Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Is it possible to split / & /home into separate partitions?

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
Mr. Lumbergh

Is it possible to split / & /home into separate partitions?

#1 Post by Mr. Lumbergh »

When I installed Buster I went ahead and let it put / and /home on a single partition with lvm. I have another distro whose installer automatically created a separate / and /home partition on its disk and I had an issue crop up over the weekend with it that made me see the value in that.
Is it possible to reconfigure the partitions on Debian using a similar scheme without a complete repave?

cuckooflew

Re: Is it possible to split / & /home into separate partitio

#2 Post by cuckooflew »

yes it is possible
Please Read What we expect you have already Done
Search Engines know a lot, and
"If God had wanted computers to work all the time, He wouldn't have invented RESET buttons"
and
Just say NO to help vampires!

Mr. Lumbergh

#3 Post by Mr. Lumbergh »

cuckooflew wrote:yes it is possible
I guess I also should ask then, what would be the best workflow to achieve this?

cuckooflew

#4 Post by cuckooflew »

You can find information on how to do that if you do a search, there are various good tutorials.
As for the "best" methods, I guess that is what you mean by
the best workflow to achieve this?
?
1st, make a good back up of your current system, and /home , in case something goes wrong , you will need the back up.
Next resize your current / partition, to make room for a new partition.,
next, and also I would like to point out just use some logic, the nest step is create a new partiton, label it as home, then copy your old /home directory to the new home partition. You may also need to do some re-configuring or editing you "fstab" file.
Using the same words you used as the title:

Code: Select all

Is it possible to split / & /home into separate partitions on Debian? 
Copy /paste into a search engine, there are some very good tutorials that will show in the results, as for the best one, you can read them and then decide which one is best for you.
It is best to use a "live' CD or USB , one that has partitioning tools, etc on it. Use your favourite tool, if you do not have a live CD or USB device, I suggest making one first, you can even have the copy of your old /home partition on it, ready to copy to the new partition. If you don't know how to create and make a live CD or USB device, you will need to do some searches, there are also many good tutorials on that available. That is about it, in a nutshell any way. The best "work flow", is to read and understand all the things you need to do, have everything ready, eg:the live usb device or CD, if you use a CD, you will still want to have a USB storage device any way. There are a lot of minor details, and it is to much to write in 1 post, but read some documentation, there is plenty, and you will learn all the details, EG: 'man fdisk' or partd , or gparted or your favourite partitioning tool. Have fun
"If God had wanted computers to work all the time, He wouldn't have invented RESET buttons"
and

cuckooflew

#5 Post by cuckooflew »

Here is a couple of tutorials, if you don't like them there are more, just search for them.
https://www.tecmint.com/move-home-direc ... -in-linux/
==============================================
https://www.maketecheasier.com/move-home-folder-ubuntu/
==========================================
another: https://unix.stackexchange.com/question ... -partition
=======================
yet another: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Partitioning
And so on, ......
For this , it does not matter what distro it says, ubuntu,archlinux,linux mint, etc..they all are i ok,...just be sure you don't install any ubuntu packages on your Debian system, ...https://wiki.debian.org/DontBreakDebian
and