Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

grub_calloc issue

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
freespirit

grub_calloc issue

#1 Post by freespirit »

Hi, i'm suffering this issue
https://askubuntu.com/questions/1263125 ... -not-found
i'm not a technical guy, but i've tryed to boot a live cd and perform a boot-repair but doesn't work, fortunatly i have a system image, and i restore it, do you think this issue will be solved? How can i track it, because i will not do system update till that day
There is any noob friendly solution i can do it?

edit: running debian stable

shep

Re: grub_calloc issue

#2 Post by shep »

This update also broke my Debian10/OpenBSD uefi dual boot setup. There seems to be a number of issues with the update and I would like to roll it back. Unfortunately, I'm not having much luck with searches on how to roll back.

May look into grub 2.04 in backports.

Edit: Debian 10 backports does not have a grub update.

Head_on_a_Stick

#3 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

deadbang

freespirit

#4 Post by freespirit »

I got this error

grub-install: warning: File system `ext2' doesn't support embedding.
grub-install: warning: Embedding is not possible. GRUB can only be installed in this setup by using blocklists. However, blocklists are UNRELIABLE and their use is discouraged..
grub-install: error: will not proceed with blocklists.

Head_on_a_Stick

#5 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Install to the device, not the partition.
deadbang

freespirit

#6 Post by freespirit »

Thank you very much it worked
I have other 2 debian system i need to fix but they are in a different state

the first one is rolled back so it's running with an older version, there is a way to fix it before fail into the issue and have to fix it with a live cd?

the second one is a small headless server that already updated with the latest grub, but still running because i did not rebooted, any way to fix this too before the reboot?

Thank you again for the help it's the whole day i'm trying to solve this

freespirit

#7 Post by freespirit »

My main system where i was thinkibg to disabled the auto updated, it updated, so i have done the live fix bit when reboot it goes in a normal grub bash. What can i do?

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#8 Post by p.H »

"symbol not found" may be caused by a version mismatch between GRUB core image and GRUB modules installed in /boot/grub/.
It may happen when GRUB modules were updated but the GRUB core image which is loaded at boot was not updated, either because the update process failed or it updated the core image in a different location.

The report generated by bootinfoscript (from the package boot-info-script) may help finding where GRUB is installed.

Code: Select all

debconf-show grub-pc | grep install
shows where the boot and core image are to be installed on GRUB package update. If the location is wrong, you should reconfigure the package with

Code: Select all

dpkg-reconfigure grub-pc

freespirit

#9 Post by freespirit »

On one pc the solution providwd by head on a stick worked like a charm, now on my main workstation doesnt work, instead to have the calloc issue i just boot in a grub shell.
My main pc is encrypted with luks, but the boot partition is not i dont know if this matter, i hope you can help me because i'm stuck

freespirit

#10 Post by freespirit »

Now on my workstation seem boot repair fixed it. I hope debian devs will fix this issue because it's really a severe bug, and manage it in a headless server it's even worse

shep

#11 Post by shep »

July 31, 2020 there was a second grub 2.02 update, 2.02+dfsg1-20+deb10u2, that fixed my dual boot issue.

freespirit

#12 Post by freespirit »

shep wrote:July 31, 2020 there was a second grub 2.02 update, 2.02+dfsg1-20+deb10u2, that fixed my dual boot issue.
I just updated another machine and the latest grub didn't fixed this issue, i had to fix it with boot repair

pretty scared now to reboot my server, i don't know if for debian devs this is an issue they are working on, or not. Any way to know it?

Head_on_a_Stick

#13 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

deadbang

cuckooflew

#14 Post by cuckooflew »

i don't know if for debian devs this is an issue they are working on, or not. Any way to know it?
Yes there are several ways to stay informed about which bugs the developers are working on, Check recent bug reports, Ask on the mail list, some developers do use that. Some search foo, or just browse the Debian.org website, you will see links to the mail lists, also , where developers discuss bugs, etc. There are several threads on this forum where me or someone else posted detailed instructions and links to the bug report process, etc.
https://wiki.debian.org/FAQsFromDebianUser
--partial quote-- Why should I post to this list? I want to ask the developer/post to debian-devel/file a bug.

Of course, you are free to do this. Almost all debian lists (including debian-devel) are open for anyone to post and Debian encourages users to file bugs in the Debian Bug Tracking System (BTS). BUT, please consider the following points first:

Make 100% sure your problem needs direct attention of developers.

Remember, Debian is created by volunteers in their spare time. Distracting them with other problems will leave less time to do actual work, like solving known bugs, package new versions of software we are all waiting for, packaging software not yet present in Debian and improving or creating Debian specific software. Even if you know you have a really difficult problem, debian-user is read by some very knowledgeable people (including some Debian developers), and they might have a solution for your problem.

Some problems are caused just by misconfiguration.

Sometimes even the most experienced people can do stupid things. Having other people look over your problem may help.

Make sure your problem is not known.

That means you should search the archives of debian-user (or other relevant lists) and especially the BTS. Chances are somebody else has experienced the same (or similar) problem and workarounds may be known. Even if you searched thoroughly, you should post to debian-user first (stating what you already tried/researched).
H_O_A_S posted a link while I am writing, be sure to read that, before doing anything else.
Please Read What we expect you have already Done
Search Engines know a lot, and
"If God had wanted computers to work all the time, He wouldn't have invented RESET buttons"
and
Just say NO to help vampires!

quixote

#15 Post by quixote »

This is not an RTFM situation. A massive bug has been introduced trying to fix a vulnerability, and what we need right now is a fix.

Something along these lines: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/SecurityTeam/Kn ... r_recovery

or possibly these: https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2020/07 ... e-patches/

but for debian. Somehow, I'm betting I can't just copy and paste :P

I saw the warnings go by saying the system was likely to be unbootable, so I haven't rebooted and I'm luckier than some in that I'm not dead in the water. But it would be nice not to have to live in fear of a system crash.

I realize any fix means the grub vulnerability is still there. I can live with that for now. I can't live without access to my computer since I have some legal issues going on and the world will end if I can't access relevant files.

Fix? Pleeeeeeeeeeease?

Edit: I know there's a fix here: https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugrepo ... bug=966554 however it's not straightforward for those of us who need step-by-steps. Judging from that thread, at some point a fix is due to appear in our regular updates, but it's not there yet. Until it is, a step-by-step from the smart ones here that tells us how to apply it would really help!
Last edited by quixote on 2020-08-02 01:52, edited 1 time in total.

cuckooflew

#16 Post by cuckooflew »

by quixote » 2020-08-02 01:27
This is not an RTFM situation.
Maybe not but it is a "read the links posted" situation, and
Apparently you do not even read the material in the links you post. The first link is Ubuntu, and really has nothing to do with Debian, the second link, all though it is mostly about : RHEL and CentOS How ever there is a mention of a fix for Debian:
For Debian users, the
DEBIAN FIX is available in newly committed package grub2 (2.02+dfsg1-20+deb10u2).
by quixote »Fix? Pleeeeeeeeeeease?
As if asking Debian users to fix it would get it fixed, if you had read the pages you posted links to you would have known that it was fixed. So Please, do read the links you posted, or just the link to the Debian bug report. And thank you for sharing the links.
Last edited by cuckooflew on 2020-08-02 02:03, edited 1 time in total.
"If God had wanted computers to work all the time, He wouldn't have invented RESET buttons"
and

cuckooflew

#17 Post by cuckooflew »

For those that do not want to read the entire, long discussion:
https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugrepo ... =966554#70
Hello,

Bug #966554 in grub2 reported by you has been fixed in the
Git repository and is awaiting an upload. You can see the commit
message below and you can check the diff of the fix at:https://salsa.debian.org/grub-team/grub/-/commit/36a0504012cf4bcc8575550e4eb2fc63ea895416Fix a regression caused by "efi: fix some malformed device path arithmetic errors"

Thanks, Chris Coulson and Steve McIntyre.
and

cuckooflew

#18 Post by cuckooflew »

by quixote »
Edit: I know there's a fix here: https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugrepo ... bug=966554 however it's not straightforward for those of us who need step-by-steps. Judging from that thread, at some point a fix is due to appear in our regular updates, but it's not there yet. Until it is, a step-by-step from the smart ones here that tells us how to apply it would really help!
Well again, if you read it more carefully, https://salsa.debian.org/grub-team/grub ... 63ea895416
authored 2 days ago by
The simple straight forward fix, is to just run a upadte/upgrade, like I did today, the fix is included in the up grade.

Postby shep » 2020-07-31 14:12
July 31, 2020 there was a second grub 2.02 update, 2.02+dfsg1-20+deb10u2, that fixed my dual boot issue.
I upgraded today, and it is fixed.https://security-tracker.debian.org/tra ... 2020-10713
grub2 (PTS) stretch 2.02~beta3-5+deb9u2 vulnerable
buster, buster (security) 2.02+dfsg1-20+deb10u2 fixed
Well I guess, partial , if you are using Debian stretch, no, it is not fixed
Further detailed information can be found at https://www.debian.org/security/2020-GR ... SecureBoot

For the stable distribution (buster), these problems have been fixed in version 2.02+dfsg1-20+deb10u1.

We recommend that you upgrade your grub2 packages.
For the stable distribution (buster), these problems have been fixed in version 2.02+dfsg1-20+deb10u1.

We recommend that you upgrade your grub2 packages.
and

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#19 Post by p.H »

quixote wrote:A massive bug has been introduced trying to fix a vulnerability, and what we need right now is a fix.
What bug are you talking about ?

The UEFI multiboot chainloading bug has been fixed in the latest grub2 packages for buster.
Stretch does not support secure boot and is not affected.

The issue discussed in this thread is completely different and is not a GRUB bug, it is caused by a setup error. Please read carefully my first post and Colin Watson's quote at the link posted by Head_on_a_Stick's.

quixote

#20 Post by quixote »

cuckooflew, the part you don't seem to understand is I did read it. Carefully. I do not, however, have the background to understand it properly.

Since we're here on a user forum, perhaps share your understanding instead of your -- how should I say this politely -- amazement at my ignorance. And, possibly, if you had read my comment, you would have noticed that I bring up the ubuntu and redhat links as *examples* of the sort of step-by-step workarounds that would be welcome. Complete with attempt at humor about not using those instructions on debian.

This all reminds me a bit of the old debian forums in the late 1990s.

Re what bug am I talking about: the malfunction, whatever you want to call it, that makes a system unbootable. To me, that is a big malfunction / bug / problem / unpleasantness.

So, if there is anyone here who can answer the question, what steps should I go through to make sure grub is bootable? I'd like to be very sure I don't make anything worse. I'm not in a situation where I can afford any downtime.

I should add that I am using Debian 10, Buster.