[SOLVED]Using Brother DCP-1610W printer

Getting your soundcard to work, using Debian on non-i386 hardware, etc

[SOLVED]Using Brother DCP-1610W printer

Postby geoffkaniuk » 2020-07-23 21:10

I need a new printer, and it looks like the Brother DCP-1610W is suitable for me (print, copy, scan, mono, USB). It claims installable under CUPS. I was checking to see if people had any problems with this. There seem a lot of posts in Linux Mint, but not here.

If anyone has experience with this printer, I would be delighted to hear it!

I have finally got this printer working :D . Here is a summary of the steps I followed.

Code: Select all
STEP 1. https://www.brother.co.uk/support/drivers
STEP 2. I know my device model - enter DCP-1610w
STEP 3. Select OS - Linux (deb)
STEP 4. Driver Install Tool - Agree to EULA and Download
STEP 5. Follow the online documentation:
      ~$ gunzip linux-brprinter-installer-2.2.2-1.gz
       # bash linux-brprinter-installer-2.2.2-1 DCP-1610W

The install tool worked - installing quite a few additional packages (I have a list if anyone is interested). My original error was in step 4 where I downloaded just the cupswrapper, then read that I needed lpr as well. The instructions for those required commands of the form:
 # dpkg  -i  --force-all  (lpr-drivername)

But man dpkg has no option "--force-all" that I could see, so I gave up at that point.

It now prints, copies, and scans under Gimp. This has worked in stretch, and I will soon be repeating in buster. Thanks to all corresponders and viewers!
Last edited by geoffkaniuk on 2020-08-01 11:01, edited 1 time in total.
Geoff
geoffkaniuk

Re: Using Brother DCP-1610W printer

Postby shep » 2020-07-26 00:39

Printer/Scanner combos can be problematic in Linux/BSD. These systems assign a driver, based on Vendor/Devices ID's, when a USB device is detected. The problem is that your device needs a printer driver and a scanner driver. HP wrote it's own driver, in the HPLIP, package that does both printer and scanner. The HPLIP package in the Debian repos.

For Brother Printer/Scanner combos, you have to download/install Brothers drivers - it is not in the Debian repos. If there are problems, the reality is that only Brother can help you debug.

In general, the safest way to go is a separate scanner. Just research the Sane database:

http://www.sane-project.org/sane-supported-devices.html

As far as Printers, the best support in descending order, is Postscript/Postscript-Emulation, PCL6/PCL5e, BRlaser/foo2zjs
My Brother HL-5450DN has BR-script which is a Postscript emulation. HP has their own Postscript emulation.
The PCL drivers are available in the Ghostscript package.
https://packages.debian.org/buster/ghostscript
BRlaser, older version is the Debian repos.
https://packages.debian.org/buster/printer-driver-brlaser.
foo2zjs is in the Debian repos:
http://foo2zjs.rkkda.com/
shep

Postby geoffkaniuk » 2020-07-26 16:37

Many thanks shep, for your useful comments. In the meantime I have discovered that the printer is out of stock everywhere. So back to the drawing board I guess.

My usage is fairly light: printing, some copying, and occasional scanning.

If anyone has any ideas of where else look, then please feel free to let me know.

EDIT 1
I found a seller. I checked the Brother site and it has drivers configured for Debian. I will report back on the outcome!

EDIT 2
I now have the printer connected to my machine (stretch). It was recognised in CUPS. I installed the drivers using:
 # dpkg -i dcp1610wcupswrapper-3.0.1-1.i386.deb

After rebooting, and failing to print, the CUPS Manage Printers page shows this status:
Queue Name   Make and Model                Status
Brother      Brother DCP-1610W for CUPS    Idle - "Sending data to printer."

I assume the drivers are correctly installed, as I have these files:
~$ /opt/brother/Printers/DCP1610W/cupswrapper$ ls -lF
total 40
   -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 20226 Sep 16  2014 brcupsconfig4*
   -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 10755 Sep 16  2014 brother-DCP1610W-cups-en.ppd
   -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root  5146 Sep 16  2014 brother_lpdwrapper_DCP1610W*

I have also been looking for obsolete packages. I get this result:
~$ aptitude search ?obsolete
i   dcp1610wcupswrapper:i386        - Brother DCP-1610W CUPS wrapper driver     

Very strange! Where have I gone wrong? Can this be resolved here, or do I need to consult Brother?

Any help here is much appreciated!
Geoff
geoffkaniuk

Postby shep » 2020-07-31 14:18

One thing to research is that the wrapper script is i386. If you are running an x86_64 system, you may need the i386 compatibility libraries.
Another possibility is that Brother might have an x86_64 build. It also would not hurt to contact Brother, they should be aware of issues with their code.
shep

Return to Hardware