Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

amdgpu and kernels newer than 5.2 - video issues

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
milomak

amdgpu and kernels newer than 5.2 - video issues

#1 Post by milomak »

so i have noticed that i get the below when trying to upgrade to kernels newer than 5.2

Code: Select all

W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/navi12_gpu_info.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/arcturus_gpu_info.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/arcturus_ta.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/arcturus_asd.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/arcturus_sos.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/navi12_ta.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/navi12_asd.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/navi12_sos.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/navi14_ta.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/vega20_ta.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/arcturus_rlc.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/arcturus_mec2.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/arcturus_mec.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/navi12_rlc.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/navi12_mec2.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/navi12_mec.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/navi12_me.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/navi12_pfp.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/navi12_ce.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/arcturus_sdma.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/navi12_sdma1.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/navi12_sdma.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/navi10_mes.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/navi12_vcn.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/arcturus_vcn.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/navi12_smc.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/arcturus_smc.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/navi12_dmcu.bin for module amdgpu
inxi -F reports my graphics as being

Graphics:  Device-1: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Amethyst [Radeon R9 M395/ M395X Mac Edition] 
           driver: amdgpu v: kernel 
           Device-2: Apple FaceTime HD Camera (Built-in) type: USB driver: uvcvideo 
           Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.8 driver: amdgpu,ati unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,vesa 
           resolution: 2560x1440~60Hz 
           OpenGL: renderer: AMD RADEON R9 M390X (TONGA DRM 3.32.0 5.2.0-21.2-liquorix-amd64 LLVM 10.0.0) 
           v: 4.6 Mesa 20.1.2
i have also noticed hat the boot time is significantly slower and sometimes i am unable to boot into a number of desktop environments without error

i have tried to to find what could be the cause and i am wondering whether the card is just too old and support has been dropped for it since the last kernel that worked for me

5.2.0-21.2-liquorix-amd64
i have tried the vanilla kernels and they also prop up the same errors. the latest being

linux-image-5.7.0-1-amd64
i have tried many solutions that require pulling git repositories but these have not helped these particular files
Desktop: A320M-A PRO MAX, AMD Ryzen 5 3600, GALAX GeForce RTX™ 2060 Super EX (1-Click OC) - Sid, Win10, Arch Linux, Gentoo, Solus
Laptop: hp 250 G8 i3 11th Gen - Sid
Kodi: AMD Athlon 5150 APU w/Radeon HD 8400 - Sid

Head_on_a_Stick

Re: amdgpu and kernels newer than 5.2 - video issues

#2 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

milomak wrote:i am unable to boot into a number of desktop environments without error
You should probably post these mysterious errors. Or enter them into a search engine, which may be quicker than awaiting a reply here.

The messages in your first code block are warnings rather than errors and some of them refer to firmware for which the hardware hasn't been released yet. AMD like to get ahead of the game and will submit drivers early.
milomak wrote:i have tried many solutions that require pulling git repositories but these have not helped these particular files
Please share these failed solutions so we don't waste our time posting links to https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/ke ... ree/amdgpu or the like.
deadbang

milomak

#3 Post by milomak »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote: You should probably post these mysterious errors. Or enter them into a search engine, which may be quicker than awaiting a reply here.
fair
The messages in your first code block are warnings rather than errors and some of them refer to firmware for which the hardware hasn't been released yet. AMD like to get ahead of the game and will submit drivers early.
so my video issues start from the first instance i start getting these errors. hence why i ask whether it may be the case that my particular card is no longer supported.
Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
milomak wrote:i have tried many solutions that require pulling git repositories but these have not helped these particular files
Please share these failed solutions so we don't waste our time posting links to https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/ke ... ree/amdgpu or the like.
in your link you will see that for instance the first file posted as a warning in my op navi12_gpu_info.bin is not in the link you provide

i have gone through may links that purport to talk this issue but don't have these files
Desktop: A320M-A PRO MAX, AMD Ryzen 5 3600, GALAX GeForce RTX™ 2060 Super EX (1-Click OC) - Sid, Win10, Arch Linux, Gentoo, Solus

Head_on_a_Stick

#4 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

milomak wrote:whether it may be the case that my particular card is no longer supported
As a general rule the Linux developers do not remove support for hardware but regressions are unfortunately common so perhaps try https://wiki.debian.org/DebianKernel/GitBisect
milomak wrote:navi12_gpu_info.bin is not in the link you provide
That firmware doesn't seem to be available yet but neither is the hardware for which it is required (AFAIK).
deadbang

stevepusser

#5 Post by stevepusser »

You should also make it clear that you're using Sid/Bullseye or (hopefully not) a FrankenDebian, since llvm-10 is not availabe in stable or stable-backports, which introduces its own set of complications.
MX Linux packager and developer

milomak

#6 Post by milomak »

stevepusser wrote:You should also make it clear that you're using Sid/Bullseye or (hopefully not) a FrankenDebian, since llvm-10 is not availabe in stable or stable-backports, which introduces its own set of complications.
i thought my signature sorted that out

but i'll take the point that people don't necessarily look at them

stevepusser

#7 Post by stevepusser »

Maybe do some graphic benchmarks between the different kernels to see if performance is degraded. The firmware warnings are just because the Debian firmware is a year old now and far behind the kernels, but your GPU is not outdated and the warnings can be ignored in your case.
MX Linux packager and developer