Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Install from USB fails (ATA bus errors...)

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
tuxmain

Install from USB fails (ATA bus errors...)

#1 Post by tuxmain »

Hello,

This is the first time I encounter this problem installing Debian on a laptop from USB.
I partitioned the 350 GB HDD automatically, with only / and swap. Everything is ok, until it fails without error during packages installation. The same happens if I jump to the Grub step.

The install drive integrity check is ok. Here is the syslog: https://txmn.tk/nextcloud/index.php/s/9YLKQ2YdPp7kbcS

There are lots of ATA bus errors, "failed command: WRITE FPDMA QUEUED", "SError: { UnrecovData CommWake HandShk }".

According to people on forums, it could be due to power management, but there is no related option in BIOS.

Do you have some idea? Please ask if you need more info about the config.
Last edited by tuxmain on 2020-08-13 12:22, edited 1 time in total.

cuckooflew

Re: Install from USB fails (ATA bus errors...)

#2 Post by cuckooflew »

I don't want to download that file, is there some reason you do not make it viewable ? Also,
I partitioned the 350 Go HDD
I did try to search that, I had not ever heard of it before,...
This is the first time I encounter this problem installing Debian on a laptop from USB.
Most laptops support installing with a usb device, but some don't, and at this point I can not guess, since I still don't know what brand of laptop, nor any specs on it. As I mentioned, my search results for "what is a 350 Go HDD" did not return anything useful.
Some times how you created the usb installer, has a lot to do with it, but again, we have no clue as to how you made the device,...
Sorry, maybe someone else can do better.
Please Read What we expect you have already Done
Search Engines know a lot, and
"If God had wanted computers to work all the time, He wouldn't have invented RESET buttons"
and
Just say NO to help vampires!

Head_on_a_Stick

#3 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

cuckooflew wrote:I don't want to download that file
Me neither.

@OP: how exactly did you transfer the ISO image to the USB stick? Are you sure the USB stick isn't broken?
deadbang

LE_746F6D617A7A69

#4 Post by LE_746F6D617A7A69 »

The "350 Go HDD" looks like portable drive (judging by the "Go" part) - is this an USB drive?
tuxmain wrote:There are lots of ATA bus errors, "failed command: WRITE FPDMA QUEUED", "SError: { UnrecovData CommWake HandShk }".
This means a hardware problem - like broken SATA cable, damaged HDD and if this is an USB dive - incompatible or broken USB<->SATA bridge.
Bill Gates: "(...) In my case, I went to the garbage cans at the Computer Science Center and I fished out listings of their operating system."
The_full_story and Nothing_have_changed

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#5 Post by sunrat »

cuckooflew wrote:
I partitioned the 350 Go HDD
I did try to search that, I had not ever heard of it before,...
I think "Go" translates to "GB" in some language.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

tuxmain

#6 Post by tuxmain »

Sorry, in French GB is Go, I just forgot to translate...

It's not my computer, I don't know how the install key was created, but it runs fine at the beginning and passes the checksum test.

The laptop is a Dell Latitude E5430.

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#7 Post by p.H »

tuxmain wrote:The install drive integrity check is ok.
What drive integrity check ?
tuxmain wrote:Here is the syslog
I am not going to download this file too. Please post at least a few relevant lines.
If you see "UNC" (for "uncorrectable"), the drive has bad sectors. Use smartctl to do get a real status of the drive.