Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Debian Bullseye: AMD i386 doesn't supported? [SOLVED]

Need help with peripherals or devices?
GabrieleMax

Debian Bullseye: AMD i386 doesn't supported? [SOLVED]

#1 Post by GabrieleMax »

I'm trying to install Debian Bullseye on a AMD i386 architecture but Spectre V2 (Spectre mitigation) blocked me just after I select install (or expert install) and I can just reboot the machine :\

I tryed also to invoke the console by ctrl+alt+canc but nothing happens! :(

I could try to install Buster and after it to upgrade to Bullseye or should I write to the Debian's team to solve the issue with Bullseye?

GabrieleMax
Last edited by GabrieleMax on 2020-07-29 11:26, edited 1 time in total.

arochester
Emeritus
Emeritus

Re: Debian Bullseye: AMD i386 doesn't supported?

#2 Post by arochester »

[quote]For Spectre v2 the fix (available for both Intel and AMD processors, not yet for ARM), the fix comes in the form of a retpoline mechanism. It requires use of a compiler (GCC) that is compatible, so users will need to update accomplying fixes as well. The Spectre-inhibiting mechanism can be turned of. To do so, use the spectre_v2=off option at boot time.[/quote] Source - https://vinfrastructure.it/2018/02/usin ... n-spectre/

You should invoke the console by using ctrl+alt+F1...

arochester
Emeritus
Emeritus

#3 Post by arochester »

For Spectre v2 the fix (available for both Intel and AMD processors, not yet for ARM), the fix comes in the form of a retpoline mechanism. It requires use of a compiler (GCC) that is compatible, so users will need to update accomplying fixes as well. The Spectre-inhibiting mechanism can be turned of. To do so, use the spectre_v2=off option at boot time.
Source - https://vinfrastructure.it/2018/02/usin ... n-spectre/

You should invoke the console by using ctrl+alt+F1...

Head_on_a_Stick

#4 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

GabrieleMax wrote:I'm trying to install Debian Bullseye on a AMD i386 architecture but Spectre V2 (Spectre mitigation) blocked me
How did it "block" you? What actually happened? Describe what you saw rather than your interpretation of it.
deadbang

GabrieleMax

#5 Post by GabrieleMax »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
GabrieleMax wrote:I'm trying to install Debian Bullseye on a AMD i386 architecture but Spectre V2 (Spectre mitigation) blocked me
How did it "block" you? What actually happened? Describe what you saw rather than your interpretation of it.
1) I insert a netinstall i386 cd in my pc (Buster or Bullseye)
2) I can see on the screen how I'd like to load Debian (rougly is the same screen from Debian 4 when I start to use it!)
3) I select Install (not graphical install) I also tryed expert install
4) The system load on the black screen a lot of error messages and I can't see the real first Debian screen when it needs to select language, etc.
5) I can't go in the console mode (ctrl+alt+F1)
6) I tryed to use the help feature where you can select other kind of boots, here I wrote "install spectre_v2=off" but nothing changes.

I got two pc with the same motherboard (Abit KT7a-raid) one with Athlon 800 and another one with Athlon 1200, I have the same issue on both machines, maybe Debian finished to support this architecture... :(

Head_on_a_Stick

#6 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

GabrieleMax wrote:5) I can't go in the console mode (ctrl+alt+F1)
I'm pretty sure the text installer uses TTY1, did you try the others? TTY4 is reserved for any error messages.

Why do you think the Spectre V2 mitigations have anything to do with this?
deadbang

stevepusser

#7 Post by stevepusser »

How old is this Athlon hardware that it doesn't support 64-bit?

If that old, it may not even support PAE, which the standard Debian kernel requires. Maybe you could try the version of antiX with the 486 compatible kernel instead.
MX Linux packager and developer

GabrieleMax

#8 Post by GabrieleMax »

stevepusser wrote:How old is this Athlon hardware that it doesn't support 64-bit?

If that old, it may not even support PAE, which the standard Debian kernel requires. Maybe you could try the version of antiX with the 486 compatible kernel instead.
My Athlon 1200 and 800 are 32bit, I'll try with Free BSD i386...

GabrieleMax

[SOLVED] Debian Bullseye: AMD i386 doesn't supported?

#9 Post by GabrieleMax »

GabrieleMax wrote:
stevepusser wrote:How old is this Athlon hardware that it doesn't support 64-bit?

My Athlon 1200 and 800 are 32bit, I'll try with Free BSD i386...
I tryied bios safe mode, ESCD was updated and now I can load the Bullseye i386 cd but now... I saw Bullseye doesn't recognize my Promise pci SATA 300 tx2 card, Bullseye needs external drivers but I didn't find them on internet, with Buster the pci card is ok!

GabrieleMax

Head_on_a_Stick

Re: [SOLVED] Debian Bullseye: AMD i386 doesn't supported?

#10 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

GabrieleMax wrote:I saw Bullseye doesn't recognize my Promise pci SATA 300 tx2 card
Did you check dmesg(8) for any errors?
GabrieleMax wrote:Bullseye needs external drivers
Highly unlikely, the kernel contains drivers for just about everything. A regression is probably the cause but this is off-topic so please mark the thread [SOLVED] and open another one if you can't figure out the card issue.
deadbang

GabrieleMax

Re: [SOLVED] Debian Bullseye: AMD i386 doesn't supported?

#11 Post by GabrieleMax »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote: Highly unlikely, the kernel contains drivers for just about everything. A regression is probably the cause but this is off-topic so please mark the thread [SOLVED] and open another one if you can't figure out the card issue.
I did both, thanks! :)

GabrieleMax