Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Computer dedicated to Linux

Need help with peripherals or devices?
gregory99

Computer dedicated to Linux

#1 Post by gregory99 »

Hi I want to build a computer(desktop) for Debian and I don't know what to buy, I have some knowledge in gaming hardware but not much on Linux. (If you think I should use another OS please tell me but I want it free, open source and not proprietary, and not so easy that I wouldn't learn a thing about Linux)
I want to use it for programming, I have a decent budget so don't hesitate to propose something expensive.

I'd like it to be as eco friendly as possible and yet powerful enough so I would never have to change computers in the next 5 years while learning computer science. I would also like to be able to play Dota 2 and any indie game (even those with good graphics like Firewatch but I dont't think I'll ever play an AAA on it).

Thank you, for your time.

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Computer dedicated to Linux

#3 Post by CwF »

My "WinTV quad-HD" have 'win' in the name! They have been flawless since Stretch, though need firmware, like most things.

LE_746F6D617A7A69

#4 Post by LE_746F6D617A7A69 »

One of the most important, but often underestimated component of the desktop PC is the case.
Best PC case in the market today: Fractal Design series

PSU: cheap Chieftec 500..600W - very good qality/price factor, don't waste your money on Ultimate/SuperSilent/BlackEdition PSUs - they are not worth it.

CPU: If not Theadripper, then obviously one of the Ryzens: best price/performance/power_consumption factor.
IMO 3700X is the most optimal choice: very low power consumption, 8 cores/16 threads. Under Linux all the cores are automatically boosted to over 4GHz, but the exact frequency depends on CPU temperature.

MOBO: Definitely nothing X570-based - this chipset requires active cooling -> problems. Besides, PCI-E 4.0 is useless today -> better wait for X670 ;). As for today, I would suggest to buy some high quality X470-based MB, my personal choice: Asrock Taichi Ultimate X470 - 100% linux compatible, excellent BIOS interface.
Remark: X470 MB may require BIOS upgrade to support 3rd gen Ryzen Matisse series.

RAM: anything with XMP2.0 support, rated @3200MHz, of course, the shorter timings the better ...

GFX: Here we have a problem, because Buster uses old Mesa version v18.3 - no support for newest GFX cards - I would suggest to install testing (Bullseye) which has Mesa v20.1
With Mesa v20 practically all new cards will work.

As for the GFX model - it really depends what You like, f.e for AMD: RX580 .... AMD Pro, NV: GTX 1080 ... RTX 2080.

Of course this is only my personal opinion, and You should do Your own research anyway.

Regards
Bill Gates: "(...) In my case, I went to the garbage cans at the Computer Science Center and I fished out listings of their operating system."
The_full_story and Nothing_have_changed

stevepusser

#5 Post by stevepusser »

With Mesa v20 practically all new cards will work.
Not so fast there, pardner! What about Debian's old firmware problem?
MX Linux packager and developer

LE_746F6D617A7A69

#6 Post by LE_746F6D617A7A69 »

stevepusser wrote:Not so fast there, pardner! What about Debian's old firmware problem?
Ha! You can get the latest firmware from MX repo! :mrgreen:
Bill Gates: "(...) In my case, I went to the garbage cans at the Computer Science Center and I fished out listings of their operating system."
The_full_story and Nothing_have_changed