Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Debian 10.5 on GNOME two-finger scrolling keeps disabling.

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
adowson

Debian 10.5 on GNOME two-finger scrolling keeps disabling.

#1 Post by adowson »

I’m having a weird issue with GNOME where I have to keep re-enabling two-finger scrolling. As a temporary resolution I can run “sudo modprobe -r psmouse && sudo modprobe psmouse”. However, once the laptop suspends/resumes, two-finger scrolling completely stops working until I run the previous command again. Sometimes two-finger scrolling does work, but it requires heavy pressure on the trackpad unless I run the above modprobe commands.

To enable two-finger scrolling through the GUI I have to click on the switch twice before it enables, all other settings switches require one click which is odd. As soon as I switch out of that setting window and return, two-finger scrolling is disabled. No amount of re-enabling will keep it permanantly enabled.

My next step was to try manually re-enable it by running “gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.peripherals.touchpad two-finger-scrolling-enabled true” which has no effect and two-finger scrolling still appears as disabled in the GUI.

I have also tried modifying “/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/40-libinput.conf” by adding “Option "ScrollMethod" "twofinger"” but even after a reboot this doesn’t change anything. See:

Code: Select all

Section "InputClass"
        Identifier "libinput touchpad catchall"
        MatchIsTouchpad "on"
        MatchDevicePath "/dev/input/event*"
        Driver "libinput"
        Option "Tapping" "On"
        Option "ScrollMethod" "twofinger"
EndSection
I’m stumped? I’m guessing that this is a problem with GNOME since I’ve seen some mention of similar-ish issues online but none of their solutions have worked for me. Any ideas? Device is a Thinkpad x250.

Head_on_a_Stick

Re: Debian 10.5 on GNOME two-finger scrolling keeps disablin

#2 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

adowson wrote:I’m guessing that this is a problem with GNOME since I’ve seen some mention of similar-ish issues online but none of their solutions have worked for me
I'm guessing this is a problem with the user since I'm running Debian 10.5 with GNOME and two-finger scrolling is maintained between reboots for me.

Please post the output of

Code: Select all

apt policy
And please also list all of these mysterious "solutions" that you have tried so that you don't waste the time of anybody who tries to help you.
deadbang