Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

HP DL360 install w/JBOD

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
cds60601
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

HP DL360 install w/JBOD

#1 Post by cds60601 »

Quick question - is there an "easy" way to setup my DL360 to do JBOD for my soon-to-be-new server effectively bypassing the raid controller?
Of course, the key word being "easy", lol
Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious

cuckooflew

Re: HP DL360 install w/JBOD

#2 Post by cuckooflew »

It depends on what you consider "easy", in my opinion No but someone else might say yes.
Can you explain why you don't just use a hardware-based RAID controller ?
Please Read What we expect you have already Done
Search Engines know a lot, and
"If God had wanted computers to work all the time, He wouldn't have invented RESET buttons"
and
Just say NO to help vampires!

cds60601
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#3 Post by cds60601 »

I agree - I also feel the same, it's not an easy task (for the most part) as in time involved etc.
As to the reason, I wasn't quite prepared to answer THAT one ;)
But to be honest, I just wanted to see how easily it could be done should I opt to go that path - again, for no particular reason.
However, seeing this as a guide, https://wiki.debian.org/HP/ProLiant lead to consider the JBOD route.
I am wondering though (as an alternative) how well this could work out under esxi

cuckooflew

#4 Post by cuckooflew »

---snip----effectively bypassing the raid controller?
I don't know that just bypassing it would work or is even possible, the raid controller should be disabled , and that is not a trivial task,also if you do some searches, finding any tutorial or instruction on Just a bunch of disks, ( JOBD) is not going to be easy, compared with raid0 which has lot's of instructions available,...
As to the reason, I wasn't quite prepared to answer THAT one ;)
But to be honest, I just wanted to see how easily it could be done should I opt to go that path - again, for no particular reason.
If you had valid reasons, then it would be necessary... I don't have the time nor desire to go into all the gory details though. Especially when there is no reason for it. That is to say, this is all I have to say on this, maybe someone else will be willing to go into more detail
Please Read What we expect you have already Done
Search Engines know a lot, and
"If God had wanted computers to work all the time, He wouldn't have invented RESET buttons"
and
Just say NO to help vampires!

LE_746F6D617A7A69

#5 Post by LE_746F6D617A7A69 »

First, JBOD is the worst choice one can imagine, and for server this is a shoot in the foot.
JBOD, just like RAID0 has zero fault tolerance - a single disk failure means loss of data, but unlike RAID0, JBOD is deadly slow.

However, installing Debian on any raid array is trivially easy, using mdadm - it is fully supported by the Debian installer in expert mode, and the JBOD array is called linear in mdadm nomenclature.

You may of course use built-in raid controller, but this is not the best option, because there can be problems with drivers and/or firmware and with regressions after updates - mdadm is the only reasonable way to go.
Besides, built-in raid controllers are usually fake-raids, and mdadm is much faster in such cases.

IMO the best option for small raid array is RAID10 built with 2 or 4 hard disks - best performance + redundancy.
Mdadm RAID10 have two basic array layouts: far or near stripe copies: far copies gives extreme read performance, while near copies are good for mixed R/W workload.

For SSD, RAID1 is the only option, because all the manufacturers are lying about the erase block size - so it's impossible to set optimal stripe size for higher RAID levels on SSD.
Bill Gates: "(...) In my case, I went to the garbage cans at the Computer Science Center and I fished out listings of their operating system."
The_full_story and Nothing_have_changed

cds60601
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#6 Post by cds60601 »

LE_746F6D617A7A69 wrote:First, JBOD is the worst choice one can imagine, and for server this is a shoot in the foot.
JBOD, just like RAID0 has zero fault tolerance - a single disk failure means loss of data, but unlike RAID0, JBOD is deadly slow.

However, installing Debian on any raid array is trivially easy, using mdadm - it is fully supported by the Debian installer in expert mode, and the JBOD array is called linear in mdadm nomenclature.

You may of course use built-in raid controller, but this is not the best option, because there can be problems with drivers and/or firmware and with regressions after updates - mdadm is the only reasonable way to go.
Besides, built-in raid controllers are usually fake-raids, and mdadm is much faster in such cases.
Interesting. I do realize the pitfalls of using JBOD and was being considered as a means but certainly not an end. This of course, is for a small home server and I certainly wouldn't consider JBOD in a corporate environment. Interestingly enough, I have not seen any feedback on the use of esxi with this setup. Of course it goes without saying the use of esxi offers additional benefits.

When I first got this server, I installed Debian as the lone system - didn't have any real issues. What I did see (more appropriately, hear) using Debian under esxi, was that the server never really ramped up the fans like it would if just Debian was installed (not just Debian, but any non virtual install of an OS). So in this scenario - I would most likely consider the use of esxi to maintain a happy wife and less frequent jet-engine ramp ups :)

LE_746F6D617A7A69

#7 Post by LE_746F6D617A7A69 »

cds60601 wrote:When I first got this server, I installed Debian as the lone system - didn't have any real issues. What I did see (more appropriately, hear) using Debian under esxi, was that the server never really ramped up the fans like it would if just Debian was installed (not just Debian, but any non virtual install of an OS). So in this scenario - I would most likely consider the use of esxi to maintain a happy wife and less frequent jet-engine ramp ups :)
Most likely this is because under ESXI the Debian kernel has no possibility control CPU frequency scaling.
You can have the same effect by using linux-cpupower or cpufrequtils packages -> i.e. set a fixed, lowest frequency for all the CPUs ;)

Now I'm running all my 16 cores @100% load @2.2GHz, fan @1000rpm -> complete silence :)

Last edited by LE_746F6D617A7A69 on 2020-07-24 17:57, edited 1 time in total.
Bill Gates: "(...) In my case, I went to the garbage cans at the Computer Science Center and I fished out listings of their operating system."
The_full_story and Nothing_have_changed

cds60601
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#8 Post by cds60601 »

LE_746F6D617A7A69 wrote:
cds60601 wrote:When I first got this server, I installed Debian as the lone system - didn't have any real issues. What I did see (more appropriately, hear) using Debian under esxi, was that the server never really ramped up the fans like it would if just Debian was installed (not just Debian, but any non virtual install of an OS). So in this scenario - I would most likely consider the use of esxi to maintain a happy wife and less frequent jet-engine ramp ups :)
Most likely this is because under ESXI the Debian kernel has no possibility control CPU frequency scaling.
You can have the same effect by using linux-cpupower or cpufrequtils packages -> i.e. set a fixed, lowest frequency for all the CPUs ;)

Now I'm running all my 16 cores @100% load @2.2GHz, fan @1000rpm -> complete silence :)
https://imgur.com/7PXCpgd
This very good to know! Thank you for the knowledge. I don't have anything against doing a VM. Would much rather use a solo OS.
This bit changes some things. Now I have a nice little project to look at this evening.