Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[SOLVED] Dependencies installing nvidia drivers in debian 10

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
ratrace

[SOLVED] Dependencies installing nvidia drivers in debian 10

#1 Post by ratrace »

I have nvidia gtx 950 gpu in my debian 10, 64bit system. Because my new asus BE27AQLB screen is not working correctly, i want to install nvidia drivers, in case that this is the problem.

I did everything that this article in debian wiki describes, but the command apt install -t buster-backports nvidia-driver gives me this outcome

Code: Select all

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 nvidia-driver : PreDepends: nvidia-installer-cleanup but it is not installable
                 PreDepends: nvidia-legacy-check (>= 396) but it is not going to be installed
                 Depends: nvidia-driver-libs (= 440.82-1~bpo10+1) but it is not going to be installed
                 Depends: nvidia-driver-bin (= 440.82-1~bpo10+1) but it is not going to be installed
                 Depends: xserver-xorg-video-nvidia (= 440.82-1~bpo10+1) but it is not going to be installed
                 Depends: nvidia-vdpau-driver (= 440.82-1~bpo10+1) but it is not going to be installed
                 Depends: nvidia-alternative (= 440.82-1~bpo10+1) but it is not going to be installed
                 Depends: nvidia-kernel-dkms (= 440.82-1~bpo10+1) but it is not going to be installed or
                          nvidia-kernel-440.82
                 Depends: nvidia-support but it is not installable
                 Recommends: nvidia-settings (>= 440) but it is not going to be installed
                 Recommends: libnvidia-cfg1 (= 440.82-1~bpo10+1) but it is not going to be installed
                 Recommends: nvidia-persistenced but it is not installable
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
I already modified the /etc/apt/source.list to include contrib non-free
Last edited by ratrace on 2020-06-28 05:43, edited 2 times in total.

ruwolf

Re: Dependencies in installing nvidia drivers in debian 10

#2 Post by ruwolf »

Can you run in default environment? E.g. command:

LANG=C; apt install -t buster-backports nvidia-driver
Because majority of members of this forum probably does not understand Greek language...

BTW, I usually install in aptitude, because in case of conflicts it usually give me several solutions...

stevepusser

#3 Post by stevepusser »

That card is several years old, and should be supported by the standard drivers in the non-free section, not backports. The wiki says you should install and run "nvidia-detect" first of all--so what driver version did it say to install?
MX Linux packager and developer

ratrace

#4 Post by ratrace »

stevepusser wrote:That card is several years old, and should be supported by the standard drivers in the non-free section, not backports. The wiki says you should install and run "nvidia-detect" first of all--so what driver version did it say to install?
The outcome of nvidia-detect

Detected NVIDIA GPUs:
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: NVIDIA Corporation GM206 [GeForce GTX 950] [10de:1402] (rev a1)

Checking card:  NVIDIA Corporation GM206 [GeForce GTX 950] (rev a1)
Your card is supported by the default drivers and legacy driver series 390.
It is recommended to install the
    nvidia-driver
package.
I supposed that it will be better to install the latest driver, but now i understand that i should install
Version 390.132 (supported devices)

Supports Fermi, Kepler, Maxwell, and most Pascal GPUs. Supports Vulkan 1.0 on Kepler and newer, supports up to OpenGL 4.5 depending on your card.
Is that right?

stevepusser

#5 Post by stevepusser »

Yes, disable the buster-backports repo, and just use the contrib and non-free sections in the normal Buster repo entry, per the wiki. I'm pretty sure that the standard Buster nvidia-driver is 418.74 now, though, and the 390 driver is now the legacy 390xx driver--perhaps you have an older nvidia-detect.
MX Linux packager and developer