Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Need kind help with enforcing custom EDID from firmware!

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
DeabianDieHard

Need kind help with enforcing custom EDID from firmware!

#1 Post by DeabianDieHard »

Since my original post made the mod believe I was DEMANDING HELP, I will change the tone to begging for help, to satisfy your needs.
TL;DR I need your kind help in manually forcing the EDID binary from firmware (Since my monitor apparently chose to forget its identity). One easy way to that is to extract the EDID from the monitor driver for Windows (As explained on Arch Wiki: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ke ... s_and_EDID) so that Linux ignores the botched/unreported EDID from my monitor. The method on Arch works on all Linux distributions including Debian.

Please visit this for info. Model and complete spec info of my monitor: https://www.lg.com/in/monitors/lg-19M38AB
Please don't visit if you don't like windows drivers. Link to Windows Driver (Only 1.5 MB): https://www.lg.com/in/support/product/lg-19M38A-B (It's the third download under software and drivers option in the right sidebar)

I beg you to download (Should you wish master) and kindly tell me what and how to extract the EDID from that. If that is not possible for some reason please please help this illiterate fool (me) to generate new EDID binaries for my resolution (First method of compiling on the same Arch wiki link, but I am too dumb to do it).. All required monitor spec information in available on the product link. Kidly have a look.

Master, this problem is not specific to a distro. The problem is in my monitor so it affects all Operating systems including Windows and BSD and Linux ofc. If you master still need to know, I am on Buster XFCE.

I have already forced my monitor's max supported resolution (1366x768) using Xrandr and placed the commands in the LightDM startup script to auto switch on every logon.

Code: Select all

xrandr --newmode $(cvt 1366 768 60 | grep Mode | sed -e 's/.*"/1366x768/') 
xrandr --addmode VGA-1 1366x768
xrandr --output VGA-1 --mode 1366x768
Now that seems to be reasonable solution at first but it's far from ideal. There's an annoying little black screen pause on every logon as the manually added resolution is forced. Then Linux detects 1368x768 instead of the requested resolution and the result is weird issues with font spacing, like they are too close to each other. And in dark mode the fonts have rough edges showing up. I have enabled RGB, hinting, anti-aliasing and custom DPI .. Nothing works.. I have explained more on the link above. Now I found the alternate solution on Arch Wiki and need to force this right from kernel so that it's consistent and works flawlessly with zero issues. But the problem is I am new to Linux so idk what to do!

More elaboration on the issue and how it all came to be:
I had bought this 720p monitor named LG 19M38AB just last year and it still has two years of warranty period remaining. It has already had it's faulty power cord? replaced two months ago. I dual boot Windows and Linux and bother Operating Systems perfectly recognized this monitor as LG 19 up until last month when suddenly the resolutions reverted back to 1024x768 (in both OS(s) ofc). On Windows I suddenly had/and still have resolutions up to 2560x1600. Not kidding, check this https://prnt.sc/tzautl. Since the option 1366x768 was still available on Windows, I selected that and Windows never had any issues thereafter. But on Linux, the solution was hacky and ended up with a weird resolution 1368x768 instead of 1366x6768 no matter how hard I tried. Heck, Linux , unlike Windows just didn't have resolutions more than 1024x768 showing up in option so I had to manually add the custom mode and then activate. The result is some weird font issues (not related to RGB, hinting or DPI I swear).

I ran this Monitor Asset Manager tool and it shows all sorts of impossible resolutions (for tis 720p monitor) and six random ABC xxxxxx models instead of LG19XXX. I have pasted all the output here: https://pastebin.com/N6dQVVTK
Last edited by DeabianDieHard on 2020-08-15 01:43, edited 1 time in total.

cuckooflew

Re: Need help with manually forcing EDID from firmware!

#2 Post by cuckooflew »

Please download and tell me what and how to extract the EDID from that.
No thanks, I am not downloading anything,..especially something for MS windows,
Link to Windows Driver (Only 1.5 MB):
I don't use windows drivers, nor windows , never have...never will.
The problem is in my monitor
I suggest throwing that monitor away ,and buy one that does not require MS windows /drivers, etc. Don't buy Microsoft specific hardware .period. you are now seeing why.
I had bought this 720p monitor named LG 19M38AB just last year and it still has two years of warranty period remaining. It has already had it's faulty power cord?
I am sorry to hear this, but thank you for sharing so that others know to NOT buy this junk.
Good luck
Please Read What we expect you have already Done
Search Engines know a lot, and
"If God had wanted computers to work all the time, He wouldn't have invented RESET buttons"
and
Just say NO to help vampires!

DeabianDieHard

Re: Need help with manually forcing EDID from firmware!

#3 Post by DeabianDieHard »

I wonder why you are on this forum. No, in all seriousness, those are the answers you came up with? Phew! Forum mods should consider removing cringe shilling like this.
No thanks, I am not downloading anything
That's so helpful! Thank you so much! But maybe you could look at the Arch wiki and compile the EDID binary? That doesn't require Windows drivers (But requires extra effort hence I mentioned this first). That's a zip file containing all required info (But i don't know what part to work with, hence this post). Oof sorry, you can only troll.
I don't use windows drivers, nor windows , never have...never will.
I don't care. Your opinion doesn't make Windows useless.
I suggest throwing that monitor away ,and buy one that does not require MS windows /drivers, etc.
I bought this monitor because it falls under my budget and you have no right to tell me what to do with it. 'Monitor for Windows', 'Microsoft Specific Hardware'.. lol no. It's nothing like that. Linux doesn't need any dedicated driver for these cheap generic monitors. The monitor got problems because of the bad EDID issue which can be overcome with the methods documented on the Arch wiki But nah, helping with that is bs for you. Trolling is perfect.

cuckooflew

Re: Need help with enforcing custom EDID from firmware!

#4 Post by cuckooflew »

You can download that file and use the article you link to , to do the repair, In fact that is what you need to do, nobody else can be there to do it for you. If you had asked for help with specific parts of the tutorial that you don't understand, that would be different, but you come here demanding that someone do everything for you, well what did you expect ?

I could have just moved your post to spam, considering it seems to be just trying to get some one to view these other sites, and download files from them. Would you prefer that ?
I read your report, pretty good , pretty good. Thank you. Yes you are right I am a troll and I enjoy it, you can keep arguing with me all you want, and see how far it gets you, or you can calm down, and just wait, some body else might be able to give you some advice, and help you with parts that you don't understand, in the mean time maybe download that file your self, see what it has in it, and also follow the instructions in the link you posted, if you are so sure it will work, if and when you get to a part that you need help, explanation, please do tell us, or ask, nicely... but you do the work your self.
I still stand by what I said, but will add, it is your own fault you did not look at the specs for that screen, and make sure it does support linux BEFORE buying it. If you are unable or don't want to buy another monitor, then you can just use MS windows, and be patient,
maybe some will make the drivers, and firmware required, for it. Keep trying with tutorial you link to, and do what it says, you should be able to fix it your self, but maybe not, sometimes when the hardware is microsoft/windows specific, it just can not be used on a Linux system. It is not my fault you bought that hardware, and it is not my fault you can not fix it. Have a good day.
"If God had wanted computers to work all the time, He wouldn't have invented RESET buttons"
and

cuckooflew

#5 Post by cuckooflew »

Your opinion doesn't make Windows useless.
Ahh, that's great, great sense of humour, and you are right, my opinion does not make Windows useless, Bill Gates, and Microsoft did that.
It's nothing like that. Linux doesn't need any dedicated driver for these cheap generic monitors. The monitor got problems because of the bad EDID issue which can be overcome with the methods documented on the Arch wiki
Well great, I hope so, so if this is the case, and you know that, go use those methods, and fix it. Why spam this forum with download links, etc ? Use the methods you are promoting.
and

LE_746F6D617A7A69

#6 Post by LE_746F6D617A7A69 »

DeabianDieHard wrote:TL;DR I need your help in manually forcing the EDID binary from firmware (Since my monitor apparently chose to forget its identity). One easy way to that is to extract the EDID from the monitor driver for Windows (As explained on Arch Wiki: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ke ... s_and_EDID) so that Linux ignores the botched/unreported EDID from my monitor. The method on Arch works on all Linux distributions including Debian.

Model and complete spec info of my monitor: https://www.lg.com/in/monitors/lg-19M38AB
Link to Windows Driver (Only 1.5 MB): https://www.lg.com/in/support/product/lg-19M38A-B (It's the third download under software and drivers option in the right sidebar)
That win driver does not contain the EDID data - and this is a normal situation - none of the monitor "drivers" (.inf files on windows) contains the EDID data - and maybe I'm blind, but I can't see a single sentence about extracting EDID data from windows drivers on that Arch page.

Anyway, most of monitors today are using DDC channel to expose EDID data - which means that there are two dedicated wires used for this purpose in the monitor cable. It can be that the cable is broken - replace it and check the results. (this does not apply to DisplayPort cables)
Bill Gates: "(...) In my case, I went to the garbage cans at the Computer Science Center and I fished out listings of their operating system."
The_full_story and Nothing_have_changed

DeabianDieHard

#7 Post by DeabianDieHard »

cuckooflew wrote:You can download that file and use the article you link to , to do the repair, In fact that is what you need to do, nobody else can be there to do it for you. If you had asked for help with specific parts of the tutorial that you don't understand, that would be different, but you come here demanding that someone do everything for you, well what did you expect ?
Maybe I did that but still couldn't achieve the result and that's why I took my time to write such a long post explaining the problem? Maybe I am new to linux and don't understand any low level stuff like this? Wow. It's just crazy that I have to write this to make you understand. See what the other person on this thread replied. That's a normal answer I had expected. I NEVER DEMANDED FOR ANYTHING. You could tell me step by step what to do. That's not counted in DOING IT FOR ME.
I could have just moved your post to spam, considering it seems to be just trying to get some one to view these other sites, and download files from them. Would you prefer that ?
Yeah that's how mods work, you have the power to do anything your mind speaks. Stop pretending like I am trying to get people to download random exe files from random sites on the internet. People are not blind and I wanted guidance on how to extract that EDID file, if possible from the driver.
maybe some will make the drivers, and firmware required, for it. Keep trying with tutorial you link to, and do what it says, you should be able to fix it your self, but maybe not, sometimes when the hardware is microsoft/windows specific, it just can not be used on a Linux system. It is not my fault you bought that hardware, and it is not my fault you can not fix it. Have a good day.
I never said you are my godfather who is gonna save me. I didn't quote 'demand' and cry for your help. I didn't say it's your fault that I can't fix it. Now please shut up.

DeabianDieHard

#8 Post by DeabianDieHard »

LE_746F6D617A7A69 wrote:
DeabianDieHard wrote:TL;DR I need your help in manually forcing the EDID binary from firmware (Since my monitor apparently chose to forget its identity). One easy way to that is to extract the EDID from the monitor driver for Windows (As explained on Arch Wiki: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ke ... s_and_EDID) so that Linux ignores the botched/unreported EDID from my monitor. The method on Arch works on all Linux distributions including Debian.

Model and complete spec info of my monitor: https://www.lg.com/in/monitors/lg-19M38AB
Link to Windows Driver (Only 1.5 MB): https://www.lg.com/in/support/product/lg-19M38A-B (It's the third download under software and drivers option in the right sidebar)
That win driver does not contain the EDID data - and this is a normal situation - none of the monitor "drivers" (.inf files on windows) contains the EDID data - and maybe I'm blind, but I can't see a single sentence about extracting EDID data from windows drivers on that Arch page.

Anyway, most of monitors today are using DDC channel to expose EDID data - which means that there are two dedicated wires used for this purpose in the monitor cable. It can be that the cable is broken - replace it and check the results. (this does not apply to DisplayPort cables)
On arch wiki, it said this line: Extracting an existing one is in most cases easier, e.g. if your monitor works fine under Windows you might have luck extracting the EDID from the corresponding driver. This line is the reason why I made such a long post.. In the hope that someone would help me but the power user above is telling me that I am spamming.

DeabianDieHard

#9 Post by DeabianDieHard »

cuckooflew wrote:if and when you get to a part that you need help, explanation, please do tell us, or ask, nicely... but you do the work your self.
Man, define 'ask nicely'. Since I apparently lack any sense of propriety and I outright demanded a solution from you..lol stop hallucinating. I just asked for advice since I couldn't figure out what do do from the driver files. lol
I still stand by what I said, but will add, it is your own fault you did not look at the specs for that screen, and make sure it does support linux BEFORE buying it.
For your kind information this monitor was working for more than a year on Linux.. perfectly fine. Linux works like magic but the problem arouse when my monitor had a hardware problem and the wiki had the fix damn.
If you are unable or don't want to buy another monitor, then you can just use MS windows, and be patient, maybe some will make the drivers, and firmware required, for it.

There's no driver. It just worked. Just how weird can you drive this conversation to be?

cuckooflew

#10 Post by cuckooflew »

Well you are doing a good job of making it even weirder, maybe it would be more productive if stop all the cry baby stuff, and do some searches, etc,...start trying to trouble shoot this in a intelligent manner.
======
Oh, and since you did not bother, I want to say thanks to LE_746F6D617A7A69 ,
for the information, ....
Check the cable first :
LE_746F6D617A7A69 wrote:---snip --- Anyway, most of monitors today are using DDC channel to expose EDID data - which means that there are two dedicated wires used for this purpose in the monitor cable. It can be that the cable is broken - replace it and check the results. (this does not apply to DisplayPort cables)
Looks like the specs show it is :

Code: Select all

GENERAL FUNCTION

DDC/CI
        Yes 

Intelligent Auto (Auto Resolution)
        Yes 

After replacing or checking the cable, if needed:
There is a package for Debian : https://packages.debian.org/buster/read-edid
hardware information-gathering tool for VESA PnP monitors

read-edid consists of two tools:

get-edid uses a VESA VBE 2 interrupt service routine request to read a 128 byte EDID version 1 structure from your graphics card, which retrieves this information from the monitor via the Data Display Channel (DDC).

get-edid uses architecture-specific methods for querying the video hardware (real-mode x86 instructions on i386, Open Firmware device tree parsing on PowerMac) and is therefore only available for i386 and powerpc architectures.

parse-edid parses this data structure and outputs data suitable for inclusion into the XFree86 or X.org configuration file. It is available for any architecture.
After installing it, 'get-edid' to run it. Or 'parse-edid' 'man get-edid' for a manual.
It does need to be run as root
==========================================
Last edited by cuckooflew on 2020-08-15 02:14, edited 2 times in total.
and

DeabianDieHard

#11 Post by DeabianDieHard »

cuckooflew wrote:Well you are doing a good job of making it even weirder, maybe it would be more productive if stop all the cry baby stuff, and do some searches, etc,...start trying to trouble shoot this in a intelligent manner.
Yeah, you expect every newbie to be able to do that, right? Just call every newbie out there a cry baby and job done. Troll the newbie for his dumbness and then offer any sort of relevant help.
Oh, and since you did not bother
Please stop. Thank you for all your answers. I am overwhelmed by the response I have received. Don't worry, karma will teach you back for this treatment. Now this should sound very weird too, but don't worry, you'll receive it regardless.

cuckooflew

Re: Need kind help with enforcing custom EDID from firmware!

#12 Post by cuckooflew »

Really ? Is that a threat ?
Just try installing the package, and see if it has the info you need,...If you don't understand the info, or don't know what to do with it, post the out put here.
and

Head_on_a_Stick

#13 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

DeabianDieHard wrote:On arch wiki, it said this line: Extracting an existing one is in most cases easier, e.g. if your monitor works fine under Windows you might have luck extracting the EDID from the corresponding driver.
Have you even tried extracting anything from the driver? I can't find an EDID binary file in there at all.
deadbang

cuckooflew

#14 Post by cuckooflew »

http://forums.debian.net/posting.php?mo ... 0#pr725807
Postby LE_746F6D617A7A69 » 2020-08-14 20:12
----other quoted text removed-----

LE_746F6D617A7A69 said you won't find it there, guess you did not believe it. ?
The OP could get that using the package I showed, we can not get it for them, one needs access to the PC and monitor/screen to get it.
Which still leaves me wondering why they was asking us to download that file, and if they were so sure that would solve the problem, why they had not just tried it their self ,..
But any way, guess I scared them away with my sarcasm, or something,.. I am sorry , and in the future will try not to do that,... guess that is another topic though.
===edited====
Just saying, but I found out about the package, "read-edid " https://packages.debian.org/buster/read-edid
When I did a search using key words " How to get the edid on a Debian system using the cli ", .. so any way , hope that will be useful to others.
and

cuckooflew

#15 Post by cuckooflew »

by DeabianDieHard » I beg you to download (Should you wish master) and kindly tell me what and how to extract the EDID from that. If that is not possible for some reason please please help this illiterate fool (me) to generate new EDID binaries for my resolution

I did show them what package they could use to get the EDID from their machine, but they were so busy being upset , editing their original post,etc,... they never noticed or tried the package, I did try it and it works well, but would need ssh access to their machine if they wanted me to get it for them.
and

Head_on_a_Stick

#16 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

cuckooflew wrote:LE_746F6D617A7A69 said you won't find it there, guess you did not believe it. ?
I had already checked before Tomazzi posted, I was just reinforcing their point for our obstreperous OP.
deadbang

LE_746F6D617A7A69

#17 Post by LE_746F6D617A7A69 »

DeabianDieHard wrote:On arch wiki, it said this line: Extracting an existing one is in most cases easier, e.g. if your monitor works fine under Windows you might have luck extracting the EDID from the corresponding driver. This line is the reason why I made such a long post.. In the hope that someone would help me but the power user above is telling me that I am spamming.
Ah yes - somehow I have mislooked this sentence (probably i was just too tired) - but anyway It's one of very few cases when the Arch wiki is not correct - You can't extract the EDID data from windows drivers.

I think the intention of author of that wiki was to suggest that You can read the EDID data under windows if it does not work under Linux -> which is a very unlikely and rare case.

Definitely, I was too tired to read the original post carefully and with understanding:
DeabianDieHard wrote:I dual boot Windows and Linux and bother Operating Systems perfectly recognized this monitor as LG 19 up until last month when suddenly the resolutions reverted back to 1024x768 (in both OS(s) ofc). On Windows I suddenly had/and still have resolutions up to 2560x1600. Not kidding, check this https://prnt.sc/tzautl. Since the option 1366x768 was still available on Windows, I selected that and Windows never had any issues thereafter. But on Linux, the solution was hacky and ended up with a weird resolution 1368x768 instead of 1366x6768 no matter how hard I tried. Heck, Linux , unlike Windows just didn't have resolutions more than 1024x768 showing up in option so I had to manually add the custom mode and then activate. The result is some weird font issues (not related to RGB, hinting or DPI I swear).

I ran this Monitor Asset Manager tool and it shows all sorts of impossible resolutions (for tis 720p monitor) and six random ABC xxxxxx models instead of LG19XXX. I have pasted all the output here: https://pastebin.com/N6dQVVTK
I have checked the raw EDID data reported by Monitor Asset Manager, which the OP posted on pastebin: indeed, the native resoulution for the first monitor is reported as 2560x1600, and moreover, all the checksums are correct.
However I don't know whether that application works correctly, that is, where those monitor data are read from - it looks like some cached data and/or complete bullshit spewed by that app.

Judging by the fact that "suddenly" both OSes switched to a fail-safe resolution of 1024x768 I'll bet that it's a problem with monitor or with the cable. Of course the best option is to repair the HW. The only other option IMO is to find original EDID data for this monitor (on the internet - because it does not seem to be possible on Windows too), and then follow the Arch wiki.

Regarding the 1366x768 problem: This resolution is not supported by most of existing GFX cards, even on windows, where a special trick with virtual desktop size is used to trick the users. The closest supported resolution is exactly the 1368x768. I think that the trick with virtual desktop size is also possible in X11, but I have no time test this.
Bill Gates: "(...) In my case, I went to the garbage cans at the Computer Science Center and I fished out listings of their operating system."
The_full_story and Nothing_have_changed