Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[SOLVED] df -h and Disk Usage Analyzer different values

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
4joeyirosh1

[SOLVED] df -h and Disk Usage Analyzer different values

#1 Post by 4joeyirosh1 »

Hi!I have Debian Buster 10.4 installed on my machine.

Yesterday,when I checked my / mount point using df -h command it showed value of 14.2 GB used which tallied with the value of Disk Usage Analyzer.

I moved about 6.8 GB of data between partitions and now if I check the current value of df -h its showing / has risen by 6.8 GB while Disk Usage Analyzer shows the old value of 14.2 GB.This 6.8 GB of data was not moved to tha same disk partition where / resides (it was moved to /home on different partition)so I am wondering why / increased by 6.8 GB and why the difference between df -h and Disk Usage Analyzer.Please see discrepancy below between df -h and Disk Usage Analyzer

Code: Select all

# df -h
Filesystem                     Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
udev                           7.8G     0  7.8G   0% /dev
tmpfs                          1.6G  9.7M  1.6G   1% /run
/dev/sda1                       30G   21G  6.6G  77% /

I would like to clear the 6.8 GB contents on / so that it doesnt get full and revert it to its old 14.2 GB size.I cannot find the files that are in /home that could be in / so that I delete the same files in / mount point
Last edited by 4joeyirosh1 on 2020-07-26 11:15, edited 1 time in total.

LE_746F6D617A7A69

Re: df -h and Disk Usage Analyzer showing different values

#2 Post by LE_746F6D617A7A69 »

First of all, df -h shows the size in Gibibytes, while Disk Usage Analyser uses Gigabytes - use df -hH to get comparable units.

But, the difference is too big to be just an effect of using different units.

Have You moved or copied the data?
Was the /home partition mounted when You have checked the size? -> can You show a *full* output of df -hH ?
Bill Gates: "(...) In my case, I went to the garbage cans at the Computer Science Center and I fished out listings of their operating system."
The_full_story and Nothing_have_changed

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#3 Post by p.H »

LE_746F6D617A7A69 wrote:use df -hH
df -H is enough.

Possible causes for missing disk space include :
- filesystem inconsistency
- files deleted but still opened
- files hidden under a mount point
- files in a location the user does not have permission to read.

4joeyirosh1

#4 Post by 4joeyirosh1 »

p.H wrote:
LE_746F6D617A7A69 wrote:use df -hH
df -H is enough.

Possible causes for missing disk space include :
- filesystem inconsistency
- files deleted but still opened
- files hidden under a mount point
- files in a location the user does not have permission to read.
Ok,I noticed what I did pH.Not sure if anyone will understand my explanation but I have solved the issue with this approach.Recall you aided me in my prior post http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=146855 I created a home2 directory on sda2 and copied my files from home directory on sda6 since I couldnt have 2 home directories thus created a temporary home2 on /sda2 to copy contents.Once I formatted sda6 as linux-swap I decided to create now a home directory and copied contents of home2 to home not realizing when I did mkdir home to create the home folder it created it on /.Once I copied data to home,I edited fstab to have mountpoint /home on sda2 and when I start the machine,the /home seen is on sda2 yet there was still home folder with all the contents on home under / mountpoint.Its this home under / mountpoint that was creating the extra disk usage on /.

So what I did is that I edited fstab to ensure the /home under /sda2 isnt mounted at next boot hence revealing the home folder under / mountpoint and I proceeded to delete all contents of this home and restored fstab so that at next boot the correct /home under /sda2 and / without the redundant home folder were mounted and my / disk usage went back to 14.2 GB