Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Intel vulnerabilities discovered

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
Head_on_a_Stick

Re: Intel vulnerabilities discovered

#21 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Mr. Lumbergh wrote:It'll be a while though before apps are ported to ARM
Most of the software in the Debian repositories already works with their arm64 architecture.

Anyway, this is drifting off-topic so please open a new thread to discuss ARM further. Thanks.
deadbang

Mr. Lumbergh

#22 Post by Mr. Lumbergh »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
Mr. Lumbergh wrote:It'll be a while though before apps are ported to ARM
Most of the software in the Debian repositories already works with their arm64 architecture.

Anyway, this is drifting off-topic so please open a new thread to discuss ARM further. Thanks.
I was talking about commercial software specifically, but yeah, we are getting a little off topic so no worries.

Deb-fan

#23 Post by Deb-fan »

Believe the whole AMD must have them too thing is a psychological ploy, almost surely started and greatly promoted by Intel to draw heat off them and boister their position in tech, at least curve some of the impact stuff like Spectre/Meltdown and the parade of other vulnerabilities like in this thread ... are having on them. They then funded an "unbiased" $tudy that did find some apparently trivial hardware level exploits possible on AMD, nothing like the one's known on their chips though.

To me painfully obviously goes/went as follows,

Kid A (Intel)gets caught stealing money from Mom's purse(to buy crack cocaine), they get busted. Kid A then turns around and screams YEAH but Mom/Dad ... Kid B(their lil brother/sister - AMD) once shop lifted a candy bar, I SAW EM DO IT !!! :D

Sadly we cannot discount the power of stupidity and how much confusion can be incited in people though use of such transparent nonsense and crap folks can be manipulated into thinking or accepting, reciting etc. AMD's chips are extremely vulnerable !?!??! Nothing remotely solid to prove or support that but still, it could be possible, thus must be true to whatever extent ? The monster under bed trick. None of us can ever prove there wasn't something lurking under our beds, can we? :)

Mentioned before I don't believe these exploits are a mistake, fully believe it was done by design. As per above, I'll never be able to prove it but there is a fairly massive amount of supporting evidence to make that case. Though it requires looking at things with high enough levels of skill in terms of abstract and critical thinking abilities. Think Intel is guilty, nobody will ever be able to prove it and no doubt some of the involved/concerned parties have absolutely no intention of ever really investigating, because they were involved too.

Like asking a dirty cop to solve the crimes they're doing and arrest themselves. Errrrr, kinda unlikely eh ? :D
Most powerful FREE tech-support tool on the planet * HERE. *

Mr. Lumbergh

#24 Post by Mr. Lumbergh »

Deb-fan wrote:Believe the whole AMD must have them too thing is a psychological ploy
I'm a bit of an AMD fanboi... This box has a Ryzen 3800X and RX580 graphics. They're not perfect though, so it stands to reason there's something there. Hackers are pretty relentless and they'll find something.
Does Intel cut some corners right now because they're feeling the heat and they have the arrogant mindset?
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's the case too.

pylkko

#25 Post by pylkko »

Last week in the new was 1) Intel shares dropping when the announced that they will (again) have to post-pone the next 7 nm future procesoirs and 2) Intel letting many high level managemetn people go. So I guess they are feeling the heat alright...

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/07/24/inve ... index.html
https://newsroom.intel.com/news-release ... #gs.c33i2p

Mr. Lumbergh

#26 Post by Mr. Lumbergh »

pylkko wrote:Last week in the new was 1) Intel shares dropping when the announced that they will (again) have to post-pone the next 7 nm future procesoirs and 2) Intel letting many high level managemetn people go. So I guess they are feeling the heat alright...

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/07/24/inve ... index.html
https://newsroom.intel.com/news-release ... #gs.c33i2p
That's a bummer. I don't like seeing anyone lose their jobs, and healthy competition is better for them and AMD both. I'm sure Apple's upcoming transition to ARM isn't helping matters either.

pylkko

#27 Post by pylkko »

Mr. Lumbergh wrote: That's a bummer. I don't like seeing anyone lose their jobs, and healthy competition is better for them and AMD both. I'm sure Apple's upcoming transition to ARM isn't helping matters either.
Well, technically they wont loose their jobs, they will just start working somewhere else (maybe AMD or nvidia or similar). People like that are very wanted. This is how capitalism works, the share holders are disappointed and want to change the leadership, so it happens.

Mr. Lumbergh

#28 Post by Mr. Lumbergh »

pylkko wrote:
Well, technically they wont loose their jobs, they will just start working somewhere else (maybe AMD or nvidia or similar). People like that are very wanted. This is how capitalism works, the share holders are disappointed and want to change the leadership, so it happens.
I dunno, that's exactly what "losing their jobs" sounds like to me and they have to find new ones. Given the state of things right now, that's a bit sketchy and not all of them will be able to do it.

pylkko

#29 Post by pylkko »

If you read the link, they announce five leader changes. Of these three are going to work in other positions at Intel, one (Mike Mayberry) will act as a consultant until the end of the year when he retires and only one will leave Intel (Murthy Renduchintala). If you search his name on Google in a month, I bet 100 USD you will see that he moved on to some other good job. Even if not, his salary was 26 million USD last year. He could easily live off of that for the rest of his life, even supporting a large family for the rests of their lives...

Deb-fan

#30 Post by Deb-fan »

We are hopelessly derailing the Hoasinators thread fellas. He could be working on a death ray as we speak. :P
Most powerful FREE tech-support tool on the planet * HERE. *