Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

How to get history of system activity?

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
emil_21

How to get history of system activity?

#1 Post by emil_21 »

I want to be able to select period of time, for example, last 24 hours, and see which processes have connected to internet and the traffic their generated for that period, and also which processes have been more active and their load on the cpu. Is there a program or service with web gui that can do this? Terminal tool also will do, though i prefer something with gui. I am using debian 10 xfce.

sickpig

Re: How to get history of system activity?

#2 Post by sickpig »

systat for systemload analysis and tcpdump for network activity monitoring respectively.

for realtime monitoring of currently established connections

Code: Select all

ss -ntpu

emil_21

#3 Post by emil_21 »

I don't have systat tool on my system and it's not in debian repository. tcpdump is more for real time monitoring.

sickpig

#4 Post by sickpig »

Typo, it's sysstat
You can save tcpdump output to a file for later analyses

emil_21

#5 Post by emil_21 »

I installed sysstat but if i run `sudo sysstat` i get `sudo: sysstat: command not found`.

Anyway, i am looking for something more user friendly and with gui.

Head_on_a_Stick

#6 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

emil_21 wrote:I installed sysstat but if i run `sudo sysstat` i get `sudo: sysstat: command not found`
The sysstat package provides a collection of utilities for system monitoring: http://sebastien.godard.pagesperso-oran ... ation.html

I was not aware of that until about five minutes ago, are you familiar with search engines? They are very useful and tend to be quicker than pestering helpful people on forums...
deadbang

sickpig

#7 Post by sickpig »

emil_21 wrote:Anyway, i am looking for something more user friendly and with gui.
you can use wireshark(gui) to analyse tcpdump pcap files. There could be a gui front-end for individual tools in sysstat but I am not aware. https://www.maketecheasier.com/monitor- ... h-sysstat/ to get you started with sysstat.

Deb-fan

#8 Post by Deb-fan »

I was not aware of that until about five minutes ago, are you familiar with search engines? They are very useful and tend to be quicker than pestering helpful people on forums...
+ 1 BILLION Head_on, :) though if people did more searches and RTFM'ing be very lil reason to even have (or need of)a help section. Can set up a crontab or systemd unit to run scripts, cmds etc and collect logging to whatever extent, involving whatever activities a user could ever imagine(any schedule desired.) Don't doubt that there's no shortage of in depth examples already easily found online. No insult towards OP, just simple statement of fact and clearly one reason geeks who do spend the time/effort learning and doing their own dirty work get a reputation as being big time cyber aholes.

Lil frustrating being asked to reinvent the wheel or explain what a wheel is to folks endlessly over n over n over. :) Off the top don't know which graphical monitoring utility may best suit your needs/preferences. Whenever i have any interest in what you're outlining here, explore the type of things already outlined above in the thread.
Most powerful FREE tech-support tool on the planet * HERE. *

dilberts_left_nut
Administrator
Administrator

#9 Post by dilberts_left_nut »

I'd use munin and customise some existing plugins to collect what data you want.
AdrianTM wrote:There's no hacker in my grandma...