Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Buster's youtube-dl broken; update with Bullseye's.

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
Moltke

Buster's youtube-dl broken; update with Bullseye's.

#1 Post by Moltke »

Hi everyone! Hope you're all having a nice life and a wonderful-healthy 2020! :)

Hope this is the right place for this post. There's seem to be something wrong with youtube-dl's Buster version cause it kept giving me this error

Code: Select all

youtube says:video not available
and tried to update but got this

youtube-dl: error: youtube-dl's self-update mechanism is disabled on Debian. Please update youtube-dl using apt(8). See https://packages.debian.org/sid/youtube-dl for the latest packaged version.
thing is apt kept telling me that the latest youtube-dl version was installed, so I downloaded the .deb for testing a.k.a Bullseye, installed it, fortunately it gave me no errors nor was any package replaced/updated, no changes were made to the sources.list file and now youtube-dl works as expected. Is it possible that Buster's youtube-dl gets updated with Bullseye's as a regular update/upgrade via apt?

Head_on_a_Stick

Re: Buster's youtube-dl broken; update with Bullseye's.

#2 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Moltke wrote:Is it possible that Buster's youtube-dl gets updated with Bullseye's as a regular update/upgrade via apt?
No, that's not how Debian stable works.

But I might be wrong, try raising this issue via a bug report or on the mailing lists to see if the Debian developers consider this important enough to bump the package version. Just FYI there are no Debian developers here, hence the name of the forums.
deadbang

Moltke

#3 Post by Moltke »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
Moltke wrote:Is it possible that Buster's youtube-dl gets updated with Bullseye's as a regular update/upgrade via apt?
No, that's not how Debian stable works.

But I might be wrong, try raising this issue via a bug report or on the mailing lists to see if the Debian developers consider this important enough to bump the package version. Just FYI there are no Debian developers here, hence the name of the forums.
Oh, I see. Thanks for your answer and your suggestion, will do that.

peter_irich

#4 Post by peter_irich »

I don't now how in Debian, but in Ubuntu-18.04 youtube-dl installs from other source through pip.
pip is in python-pip package and installing command is:

pip [-U] install youtube-dl
Peter.

kedaha

#5 Post by kedaha »

I tried to backport it from sid to Buster but ran into:

dpkg-checkbuilddeps: error: Unmet build dependencies: debhelper-compat (= 13)
But there's a newer version in snap (if you don't mind snap), which may work OK.

# apt install snapd
# snap install youtube-dl
DebianStable

$ vrms

No non-free or contrib packages installed on debian!  rms would be proud.

Moltke

#6 Post by Moltke »

peter_irich wrote:I don't now how in Debian, but in Ubuntu-18.04 youtube-dl installs from other source through pip.
pip is in python-pip package and installing command is:

pip [-U] install youtube-dl
Peter.
Yes, one coud install it via pip in Debian too.
I tried to backport it from sid to Buster but ran into:

But there's a newer version in snap (if you don't mind snap), which may work OK.

# apt install snapd
I didn't use the one form Sid but Bullseye's and it worked. I figured Sid's wouldn't given is way ahead of Buster regarding base libraries and packages. If possible, I'd like to avoid using snap packages for as long as I can.

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#7 Post by sunrat »

Debian's youtube-dl breaks every time Youtube changes their API which is fairly regularly. I've found the best way to get around this is to download it from the Github page, put the script in ~/bin, and every time it breaks run:

youtube-dl -U
to update it.
The devs there are usually quite diligent at keeping it current and often are ahead of even the Sid version by days. The current version now is youtube-dl-2020.06.06.tar.gz from https://youtube-dl.org/
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

stevepusser

#8 Post by stevepusser »

kedaha wrote:I tried to backport it from sid to Buster but ran into:

# apt install snapd
For that package, just change it to debhelper-compat (= 12) in the debian/control file.

You can even drop it down to debhelper (>= 9.2) for backports way back to Jessie, as long as you add back the debian/compat file with "9" on its one line. I haven't backported any packages yet that actually required any new features with 13; 12 has worked just fine.

We've been backporting it every so often for MX Linux...I guess nobody wants to do it for the Debian backports, though it only takes a couple minutes. Let me do the latest version in my OBS multimedia repo.
MX Linux packager and developer

stevepusser

#9 Post by stevepusser »

Hmmm...there's a new build-depend, flake8, that's not in Jessie. IDK if it's worth the time to do a backport for that old of a release. And Stretch packages fail the self testing...Anyway, here's the Buster backports for 2020.05.08: https://build.opensuse.org/package/show ... youtube-dl

Moltke

#10 Post by Moltke »

stevepusser wrote:Hmmm...there's a new build-depend, flake8, that's not in Jessie. IDK if it's worth the time to do a backport for that old of a release. And Stretch packages fail the self testing...Anyway, here's the Buster backports for 2020.05.08: https://build.opensuse.org/package/show ... youtube-dl
Yesterday, while checking whether a bug had been reported on this or not I found this https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/youtube-dl which
A new upstream version is available: 2020.06.06
is this the same one you're linking to in opensuse.org?
Debian's youtube-dl breaks every time Youtube changes their API which is fairly regularly. I've found the best way to get around this is to download it from the Github page, put the script in ~/bin, and every time it breaks run:

youtube-dl -U
to update it.
The devs there are usually quite diligent at keeping it current and often are ahead of even the Sid version by days. The current version now is youtube-dl-2020.06.06.tar.gz from https://youtube-dl.org/
Thanks for that info and tip, really appreciated cause I think this saves time and frutration trying to figure out why does this happen in the first place and you just told us why. Will try you suggestion in the furture if and, given you're right, when current youtube-dl installed here breaks.

stevepusser

#11 Post by stevepusser »

For convenience's sake, I did the version is upstream Debian, which is still 20.05.08.

Usually I can use "uscan" to grab the latest release tarball, though. YT-DL releases about every two weeks or so.

Edit: I updated it to 20.06.06, and added testing and Sid builds, since they don't have it.

sickpig

#12 Post by sickpig »

Moltke wrote:If possible, I'd like to avoid using snap packages for as long as I can.
no need for snap nonsense where there is https://nixos.org/nixos/packages.html?a ... youtube-dl

shep

#13 Post by shep »

Underlying this issue is an ongoing struggle between youtube-dl and Google/youtube. Google/youtube has no interest in you not clicking on their site and periodically revises their site code to thwart youtube-dl. No matter what version of youtube-dl you use, it will likely be broken in the future.

The youtube-dl project, so far, has been able to work around any barriers that Google throws at them.

Since youtube-dl is python based, it is possible to install directly from the youtube-dl developers site. This includes a python script to update to the latest version.

https://ytdl-org.github.io/youtube-dl/download.html

Moltke

#14 Post by Moltke »

sickpig wrote:
Moltke wrote:If possible, I'd like to avoid using snap packages for as long as I can.
no need for snap nonsense where there is https://nixos.org/nixos/packages.html?a ... youtube-dl
Actually, I'd like to keep it simple; install packages using apt only. Although, I do like the whole Appimages concept, specially for a portable system, like in one with a persitent partition.
Since youtube-dl is python based, it is possible to install directly from the youtube-dl developers site. This includes a python script to update to the latest version.
You're right, however, that doesn't solve the root cause of the problem, but I get your point.

sickpig

#15 Post by sickpig »

Appimages
:) wait what why?
I never mentioned them.
packaging nix is way too easy than deb or rmp or other traditional formats for that matter.

Moltke

#16 Post by Moltke »

sickpig wrote:Appimages
:) wait what why?
I never mentioned them.
packaging nix is way too easy than deb or rmp or other traditional formats for that matter.
I know you didn't. I'm just speaking my mind :wink:. I like appimages and actually use a few ones. Never tried nix packaging, have read about it though but never really tried, maybe I do in some of my VMs just to see how it works.

rippa_the_hutt

#17 Post by rippa_the_hutt »

sunrat wrote:Debian's youtube-dl breaks every time Youtube changes their API which is fairly regularly. I've found the best way to get around this is to download it from the Github page, put the script in ~/bin, and every time it breaks run:

youtube-dl -U
to update it.
I feel this is the best solution, too, have been adopting it for a while without too much hassle.
Only modification, I usually put it in ~/.bin, adding such folder to $PATH to avoid tampering in system directories

stevepusser

#18 Post by stevepusser »

I haven't backported any packages yet that actually required any new features with 13; 12 has worked just fine.
Just ran into the nvidia-settings package backports that really require it. Since it passes the --as-needed flag to the linker automatically, upstream removed some patches and tweaks that let it work with debhelper 12. :( Debhelper-13.2 is a trivial backport to Buster, but needs a backport of perl for Stretch--not trivial at all.