Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[Solved] select text with mouse in okular

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
peer

[Solved] select text with mouse in okular

#1 Post by peer »

os Debian Testing Kde
I open a pdf file in Okular
Then I select piece of text with the mouse.
When I release the mousebutton the zoomfunction is triggered. I can not copy the text.

If I open the same pdf file in Master Pdf Editor I can select and copy text.

How can I change the behaviour of the mouse in Okular so that I can copy and select text with the mouse???
Last edited by peer on 2020-06-29 05:11, edited 1 time in total.

arochester
Emeritus
Emeritus

Re: select text with mouse in okular

#2 Post by arochester »

DRM
By default, Okular follows the PDF specification and don't allow copying text from DRM protected files. However, there is an option in the settings to disable DRM limitations in Settings -> General -> Program Features -> Obey DRM limitations

There was a small controversy in the Debian bug tracker a long time ago, about the default choice to Obey DRM limitations[4][5]. The choice was then explained by an Okular/KPdf developer[6].
Source - https://userbase.kde.org/Okular/zh-cn#: ... imitations.

peer

#3 Post by peer »

Heoo arochester,

thanks for your response. But the files that I try to open are not DRM protected.
Nevertheless I disabled the DRMsettings and opened a pdf files. When I select a word with the mouse the zoom function is called. That is not what I want. I want to copy the text.

LE_746F6D617A7A69

#4 Post by LE_746F6D617A7A69 »

I have Debian testing installed in a VM, and I've just installed Okular -> both text, area and table selection just works. No problems with zooming.

Tested using few PDF files from GNU manuals website:
https://www.gnu.org/manual/manual.html
Okular version: 1.10.2

Have You installed all recent updates?
Bill Gates: "(...) In my case, I went to the garbage cans at the Computer Science Center and I fished out listings of their operating system."
The_full_story and Nothing_have_changed

peer

#5 Post by peer »

all updates are installed. It must be a setting somewhere.

edit:
I just found it.
Under 'Tools" the bullite 'Zoom'was selected. I changed this to 'Text Selection'. Now it works OK!