Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Nvidia-driver for gtx 1070 [solved]

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
larry77

Nvidia-driver for gtx 1070 [solved]

#1 Post by larry77 »

Dear All,
Apologies for the long post. Right now on my box (debian stable) I use a rather seasoned graphic card.

Code: Select all

$ lspci | grep -i --color 'vga\|3d\|2d'
05:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GF108 [GeForce GT 630] (rev a1)
I do not use it for gaming or gpu computing. I have nothing from nvidia installed and no issues whatsoever with nouveau.
However, I cannot use this card for GPU computing. Soon (hopefully tomorrow given when I write this) I will get a gtx 1070 with 8Gb of memory which will be enough at least to get me started. Leaving aside the issues of using 2 cards on my box, for now I just plan to replace the old card.
It appears that for a number of algorithms I need to install nvidia-driver, see for instance

https://catboost.ai/docs/installation/c ... aries.html

At the moment, these are the kernels installed on my system

Code: Select all

$ dpkg --list | grep linux-image | grep ii
ii  linux-image-4.19.0-9-amd64                4.19.118-2+deb10u1                           amd64        Linux 4.19 for 64-bit PCs (signed)
ii  linux-image-5.7.0-6.4-liquorix-amd64      5.7-6.1~buster                               amd64        Linux 5.7 for 64-bit PCs
ii  linux-image-liquorix-amd64                5.7-6.1~buster                               amd64        Linux image for liquorix on 64-bit PCs
I need several words of wisdom. I am number person, but not a software engineer. My goal is to get the bare minimum installed so that in some code I can set up a flag for GPU and forget about it.
In the past, I had no end of trouble with nvidia and company, in particular when installing a new kernel.
The dream would be to install the nvidia stuff that I need and then whenever a new kernel is available, having everything automagically setup for the new kernel.
The nightmare is not to be able to raise any graphical desktop on my system.
I suppose the reality is in the middle. If there no support in debian for nvidia-driver for kernels 5.7.x, but I can get it to work with the 4.19 kernel, well, I can live with that. I still would like my system to be bootable an usable regardless of the kernel I load (if then I need 4.19 for GPU computing, I will accept that).

Finally, in case it helps, I add this link

http://rglinuxtech.com/?p=2761

and I should say I have zero experience in installing drivers directly provided from nvidia.

Any suggestion is appreciated!
Last edited by larry77 on 2020-11-22 22:04, edited 1 time in total.

stevepusser

Re: Nvidia-driver for gtx 1070

#2 Post by stevepusser »

The GTX 1070 is supported by the standard non-free 418.113 driver in the non-free section of the Debian repos.

Install and run nvidia-detect first to confirm that, then install per the wiki: https://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsDrivers

For CUDA, follow the wiki instructions.
MX Linux packager and developer

larry77

#3 Post by larry77 »

Thanks.
I got this far, but I understood you wrote in another post that nvidia-driver is not really compatible with kernel 5.7.x.
Or have I misunderstood?

stevepusser

#4 Post by stevepusser »

Yes, you'll have to wait for a 5.7-compatible driver to hit buster-backports. It's the upstream 440.82-2 revision that has the patch for 5.7, and that's not in buster-backports,,,though I already did it for MX Linux, the backport is rather simple. There are also some other drivers that aren't in backports yet, either. i had to import a patch from Arch Linux and add it to the bbswitch build to get my Optimus laptops to keep working with Bumblebee on the new kernel.

https://packages.debian.org/bullseye/nvidia-driver

So, you should be OK up to kernel 5.6 with the present drivers in backports.

larry77

#5 Post by larry77 »

Thanks a lot!
I followed your advice also recently and I managed a combination of backported kernel 5.8+nvidia driver + cuda which actually works (I had horrific experiences with the nvidia drivers/kernel).

stevepusser

Re: Nvidia-driver for gtx 1070 [solved]

#6 Post by stevepusser »

Just a note that the only the Nvidia driver in Experimental is supposed to support CUDA on 5.9 kernels at present--but only experimentally.

larry77

Re: Nvidia-driver for gtx 1070 [solved]

#7 Post by larry77 »

Thanks. No need to go beyond 5.8 for me for now :-).