Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

I have a Debian install mess

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
3hre

I have a Debian install mess

#1 Post by 3hre »

I imagine it is not as bad as I think it is. I have successfully jnstalled Debian before without issue ut this time something went awry. I have some version installed as it says, "Programs included with the Debian GNU Linux system are free software blah blah and then says myusername@debian:~$sudo
-bash:sudo:command not found

And I am at a loss.

Deb-fan

Re: I have a Debian install mess

#2 Post by Deb-fan »

^ LMFAO! You're absolutely right, you are! :D
Most powerful FREE tech-support tool on the planet * HERE. *

cuckooflew

#3 Post by cuckooflew »

Why is this a mess ? or a problem ?

You can use "su-", assuming you did set a root password when you installed,... You have the command prompt, you could use that to at least see what version you have :
I have some version installed as it says,
Gee whiz, do you know how many versions of Debian there are ? What version ? some versions do not include "sudo" , you must install it. Others, like the "netinstall", give you a base system, and the command prompt is expected, that is what you get .. use it to install a window manager , or DE, etc,.. what ever you want.
example, on this version of Debian, all I have is the prompt, and thats no problem, i can run most any command,
Have you tried any other command besides sudo,?
And I am at a loss.
So am I , I would like to help, but have no idea what it is you want to do, Do you want to install sudo ?

Code: Select all

$su -
password: 
# apt install sudo
I have successfully jnstalled Debian before without issue ut this time something went awry. I
Really ? Sometimes that happens, maybe try installing again, it might go better this time,..
Even though you have installed Debian before, you would learn more if you read some of the wonderful install documentation, any way, guess that is about all I can do for now, have a good evening, or day,... ahh, You can try typing "help" at the $ prompt, see what that says, 'lsb_release -a' to get the version, or 'uname -a ',...
If I knew what you wanted to do next, I could maybe tell you what command to use, you can also learn about what commands are available using a search engine, eg:
keyw words, "what are the Linux commands", or "what is the linux command to (do this or that)" Where it says "this or that" is what ever you wish to do, eg: what is the linux command to compile a program ,: https://www.startpage.com/do/dsearch?qu ... sion=1.3.0
( actually there are several )...this is just a example.
Last edited by cuckooflew on 2020-07-31 06:44, edited 3 times in total.
Please Read What we expect you have already Done
Search Engines know a lot, and
"If God had wanted computers to work all the time, He wouldn't have invented RESET buttons"
and
Just say NO to help vampires!

Deb-fan

#4 Post by Deb-fan »

Self deleted(edit), oops language barrier. Saw that pitiful excuse for an o-post and jumped right into flaming all hell out of OP mode. Easy to forget how poorly documented gnu/nix might be for non-english speakers online. Plenty of docs in my language and still find myself confused often enough. Sorry OP, hopefully Cuckoo's help fixed your problem. :)
Most powerful FREE tech-support tool on the planet * HERE. *

3hre

#5 Post by 3hre »

This is what I have going right now and it is as far as I have got and since I do not know what to do next I am just not doing anything besides communicating this stuff here. My goal in a perfect world would be to get rid of this Debian here because as it appears to me it is serving the function of an OS rather than a distro. I am not sure how that happened but stress and sleep problem staying up all night reading and reading again does bad things.

What I want to accomplish is getting rid of Debian in the capacity it appears to be occupying, to install Ubuntu as an OS and *then* have Debian as a distro

Corrections, ideas, list of what to do, potions?

golinux

#6 Post by golinux »

Say what??? :shock:
May the FORK be with you!

cuckooflew

#7 Post by cuckooflew »

,---- to install Ubuntu as an OS and *then* have Debian as a distro
Ok, now I understand, then

Code: Select all

$ go to https://ubuntu.com/download
then , download it. :  "Download Ubuntu desktop and replace your current operating system whether it’s Windows,Debian or macOS or run Ubuntu alongside it."
<make : A decision>>
Do you want to upgrade? Follow our simple guide , IF NO,
GOTO Ubuntu Forums = https://ubuntuforums.org/; THEN ask them how to install Ubuntu, or ask : https://askubuntu.com/?_ga=2.56391915.1372809948.1596240858-471646235.1589780396
Debian, is the distro that Ubuntu is based on, so you will have the Debian base,and Ubuntu as the distro. BUT IF you want Debian as your Linux distro, GO BACK and create a new partition to install Debian, install grub, and when you boot, the grub menu will offer 2 choices, one for Debian, another for Ubuntu. Or you can install Debian on a VM, hosted by Ubuntu, or vice verse.
Note: If you install Ubuntu it will over write the Debian installation,
What I want to accomplish is getting rid of Debian in the capacity it appears to be occupying,
Debian will no longer be occupying the partition, ...
No need to stay up all night reading, and reading :
staying up all night reading and reading again does bad things.
... and believe me, drugs do much more bad things, any way , you can read a little this evening, go to bed early, wake up early, read a little more while you eat breakfast, go out for a walk, or to school, work, what ever. THEN, in the evening read a little more, but not all night,.. a little bit at a time , life is eternal, and there is no hurry.
"If God had wanted computers to work all the time, He wouldn't have invented RESET buttons"
and

3hre

#8 Post by 3hre »

Thank you. I am downloading fresh isos just because it makes me feel better one way or another so it will be awhile but worthwhile.

And for the insightful words. They too were appreciated.

"and believe me, drugs do much more bad things, any way , you can read a little this evening, go to bed early, wake up early, read a little more while you eat breakfast, go out for a walk, or to school, work, what ever. THEN, in the evening read a little more, but not all night,.. a little bit at a time , life is eternal, and there is no hurry.

golinux

#9 Post by golinux »

cuckooflew wrote:
,---- to install Ubuntu as an OS and *then* have Debian as a distro
Ok, now I understand . . .
I still don't. Both Ubuntu and Debian are OS (operating systems). They are also both distributions, one being the source (Debian) on which the other (Ubuntu) is based.
May the FORK be with you!

cuckooflew

#10 Post by cuckooflew »

Well, this is my logic : Debian, as a OS is fine, and yes it is a Linux distro, but it does not include a lot of the things that Ubuntu has added, using Debian as the base, it is usually the choice made by people that for what ever reasons can not build on the base (Debian), and make it more like what they want , eg: Ubuntu, so it seems logical to me to recommend using Ubuntu , instead of Debian, IF Ubuntu is what the person wants. EG:
What I want to accomplish is getting rid of Debian in the capacity it appears to be occupying, to install Ubuntu ----snip---
Now going back to the original post:
I have some version installed as it says, "Programs included with the Debian GNU Linux system are free software blah blah and then says myusername@debian:~$sudo ---- snip---
So for some reason, what the OP installed, is a OS, Debian, and it is usable, as a OS, if the user know how, or is willing to learn how to use the CLI, this would involve reading a lot of documentation,or asking a lot of questions here, including to figure out what Debian ISO / version would be best, and give them a working "distro", with DE and all the firmware, etc,...but the OP does not want to do the reading, etc,...
I am not sure how that happened but stress and sleep problem staying up all night reading and reading again does bad things.
I suppose because some where they got the idea that one most stay up all night, reading and reading again, which yes, if one get's stressed and reading , reading again causes a sleep problem, well any way, that is kind of another topic,..but after all said and done, my conclusion is that they would be better of installing Ubuntu and asking them at the Ubuntu forum, if they have problems.
and