Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Unable to set up HP printer in Debian Testing

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
samsonite

Unable to set up HP printer in Debian Testing

#1 Post by samsonite »

Hello, I am new here, but been using Debian for a while (and derivatives before that).

I am trying to set up a network printer (HP OfficeJet 6700 Premium) on a fresh Debian Testing installation.

The issue I am having is a little strange because I have 3 Debian Testing machines on the same network. 2 machines can print and the one I am having trouble with was able to print a day ago, but I rebuilt the machine on a new HDD and simply installed Debian 10 and moved to Testing. So I am not sure why I am having so much trouble having set this up quite a few times on the same and different hardware.

What I have tried:

Installed hplip via APT - installed with no issues.
Ran hp-setup which found the network printer straight away and all looked good. As I proceeded, a message came up saying there was no suitable PPD file. In the terminal there were the following messages:
error: No PPD found for model officejet_6700 using old algorithm.
error: No appropriate print PPD file found for model officejet_6700

I did find the PPD file for this printer from downloading the whole HPLIP tar.gz and extracted it and pointed to it, but the hp-setup UI did not seem to acknowledge me picking it and when I tried going further the app UI just disappeared and I was left with this in the terminal:

Code: Select all

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/share/hplip/ui5/setupdialog.py", line 1316, in NextButton_clicked
    self.addPrinter()
  File "/usr/share/hplip/ui5/setupdialog.py", line 1010, in addPrinter
    print_sts = self.setupPrinter()
  File "/usr/share/hplip/ui5/setupdialog.py", line 1049, in setupPrinter
    if not os.path.exists(self.print_ppd[0]): # assume foomatic: or some such
TypeError: 'NoneType' object is not subscriptable
Aborted
I thought I would see what Print Settings might do (via the Cinnamon menu) and I remember doing this on other machines in addition to HPLIP setup. Here it found my network printer again very easily, but on trying to install the printer (or just add it), it waited for a while "Searching for drivers" then gave a dialog saying: "There was an error during the CUPS operation: 'Success'."

I had not tried this before but went to localhost:631 and tried adding a printer via CUPS using the Web interface, but similar success (i.e. none):
Add Printer HP_Officejet_6700 Error
Unable to get list of printer drivers:

Success

Slightly confused by the two CUPS messages giving an error message of "Success", but I am sure there is an explanation.

Any help appreciated - having confidently set this same printer up on 3 Debian machines over the past year or so and never having a major issue, I am feeling like I know nothing now...

I have searched for the various messages online, but not found anything that works or answers to this particular issue.

Thanks

milomak

Re: Unable to set up HP printer in Debian Testing

#2 Post by milomak »

maybe print what your cups looks like when you login

also the hp tool and what it shows
Desktop: A320M-A PRO MAX, AMD Ryzen 5 3600, GALAX GeForce RTX™ 2060 Super EX (1-Click OC) - Sid, Win10, Arch Linux, Gentoo, Solus
Laptop: hp 250 G8 i3 11th Gen - Sid
Kodi: AMD Athlon 5150 APU w/Radeon HD 8400 - Sid

Bulkley

#3 Post by Bulkley »

samsonite wrote:The issue I am having is a little strange because I have 3 Debian Testing machines on the same network.
You have a network using development release? That's risky. Testing breaks occasionally. I hope you have regular backup.

milomak

#4 Post by milomak »

Bulkley wrote:
samsonite wrote:The issue I am having is a little strange because I have 3 Debian Testing machines on the same network.
You have a network using development release? That's risky. Testing breaks occasionally. I hope you have regular backup.
testing and sid are quite resilient. once you play in the environment, the only obstacle is a drunken you updating the system

and eventhe, most times you will probably come out unscathed. but of course the one time can be the one that sends you to icu.
Desktop: A320M-A PRO MAX, AMD Ryzen 5 3600, GALAX GeForce RTX™ 2060 Super EX (1-Click OC) - Sid, Win10, Arch Linux, Gentoo, Solus
Laptop: hp 250 G8 i3 11th Gen - Sid
Kodi: AMD Athlon 5150 APU w/Radeon HD 8400 - Sid

Bulkley

#5 Post by Bulkley »

milomak wrote:testing and sid are quite resilient.
That's not the point. Network servers should be rock solid. Development releases can break. It happens and we all know that. Yes, it may be an home network that doesn't matter very much but who needs a family member running on nitro because a routine upgrade wrecked game play? :lol:

cuckooflew

#6 Post by cuckooflew »

That's not the point either, but anyway,

I have not experienced this problem myself, and I am using Debian testing/sid, how ever I do find this:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/CU ... leshooting
The best way to get printing working is to set 'LogLevel' in /etc/cups/cupsd.conf to:

LogLevel debug 
And then viewing the output from /var/log/cups/error_log like this:

# tail -n 100 -f /var/log/cups/error_log 
Also, since it is "testing", you might consider submitting a bug report with the details, including the log info.
I am assuming you do know how to submit a bug report,these reports are of importance for the Debian Testing, you know,so they can try to fix any known bugs, bugs that do not get reported are not likely to get fixed. Thank you
==== edited ====
I forgot, have you tried starting it as root,or sudo ?
And a long time ago,on a older Debian version, some one did this:

sudo systemctl start org.cups.cupsd 
then:

sudo systemctl enable org.cups.cupsd 
I have searched for the various messages online, but not found anything that works or answers to this particular issue.
Maybe consider telling us which ones you tried, I see there are a lot of results, and a lot of possible solutions,no point in suggesting things you all ready tried. Thank you again.
Please Read What we expect you have already Done
Search Engines know a lot, and
"If God had wanted computers to work all the time, He wouldn't have invented RESET buttons"
and
Just say NO to help vampires!

arid

#7 Post by arid »

Well gee whiz, it took me all of one minute to set up your printer and I don't even have one. :shock:

How about going to

http://localhost:631/
with your browser.

To make changes you need to log in as root & root password when it asks.

The HP OfficeJet 6700 PPD is certainly in there: Three times for some reason.

You are running sid aren't you?

If not then no wonder you have problems.

Live in the past and I guess you miss out. :mrgreen:
There's no drama in my sid......