Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Secure playground...

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
DanneA

Secure playground...

#1 Post by DanneA »

I wounder if there is any way to make a secure place in Debian10 to try different program without messing up my installation.
I have read about FakeRoot and wounder if that could work. Usually I have to be root to install and when some thing go wrong I end upp in a mess. Thats more then one time! Start to be a professionell installer.

Deb-fan

Re: Secure playground...

#2 Post by Deb-fan »

^ Woahhhhh, like i know right? If only there were stuff like virtual machines, could be amazing! Being a dork couldn't help the sarcasm n snark. :P
Most powerful FREE tech-support tool on the planet * HERE. *

Head_on_a_Stick

#3 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

deadbang

DanneA

#4 Post by DanneA »

Deb-fan wrote:^ Woahhhhh, like i know right? If only there were stuff like virtual machines, could be amazing! Being a dork couldn't help the sarcasm n snark. :P
That's allwright! I have to ask and do not feel more stupid then I am...

DanneA

#5 Post by DanneA »

Hmmm...

Thank you "Head_on_a_Stick"!
More to read and try to learn. My life is geting complicated but exciting!

Deb-fan

#6 Post by Deb-fan »

Good wasnt meant overly insultingly. Think the stuff mentioned here covers it. Much to learn about both too. Then there's these snaps, flatpaks, appimage things as well. Only bothered vaguely learning about them. Much prefer the way gnu/linux already handles software = repository packages. Still could see them having a place for somebody that wants to play with software without mixing stuff into their operating system. Enjoy. :)

DanneA

#7 Post by DanneA »

Deb-fan wrote:Good wasnt meant overly insultingly. Think the stuff mentioned here covers it. Much to learn about both too. Then there's these snaps, flatpaks, appimage things as well. Only bothered vaguely learning about them. Much prefer the way gnu/linux already handles software = repository packages. Still could see them having a place for somebody that wants to play with software without mixing stuff into their operating system. Enjoy. :)
I am not easy to insult and did not take it that way. I am "mr green" and have hundreds of stupid questions to ask, but one at a time. If not ask I will never learn or know. Have a nice time reading...

Deb-fan

#8 Post by Deb-fan »

^ LMAO! Well said sir, well said! :D

sickpig

#9 Post by sickpig »

DanneA wrote:Usually I have to be root to install and when some thing go wrong I end upp in a mess.
You can try a separate package manager like https://nixos.org/download.html. It installs packages in isolation without mutating your system or requiring elevated permissions to install. Or try containers like Docker.

kedaha

#10 Post by kedaha »

How about firejail, a security sandbox program? And there's a frontend called Firetools. Both are available from the Debian main repository.
DebianStable

Code: Select all

$ vrms

No non-free or contrib packages installed on debian!  rms would be proud.