Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[SOLVED] Keyboard wrong inputs

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
Azimoph

[SOLVED] Keyboard wrong inputs

#1 Post by Azimoph »

I have a fresh install of Debian 10 on a Dell Inspiron 7537. The laptop keyboard is giving wrong inputs.
For example 'r' becomes 'u'. However I noticed if the numlock is on 'r' becomes '4'.
My current workaround is a usb keyboard which seems gives the correct inputs.

I have tried changing the keyboard configuration, selecting Dell Inspiron 6000/8000 and restarting the OS with no luck.

Code: Select all

# dpkg-reconfigure keyboard-configuration
# service keyboard-setup restart 
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Last edited by Azimoph on 2020-07-25 00:08, edited 1 time in total.

Deb-fan

Re: Keyboard wrong inputs

#2 Post by Deb-fan »

Don't quote me on this, as could be other things but had something similar happen on an Hp laptop, cause was a corrupted bios. Thing was still under warranty so sent it back and they had to fix it. Have you recently done a system firmware upgrade etc? Modern system the mobo's are supposed to be easy to flash such firmware on. Certainly improved over what it used to be, where people could brick their board.
Most powerful FREE tech-support tool on the planet * HERE. *

Azimoph

#3 Post by Azimoph »

Well this laptop is very old. Hopefully that's not the case but thanks for the insight.
I haven't updated the system firmware. Do you think that I should?
Last edited by Azimoph on 2020-07-24 20:38, edited 1 time in total.

Deb-fan

#4 Post by Deb-fan »

Hope not too but even if it were, Dell should have the bios/firmware download for it on their site, maybe. Also mobo come with a way to reset them in the Cmos backup on many mobo's. Can't be of much help regards this, as only ever messed with bios a couple times, one of which was that Hp upgrade. It came remotely from Hp and prompted me to apply it. Sure Hp, why not ... hit apply upgrade button and my keyboard started typing random crap! Thanks HP!

Deb-fan

#5 Post by Deb-fan »

Now that I've really bummed you out let's try some less dramatic stuff. Try making a USB with Mx gnu/Linux and test it in live session, see if it starts working right. If does install it to hard drive and check again to make sure. Might have to do with Debian proper missing proprietary software out-of-box.

(After-thought) Might as well skip the live session test and just try installing Mx, since keyboard works correctly from USB keyboard, should be same for a nix thumb drive too. Okay good luck.

Deb-fan

#6 Post by Deb-fan »

Didn't see your edit, been too busy jumping around myself. If the thing with Mx fails and honestly think it will cause it's probably low level corruption would then explore (resetting or flashing)bios options. Thing with installing Mx is that it can't hurt to try and easier than screwing with system firmware.

eriefisher

#7 Post by eriefisher »

It's unlikely but is it possible then the keyboard has the wrong language setting? Just throwing it out there.
Xfce4 4.14

Deb-fan

#8 Post by Deb-fan »

Yeah .. in what languages does the letter r-R translate into 4 in ?

Kidding around, I couldn't resist, I'll never get the chance to use that joke again! :)

Azimoph

#9 Post by Azimoph »

I'm getting MX thumbdrive set up now.
So in all honestly the computer was working fine for about 2 days with Debian. No keyboard issues at all. This morning I went to log in and my password wasn't working (no way it was wrong) so I said fk it and did a full re-install. That's when I noticed the key mapping was funky. So I'm more inclined to think the BIOS has been corrupted somehow.

I'll update with how MX works in a bit.

Azimoph

#10 Post by Azimoph »

Same keyboard issue in MX linux live session. :(

Deb-fan

#11 Post by Deb-fan »

Ah suks ... Was worth a shot. Then does look deeper down ... like bios-etc.

Azimoph

#12 Post by Azimoph »

Fixed it!
As per suggestion, I updated the BIOS using instructions found here:
https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us ... erid=vpt88

Thank you so much! I was about to give up on it. I'm just hoping this isn't a reoccurring issue.

Deb-fan

Re: [SOLVED] Keyboard wrong inputs

#13 Post by Deb-fan »

Woot ... dang you work fast! Am only glad things worked out. :)

Deb-fan

Re: [SOLVED] Keyboard wrong inputs

#14 Post by Deb-fan »

Had to take a refresher on this topic due to your thread. Long time since I've had any reason to care. Apparently there's a lil battery involved that can go bad, may need to be replaced. So if it keeps acting wonky, time/date start oddly creeping around you may need to look there but should be a cheap fix vs throwing a perfectly good system into the trash. Also has me looking at my old Dell lappy, thing isn't just old, it's ancient. Great, something else likely to boink out soon on the thing!