Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

WIFI stops getiing data randomly.

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
moh

WIFI stops getiing data randomly.

#1 Post by moh »

I am under Debian testing (Thinkpad x220) and the wifi connection stops randomly, first i thought it was the distance from the router that caused this, but even close (around 1 meter away from the d-link router) i get theses disconnections, and sometimes i can't even connect to a wifi network that's visible with the highest signal strength .

uname -a:

Code: Select all

linux 5.7.0-1-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 5.7.6-1 (2020-06-24) x86_64 GNU/Linux
maybe it's a matter of router configuration (channels, etc.) ? can somebody help me get started investigating ?

Thanks in advance
Last edited by moh on 2020-07-29 23:25, edited 2 times in total.

RU55EL

Re: WIFI stops getiing data randomly.

#2 Post by RU55EL »

Have you tried Debian Stable?

Head_on_a_Stick

#3 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

And you forgot to tell us about the wireless hardware, firmware and driver.
deadbang

moh

#4 Post by moh »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:And you forgot to tell us about the wireless hardware, firmware and driver.

Code: Select all

Network controller [0280]: Intel Corporation Centrino Wireless-N 1000 [Condor Peak] [8086:0084]
Subsystem: Intel Corporation Centrino Wireless-N 1000 BGN [8086:1315]
Kernel driver in use: iwlwifi
i hope this helps

moh

#5 Post by moh »

RU55EL wrote:Have you tried Debian Stable?
I can't really do a clean install at this time

RU55EL

#6 Post by RU55EL »

Keep in mind, Debian testing may break. It is called testing for a reason. If you are running it to help with testing that is cool.

If you are running Debian as desktop operating system for normal use, you should be running stable.

Of course, if you have plenty of experience with Debian, you may want to run Debian testing to get newer software packages and help with finding bugs and fixing them.

[edit] I just noticed your forum join date. Your post count lead me to believe you may be new to Debian. Looks like I was wrong. You probably already know about stable/testing/sid. In which case, please disregard my post.[/edit]

Deb-fan

#7 Post by Deb-fan »

First thing that popped into head was possible conflict between kernel (did you upgrade it?) and firmware versions. Some quick googling seemed to indicate there's a basis for this train of thought. Would do some searches along those lines. What about output of "apt policy firmware-iwlwifi" did you upgrade it too ? Try upgrading both(kernel/firmware), downgrading both or a combo of that type of thing. Also check in output from dmesg. See if theres any clues in it.
Most powerful FREE tech-support tool on the planet * HERE. *

shep

#8 Post by shep »

This Arch wiki provides several things to investigate: power saving, bluetooth co-existance and 11n:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ne ... n/Wireless

The Debian wiki also suggests disabling bluetooth and using software encryption:

https://wiki.debian.org/iwlwifi

emariz

#9 Post by emariz »

Are there any relevant messages in /var/log/messages when this issue appears?
I have had many WiFi problems on my Thinkpad, but it has an Atheros wireless card. http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?p=723815#p723815

A new kernel version reached Testing this weekend. Could you try it and see if the issue persists?

stevepusser

#10 Post by stevepusser »

I would be glad that my wireless stopped getting random data! It needs to get what I want, not some random junk!

OK, I'll show myself out. Try the veal, folks!
MX Linux packager and developer

Deb-fan

#11 Post by Deb-fan »

^ He'll be here off and on all week folks!

Plus you@stevep made me think of tv dinners, the kind that include a veal-like substance patty, friggers are good too and haven't had one in forever, so thanks for reminding. :)
Most powerful FREE tech-support tool on the planet * HERE. *