Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

an own package

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
oui

an own package

#1 Post by oui »

I need an own package.

all the stuff is in /usr/lib/myPkg
except the link in /usr/bin/myPkg as well as in /usr/application/myPkg.desktop

I would be interesting to make an own Debian package out that stuff to register it properly in the Debian packaged management invoking dpkg -i .

Is that (easily) possible?

my system: deb https://deb.debian.org/debian/ bullseye main non-free contrib build from weekly CD1 with xfce

4D696B65
Site admin
Site admin

Re: an own package

#2 Post by 4D696B65 »

stevepusser

#3 Post by stevepusser »

Yes, it is possible.

How easily depends on the viewpoint and the package, of course. For some people, riding 200 km in a day on a bicycle is rather easy, while it would kill many others.
MX Linux packager and developer

Head_on_a_Stick

#4 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

deadbang

oui

#5 Post by oui »

Hi dear Head_on_a_stick

marvelous to meet you again after such a long time!

http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php? ... 80#p725680

oui

#6 Post by oui »

head on stick: I only will convert seamonkey and iron into each a working deb package to break the monopol position at Debian from firefox and google with chrome or chromium :roll:

I don't will to learn how to create new packages for a more and more monopolistish distribution :idea:

cuckooflew

#7 Post by cuckooflew »

If you are capable of doing it, then why don't you just do it.
Will you also be maintaining the packages, ? Security is important, will you be keeping that up to date ?
What is the point in making a new package, when we can get a current, up-to-date, and well maintained package here : https://www.seamonkey-project.org/
But really, why bother ?
Under the hood, SeaMonkey uses much of the same Mozilla Firefox source code
The "Firefox-esr" for Debian is the same, and well maintained, secure, packaged by Debian devlopers/users, that have experience, etc.
I don't will to learn how to create new packages for a more and more monopolistish distribution
I am sorry, but this just does not make sense, can you explain or word it better ?
Please Read What we expect you have already Done
Search Engines know a lot, and
"If God had wanted computers to work all the time, He wouldn't have invented RESET buttons"
and
Just say NO to help vampires!

stevepusser

#8 Post by stevepusser »

Seamonkey's been done, if you just want the binaries from Mozilla in a deb: http://mxrepo.com/mx/repo/pool/main/s/seamonkey/

Building it from source code is a whole 'nother deal...I don't think anyone is doing that on a Debian or derivative base.

Good luck with Iron, chromium-based source builds are a royal pain. You're not going to learn to do that as a beginner from the Maintainer's guide.

stevepusser

#9 Post by stevepusser »

oui wrote:head on stick: I only will convert seamonkey and iron into each a working deb package to break the monopol position at Debian from firefox and google with chrome or chromium :roll:
A monopoly with two competitors? Literally a logical impossibility, call it a duopoly.

oui

#10 Post by oui »

stevepusser wrote:
oui wrote:head on stick: I only will convert seamonkey and iron into each a working deb package to break the monopol position at Debian from firefox and google with chrome or chromium :roll:
A monopoly with two competitors? Literally a logical impossibility, call it a duopoly.
It only seems to be some contradiction:

- you can't deny that some companies have a monopolist position in China or can you that :mrgreen: but they are other companies as in the USA :wink: .

it is the same in Linux ...

some ones preinstall the commercial web browser firefox and some other the free web browser from google, google, the supplier for end user given free of charges his good services: no payment for BEST search results, no payment for translations, no payment for groups activity, no payment for online dictation, no payment for best browser :idea:

I hope you understand humorous :mrgreen:

PS: than you very much for the seamonkey package that I will try as soon as possible as the version, that I did install in my Debian 32 bit (Seamonkey 2.53.4 from Mozilla build) crashes relatively often!