Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Kernel panic when installing on old, 32-bit i386 system

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
Frostsnow

Re: Kernel panic when installing on old, 32-bit i386 system

#21 Post by Frostsnow »

Deb-fan wrote:Funny, so gotta do it. Isn't it amazing how often a scene from a movie can express exactly how you feel in many situations?
I find that people's reactions to events are actually conditioned by movies.
Deb-fan wrote:Op ... Basically saying there are far too many easy and straight forward ways to get and provide detailed hardware information in nix. Use them and do so. I don't know what i386 is/means, so heck better include it in the title of my help thread just in case it's pertinent or?
And they all have slightly different nomenclature to describe the various architectures. Anyways, Debian calls 32-bit x86 'i386', so I went with that.

I tried installing Debian Jessie and that did work, hurrah! I've returned the computer back to the neighbor, warning him of the caveats that the computer is just too old and shouldn't be used on the Internet. Thanks all for the help.

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#22 Post by p.H »

Frostsnow wrote:From the net installer, there's a "Help" option which leads to a page which mentions that these parameters may be useful to prevent random crashes.
Not 'noapci nolapci'. You mistyped them. Did you mistype them only in the forum or in the installer command line ?

Deb-fan

#23 Post by Deb-fan »

That system while spec poor could still be made to run perfectly fine. Just not so much by the OP. Wasnt anything like willing to dump all the time/effort trying to explain what's involved. Testing a target system with live session has been good practice since there's been such a thing as computer systems and live sessions. A person also gets access to all the cmds and software included on such a live media too.

Was a wee bit of a jerk in this thread but could've said much worse. Op installed an end-of-life gnu/nix Os onto some poor neighbors hardware, handed it back and basically told them it'll be a good paper weight ? Go get that pc back and make/show some meaningful effort to do it right!!!! Now OP ... go do that now! :)

Ps, google stuff like "install linux on old computers." Etc etc etc.
Most powerful FREE tech-support tool on the planet * HERE. *

Frostsnow

#24 Post by Frostsnow »

p.H wrote: Not 'noapci nolapci'. You mistyped them. Did you mistype them only in the forum or in the installer command line ?
Most likely only on the forum.
Deb-fan wrote:That sysyem while spec poor could still be made to run perfectly fine. Just not so much by the OP. Wasnt anything like willing to dump all the time/effort trying to explain what's involved. Testing a target system with live session has been good practice since there's been such a thing as computer systems and live sessions. A person also gets access to all the cmds and software included on such a live media too.

Was a wee bit of a jerk in this thread but could've said much worse. Op installed an end-of-life gnu/nix Os onto some poor neighbors hardware, handed it back and basically told them it'll be a good paper weight ? Go get that pc back and make/show some meaningful effort to do it right!!!! Now OP ... go do that now! :)

Ps, google stuff like "install linux on old computers." Etc etc etc.
Thanks fam, but I've got plenty of other programming work to do :). The task was supposed to take 30 minutes and ended being numerous hours over multiple days.