interest, and that was why I didn't choose stable.

Thank you for pointing out the solutions within the wiki, I'll be trying them out to see if I get any luck with them.

stevepusser

#6 Post by stevepusser »

The Debian firmware packages are now eleven months old, and sadly lack any Navi firmware for your 5700 XT.

Debian testing has the newer kernel and Mesa necessary. You can search for "Navi" here, and you should turn up for getting and installing the firmware files manually. I help with the Debian-derived MX Linux, and in our case I ported over the Ubuntu "linux-firmware" package to make up for the missing newer firmware files. You can get it here, too: https://build.opensuse.org/package/show ... x-firmware
MX Linux packager and developer

name

#7 Post by name »

Well, I attempted to use the command proposed by cuckoo in the console to format the drive containing the acquired navi firmware without a partition table, after running into the installation prompt for firmware, and the console didn't even recognize the mkfs.vfat part of the command. I'm not doing this through the GRUB command line, as I've mistakenly done before, this is going through the Linux console, accessed by ctrl + alt + F3. This console - https://wiki.debian.org/Console

I'll have to look for alternative workarounds, since I'm unable to implement the proposed solutions.
Last edited by name on 2020-06-22 21:35, edited 1 time in total.

Head_on_a_Stick

#8 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

name wrote:how to boot into my system so I can install the missing firmware from there
Add either 2, 3 or 4 as a kernel command line parameter to boot to a console then use the 'nmtui' command to connect to the interweb (if needed), install the git command, clone the kernel.org repository containing the firmware, copy it to /lib/firmware, update the initramfs and reboot.

Simple :)
deadbang

name

#9 Post by name »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
name wrote:how to boot into my system so I can install the missing firmware from there
Add either 2, 3 or 4 as a kernel command line parameter to boot to a console then use the 'nmtui' command to connect to the interweb (if needed), install the git command, clone the kernel.org repository containing the firmware, copy it to /lib/firmware, update the initramfs and reboot.

Simple :)
I installed git, cloned the only repository I could find that seemed related to AMD graphics out of the couple hundred/thousand git repositories that were available, cloned the repository, copied it to /lib/firmware, and updated my initramfs. After i done that, I got quite a bit of prompts from the console saying basically stuff like this -

W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/vega20_rlc.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/raven2_rlc.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/arcturus_rlc.bin for module amdgpu
There's a hundred more prompts saying the same thing but with different code names, referring to different GPU models. Safe to say that I messed up somewhere within the process. Haven't restarted my computer, but given the results from the console, I'll have to try again.

name

#10 Post by name »

I think I finally found the correct firmware git repository for my GPU - https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/ke ... 2b42f76324
Found this through a phoronix article when searching for rx 5700 xt firmware. Going to try this out and see if I'm able to boot in properly afterwards. Definitely would not have found this by conventional means due to the generic name of the repository - kernel/git/firmware/linux-firmware.git - That could be referencing anything for all I know.

name

#11 Post by name »

I did it again this time with the navi 10 firmware linked from my previous post, and the same errors showed after I updated my initramfs, showing a bunch of firmwares missing for a couple dozen GPUs, including my navi 10. Rebooted the system and I get the same error about my firmware missing, with nothing being any different.

cuckooflew

#12 Post by cuckooflew »

stevepusser wrote:The Debian firmware packages are now eleven months old, and sadly lack any Navi firmware for your 5700 XT.

Debian testing has the newer kernel and Mesa necessary. You can search for "Navi" here, and you should turn up for getting and installing the firmware files manually. I help with the Debian-derived MX Linux, and in our case I ported over the Ubuntu "linux-firmware" package to make up for the missing newer firmware files. You can get it here, too: https://build.opensuse.org/package/show ... x-firmware
Is there some reason you don't try what stevepusser suggests ?
And
the console didn't even recognize the mkfs.vfat part of the command.
Sorry that did not work, but also, you really should show us YOUR console out put, and exactly how you typed the command, were you logged in as root ? only root can run that command, Do you know how to capture your console output, ?
One of the "other alternatives", I was talking about,
There are several other topics on the forum that go into great detail about this common problem, after all said and done, if this seems to complicated, ....there are alternatives.
is to just install this MX-19
see https://mxlinux.org/ for more details. It should just work, on your hardware.
I think Debian is going to be a lot of problems for you on that hardware.
Please Read What we expect you have already Done
Search Engines know a lot, and
"If God had wanted computers to work all the time, He wouldn't have invented RESET buttons"
and
Just say NO to help vampires!

stevepusser

#13 Post by stevepusser »

The OP would need the MX 19.2 "AHS" version to get the newer kernel and Mesa backported from testing or Sid, plus the linux-firmware package. Standard MX 19.2 just has the Buster Mesa and kernel with the same firmware as Debian backports. The OP just needs the linux-firmware package on Bullseye, though. Don't ask me why the delay in Debian firmware updates--IDK.

Yes, 5700XTs have been reported to successfully boot up to a GUI and work on the AHS version. It stands for Advanced Hardware Section and is pronounced like "Oz". I, and now with help from SwampWabbit, are working hard to backport packages to keep it current--he just added Mesa 20.1.1, for example...my current laptop:

$ inxi -G
Graphics:  Device-1: Intel UHD Graphics 630 driver: i915 v: kernel 
           Device-2: NVIDIA GP107M [GeForce GTX 1050 Ti Mobile] driver: N/A 
           Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.4 driver: intel resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz 
           OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel UHD Graphics 630 (CFL GT2) v: 4.6 Mesa 20.1.1 

Head_on_a_Stick

#14 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

name wrote:Definitely would not have found this by conventional means due to the generic name of the repository
What a ridiculous assertion :roll:

I told you to "clone the kernel.org repository containing the firmware" and if I enter "kernel.org firmware" into the search box at startpage.com this is the top result:

https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/ke ... rmware.git

So here's a step-by-step guide for you:

git clone https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/firmware/linux-firmware.git
cp -r linux-firmware/amd* /lib/firmware/
# update-initramfs -u -k all
This isn't the first time I've posted those steps on these boards so you really should work on your search-fu before proceeding any further...
deadbang

stevepusser

#15 Post by stevepusser »

The firmware actually comes with a Makefile, so can be installed with "make install" as root or with sudo. That requires that make be installed.

stevepusser

#16 Post by stevepusser »

Hmmm--we actually have an OEM installing the MX 19.2 AHS edition on an Intel tenth gen laptop, which does require the newer kernel and Mesa: https://starlabs.systems/pages/laptops