Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Intel NUC8 Remote Blank Screen

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
fusionoz

Intel NUC8 Remote Blank Screen

#1 Post by fusionoz »

Hi all I hope someone out there is able to help. I and another team mate have been working on this issue since yesterday.

We have an Intel NUC8 that we have needed to install a back-ported kernel on (Linux version 4.19.0-0.bpo.9-amd64) on Debian 9 Buster.
We back-ported the kernel due to the Intel NIC not working with the original kernel.
Now the issue is when we try and remote into these devices we are faced with a blank screen but if a screen is connected to the HDMI the screen shows the terminal.

I am able to SSH into it so we do have that for trouble shooting.
We are at a lost on how to fix this issue. If you need any more information please let me know.

sickpig

Re: Intel NUC8 Remote Blank Screen

#2 Post by sickpig »

fusionoz wrote:Now the issue is when we try and remote into these devices
which protocol are you using to remote into?

fusionoz

#3 Post by fusionoz »

sickpig wrote:
fusionoz wrote:Now the issue is when we try and remote into these devices
which protocol are you using to remote into?
We are using ConnectWise Control (ScreenConnect). We have asked them for support but they have no clue why this is happening.

sickpig

#4 Post by sickpig »

That seems like an app. What's the underlying protocol? You can check if the ports required for that protocol are accessible from where you are trying to connect

fusionoz

#5 Post by fusionoz »

We have all ports open. One thing i have noticed is if i Install xorg and call startx it works but then my ssh connection cant do anything is there away to get this to start automatically so that both ssh and Control work together?

fusionoz

#6 Post by fusionoz »

Just for any one else that gets stuck with this remember if you install xorg dont forget to install xdm like i have once this is installed your able to remote in with ConnectWise Control. :mrgreen:

eriefisher

#7 Post by eriefisher »

I had to search for this "ConnectWise Control" having never heard of it. This is a pay for application and they told you they have no idea what's going on??????

There are several, well documented and free methods of connecting to or starting and viewing a remote X server in Linux why would you pay for one? There are even free closed source options. VNC, RDP, X over ssh, it depends on your needs and environment. If I was to pay for a service the last thing I'd want to hear is "we have no idea".
Xfce4 4.14

cuckooflew

#8 Post by cuckooflew »

So does this (below) mean you solved it ?
fusionoz wrote:Just for any one else that gets stuck with this remember if you install xorg dont forget to install xdm like i have once this is installed your able to remote in with ConnectWise Control. :mrgreen:

Yes, that is all very nice, but I am not going to buy this product , just to help you trouble shoot it,.. I think maybe you got "took", should have checked before buying and made sure they offer support for their product.
If it is solved now, please edit the subject line and add the word solved.
Maybe some people will find this, and know not to buy this software, they don't even have any support.
Please Read What we expect you have already Done
Search Engines know a lot, and
"If God had wanted computers to work all the time, He wouldn't have invented RESET buttons"
and
Just say NO to help vampires!

stevepusser

#9 Post by stevepusser »

Please let us know what hardware this NUC has so we have some idea of the support under Stretch. For much hardware more recent than 2016, just a newer kernel isn't enough.

Can't you just upgrade in place to Debian Buster?
MX Linux packager and developer