Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Asus t100ta installation.

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
Grantzilla

Asus t100ta installation.

#1 Post by Grantzilla »

I know after finally getting Debian configured to my Lenovo R61i, I thought why not see if I can get it running on my Asus T100TA. I have gone in and disabled the secure boot, I am using a USB image with non-free firmware, put the USB to the first boot option, but it still boots into Windows 10. I don't know if I am missing something in the formatting of the USB stick or I need use a dongle and run the thumb drive into the mini usb port on the tablet itself instead of the docking keyboard.

Thanks in advance.

Head_on_a_Stick

Re: Asus t100ta installation.

#2 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Grantzilla wrote:I have gone in and disabled the secure boot
Debian buster supports Secure Boot.
Grantzilla wrote:I don't know if I am missing something in the formatting of the USB stick
Transferring the ISO image to the USB stick should over-write any pre-existing formatting so that is irrelevant.

How exactly did you transfer the image to the stick? You do know that unetbootin doesn't work, right? Check the official Debian buster release notes for the recommended methods.

Make sure that Windows is shut down rather than hibernating (hold down shift while clicking on "shut down" from the Start menu).
Grantzilla wrote:I need use a dongle and run the thumb drive into the mini usb port on the tablet itself instead of the docking keyboard
Why are you asking here when you could try that for yourself and find out?
deadbang

Grantzilla

#3 Post by Grantzilla »

Hey thanks for the Reply, I used balena etcher to create the image off my mac book air, or I used the image creator off LMDE4. I will try shutting down the computer and fallowing what you stated.

Thanks!

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Post by sunrat »

You need to say how you tried to select the USB drive to boot. Boot Select menu? UEFI boot order setting?
OP reads like you just put it in the computer and turned it on expecting it to magically boot. Nup.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

Grantzilla

#5 Post by Grantzilla »

I definitely didn't just plug the thumb drive and restart the computer and was shocked when it didn't work..... Please sunrat can you replay with out the standard message board condescension, I am sure you were not born with your vast knowledge.

fallowed the online guides, which directed me to the bios and deactivate the secure boot and then I restarted it the computer. I did find an option that told me to use the USB drive to correct the start up. When I did it booted windows 10.

Bloom
df -h | grep > 90TiB
df -h | grep > 90TiB

#6 Post by Bloom »

The usb-stick needs to be bootable and contain an operating system. An usb-stick with non-free firmware is neither.

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#7 Post by sunrat »

Grantzilla wrote:I definitely didn't just plug the thumb drive and restart the computer and was shocked when it didn't work..... Please sunrat can you replay with out the standard message board condescension, I am sure you were not born with your vast knowledge.

fallowed the online guides, which directed me to the bios and deactivate the secure boot and then I restarted it the computer. I did find an option that told me to use the USB drive to correct the start up. When I did it booted windows 10.
Condescension not intended. It's just impossible to work out where you went wrong with the information you provided. Exactly what online guides did you follow? There are some really bad ones. I don't think Balena Etcher is one of the Debian recommended methods to create your USB installer, but I've heard some good reports about it. I've only used Rufus in Windows which is fine but you must use dd mode.
Maybe you have created a viable bootable USB drive, or maybe not as Bloom suggested. If it is OK, try the Boot Select menu if it has one. Can you boot it in another computer?

Edit a little later:- OK I just found a Debian wiki page for installing on that model. Looks like you have a bit of work to do and it still won't function 100%. For starters it says you need a different installer, either 32-bit for a 32-bit system (recommend this as it should use a little less of the limited resources) or multiarch if you must have a 64-bit system. It implies the standard 64-bit installer is incompatible.
From - https://wiki.debian.org/InstallingDebianOn/Asus/T100TA
Things to know before installing Debian

The T100 is a mixed mode EFI system (i.e. a 64-bit CPU combined with a 32-bit EFI) already supported by the Debian Installer:

to install Debian 32-bit, use the Debian Installer for the i386 architecture;

to install Debian 64-bit, use the multiarch Debian Installer.
That wiki article is the first hit I got searching for "debian Asus T100TA". Your search-fu failed. Condescension intended (sorry). :mrgreen:
Those who have lost data
Remember to BACKUP!

Grantzilla

#8 Post by Grantzilla »

I tried both architectures, I also used the bootable imaged writer, both methods produced an image that was readable by my core duo Lenovo and yes I know isn't and EFI system. Maybe I will try Rufus and if that does't work I will try getting my hands on a dongle to use the mini usb port directly on the table. My l gut is telling me the the Table is just refusing to read the USB drive.

But I thank you for the reply's even the condescending ones LOL!!!

Grantzilla

#9 Post by Grantzilla »

Sunrat, Indeed search-fu has failed me. I tried this years ago with Ubuntu, it had me install a UEFI boot deal similar to grub. I thought I would never get the my t100ta usable again. I may try the 32bit version, but everything I have read the outcomes not great with this device.

I have used this exact image with my Lenovo R61i and it worked perfectly with the non free firmware on the USB stick, that computer runs great, though I am still trying to install the xfce whisker menu. I think I would be best to leave the T100 alone, it actually runs windows rather well.

Again thanks for all the info and laughs.

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#10 Post by sunrat »

I forgot to mention, specs say it has a micro SD card slot. You could try writing to micro SD and try booting from that.

Failure to boot also could be just tricky or temperamental. I have a ThinkPad Yoga 11e which was a PITA to get to boot the installer and run it but I somehow got Debian installed eventually. Pulled some of my hair out in frustration during the process!
Those who have lost data
Remember to BACKUP!