Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

qpdf: issues with error at * in numeric range *output.pdf:

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
say_hello

qpdf: issues with error at * in numeric range *output.pdf:

#1 Post by say_hello »

hallo dear Debian-experts good day,

currently i struggle with some command-line-errors.

yes - it looks like i have very interesting issues where i struggle with... - could it be that the linux notebook does not have some ordinary text encoding (utf8 or something similar). Note i am not able to copy and paste the data into commandline.

i will start with the first line and will type each of the four lines and will run each of the four commmand..

note: i guess that i have issues with the characters...

you wrote to run the following commands:

Code: Select all

qpdf 98_225.pdf --pages 98_225.pdf 1-z:odd -- even.pdf
qpdf 98_225.pdf --pages 98_225.pdf 1-z:even -- odd.pdf
Edit. Ah, now I see, they weren't created because of an error. Try to replace the file name with a single dot:

qpdf 98_225.pdf --pages . 1-z:odd -- even.pdf
qpdf 98_225.pdf --pages . 1-z:even -- odd.pdf
Looks like there is an extra character somewhere. Retype the commands into the terminal rather than copy-pasting them.[/QUOTE]
see what i have got back if i try to (okay copy and paste ) the commands:

martin@mx:~/Dokumente/kalender/ueberschaar__fixes_urlaub
$ qpdf 98_225.pdf --pages . 1-z:even -- odd.pdf

qpdf: error at * in numeric range 1-z*:even: unexpected character

Usage: qpdf [options] infile outfile
For detailed help, run qpdf --help

$ 
$ qpdf 98_225.pdf --pages 98_225.pdf 1-z:odd -- even.pdf

qpdf: error at * in numeric range 1-z*:odd: unexpected character

Usage: qpdf [options] infile outfile
For detailed help, run qpdf --help
now i finally encountered that there something is totally wrong with my system: i cannot copy and paste commands - this does not work here. so i finally do one thing: i will type all the commands character by character...

question: should i type each of the four lines - i guess so. i guess that i need all the four lines.

i will come back later and will report all the findings.

update 1 well i guess that my notebook does have some issues with the utf8 encoding - is it possible that the character-set does not work propperly!? Very very strange things are going on here... . I will work on and will try to find out what goes wrong here.... i will come back and report all the findings...

update 2: - regarding the complaints of the shell (i am on a mx-linux-machine [https://mxlinux.org ])i found interesting news on github/qpdf see below:

here is what i ve got:

$ qpdf 98_225.pdf --pages 98_225.pdf 1-z:odd -- even.pdf
qpdf: error at * in numeric range 1-z*:odd: unexpected character

see here - very interesting - https://github.com/qpdf/qpdf/issues/11

Windows/PowerShell users also need to put quotes around the -- argument.

For example, running this:

qpdf --empty --pages input.pdf -- output.pdf
Results in this error:

qpdf: error at * in numeric range *output.pdf: unexpected character
The correct syntax for PowerShell is this:

qpdf --empty --pages input.pdf '--' output.pdf

well - exactly the same issue as i have: but i am not on windows and i do not use powershell

well i need to digg deeper - guess that i run into very strange issues here ..

regards

say_hello

Re: qpdf: issues with error at * in numeric range *output.pd

#3 Post by say_hello »

hi there

- sure thing - some things in the world are relying on the system that one entity is relying on. But others don t.
i guess that a command-line-issue like this is pretty common - and therefore i guess that here some ideas, suggestions and tips could come up..

but anyway: if you think that all those assumptions are useless then i take this experience as a lession.... and stop asking such general questions here...

regards

cuckooflew

#4 Post by cuckooflew »

Yes , that would be appreciated,

I deleted my other posts, this topic makes no sense to me, and has been posted of 4 different forums, (counting this one), https://github.com/qpdf/qpdf/issues/11# ... -542315288
===
https://github.com/qpdf/qpdf/issues/11# ... -667705898
=========
https://www.linuxquestions.org/question ... ost6151676
=============================
https://github.com/qpdf/qpdf/issues/461
now i finally encountered that there something is totally wrong with my system: i cannot copy and paste commands - this does not work here. so i finally do one thing: i will type all the commands character by character...

question: should i type each of the four lines - i guess so. i guess that i need all the four lines.
It was answered, maybe, but the OP does not respond:
My guess is that you are using an old version of qpdf. What version do you have? The :even and :odd syntax was added in qpdf 9.1.
"qpdf" is available for Debian, and works as expected for me.
Please Read What we expect you have already Done
Search Engines know a lot, and
"If God had wanted computers to work all the time, He wouldn't have invented RESET buttons"
and
Just say NO to help vampires!

say_hello

#5 Post by say_hello »

dear cuckooflew

many thanks for the help & support untill now. This post makes maximum-sense to me. You have helped me - i recognized the response on github due to your hint. Many thanks for that.

by the way: regarding the issues see below:

https://github.com/qpdf/qpdf/issues/461
My guess is that you are using an old version of qpdf. What version do you have? The :even and :odd syntax was added in qpdf 9.1.

martin@mx:~
$ qpdf --version
qpdf version 8.4.0
Run qpdf --copyright to see copyright and license information.
martin@mx:~$ 

so - i think that i need a newer version...

i have seen in the mx-installer a newer version:

mx-test-repository: 
10.0.1-2-mx19+1
i will update to this newer version and will try again to run the even and odd commands

i will report the findings

have a great day

cuckooflew

#6 Post by cuckooflew »

Ok, and your welcome, I think that might very well be the problem, ...Something to consider, since I am not using MX, and not sure about their repositories, etc, with Debian, it is important that the software package is appropriate for the version of the OS you are using.
On the copy /paste, that depends on what text editor (perhaps "note pad" does not support it, I don't know) and terminal emulator, me ,using xterm for my CLI terminal, and the text editor joe, I had no problems, copying / pasting commands , etc,
Please Read What we expect you have already Done
Search Engines know a lot, and
"If God had wanted computers to work all the time, He wouldn't have invented RESET buttons"
and
Just say NO to help vampires!