Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Cannot find system logo files.[Solved]

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
Theguynextdoor

Cannot find system logo files.[Solved]

#1 Post by Theguynextdoor »

The debian logo that is shown in the settings>About page and the one in the bottom of login screen . I want to know the location so that I can replace it with something else. Where are these stored ? .
I am using Gnome Debian 10.
Last edited by Theguynextdoor on 2020-08-26 11:55, edited 1 time in total.

LE_746F6D617A7A69

Re: Cannot find system logo files.

#2 Post by LE_746F6D617A7A69 »

Theguynextdoor wrote:The debian logo that is shown in the settings>About page and the one in the bottom of login screen . I want to know the location so that I can replace it with something else. Where are these stored ? .
https://www.debian.org/logos/

Why do You want to replace it with something else? - are You going to become a custom Debian supporter or what?
Bill Gates: "(...) In my case, I went to the garbage cans at the Computer Science Center and I fished out listings of their operating system."
The_full_story and Nothing_have_changed

Theguynextdoor

#3 Post by Theguynextdoor »

LE_746F6D617A7A69 wrote:
Theguynextdoor wrote:The debian logo that is shown in the settings>About page and the one in the bottom of login screen . I want to know the location so that I can replace it with something else. Where are these stored ? .
https://www.debian.org/logos/

Why do You want to replace it with something else? - are You going to become a custom Debian supporter or what?
I don't want the logo obviously I can get it from multiple places it's easily available. I want to know the location where it is stired in the actual system .
I am trying to make a custom Debian iso. This is my first project I tried a lot but couldn't find which logo file was the settings> Details page was using and the login screen bottom debian logo with full text

cuckooflew

#4 Post by cuckooflew »

All though it says "obsolete", these basic commands have not really changed much, learn to use them, before you start trying to do more advanced tasks, such as make a custom Debian iso.
https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/user/ch-files.html
.7.3 Finding a file on the system

There are two different facilities for finding files: find and locate. find searches the actual files in their present state. locate searches an index generated by the system every morning at 6:42 a.m. (this is a cron job, explained elsewhere in this manual). locate won't find any files which were created after the index was generated. However, since locate searches an index, it's much faster - like using the index of a book rather than looking through the whole thing.

To compare the two ways of finding files, pretend you can't remember where the X configuration file XF86Config resides.

locate XF86Config

This should be pretty fast. You'll get a list of filenames which contain XF86Config, something like this:

/etc/X11/XF86Config
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/XF86Config
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/XF86Config.eg
/usr/X11R6/man/man5/XF86Config.5x.gz

find / -name XF86Config

In general find is a more powerful utility, and locate is faster for everyday quick searches. The full range of possible searches would take a long time to explain; for more details type info find, which will bring up the very thorough info pages on find and locate.
And, this is newer,
https://wiki.debian.org/WhereIsIt
Please Read What we expect you have already Done
Search Engines know a lot, and
"If God had wanted computers to work all the time, He wouldn't have invented RESET buttons"
and
Just say NO to help vampires!

cuckooflew

#5 Post by cuckooflew »

A example:

Code: Select all

$ locate debian logo | less
I do not use Gnome , so your results will be different, and your description of which logo you want to find is not clear to me, but I found the one I have for my login screen, surely you can find yours, I mean it is in your PC somewhere :mrgreen:
"If God had wanted computers to work all the time, He wouldn't have invented RESET buttons"
and

Theguynextdoor

#6 Post by Theguynextdoor »

cuckooflew wrote:All though it says "obsolete", these basic commands have not really changed much, learn to use them, before you start trying to do more advanced tasks, such as make a custom Debian iso.
https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/user/ch-files.html
.7.3 Finding a file on the system

There are two different facilities for finding files: find and locate. find searches the actual files in their present state. locate searches an index generated by the system every morning at 6:42 a.m. (this is a cron job, explained elsewhere in this manual). locate won't find any files which were created after the index was generated. However, since locate searches an index, it's much faster - like using the index of a book rather than looking through the whole thing.

To compare the two ways of finding files, pretend you can't remember where the X configuration file XF86Config resides.

locate XF86Config

This should be pretty fast. You'll get a list of filenames which contain XF86Config, something like this:

/etc/X11/XF86Config
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/XF86Config
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/XF86Config.eg
/usr/X11R6/man/man5/XF86Config.5x.gz

find / -name XF86Config

In general find is a more powerful utility, and locate is faster for everyday quick searches. The full range of possible searches would take a long time to explain; for more details type info find, which will bring up the very thorough info pages on find and locate.
And, this is newer,
https://wiki.debian.org/WhereIsIt
I know how to find files . All the three commands .. main problem is there are a lot of Debian logo files a lot .I have already done this in ubuntu multiple times but debian has lot of logo files I can't figure it out which one is used by the settings details page

cuckooflew

#7 Post by cuckooflew »

Well, I am sorry, but I can not go over to your house and show you , on your system, yes, it is still a lot of files, you need to "browse" them, and since you do not even tell us what theme you are using, or anything, at least show us a screen shot, of exactly which logo/icon you are talking about,
Also you are not really answering question asked of you:
Why do You want to replace it with something else?
So you want to make a "custom iso", is that what you call customizing something, change the logo and pretend it is something else ?
Stop pretending:
I know how to find files
No you don't, that is why you can not find it.
I have already done this in ubuntu multiple times but debian has lot of logo files I can't figure it out which one is used by the settings details page
Ahh, ok, well so does Ubuntu, I find it harder and harder to believe you, you probably asked some one , and they held your hand, gave you the path to the icon for the Ubuntu logo, and all you did was copied/pasted, and never learned anything, if you did it on Ubuntu several times, Debian shoud be almost the same, of course Debian is not Ubuntu, but Gnome is Gnome, and that is the problem , Gnome has to many icons, and more icons, and is a mess, .... I don't use it (Gnome), but any way, you can try harder, or just wait, and someone will come along that just hold your hand and gives you a copy/paste path, like they did on Ubuntu, and you will make your "customized ISO", with some other logo, and pretend it is something it isn't. Or something,...
his is my first project I tried a lot ---snip---
Not really, well maybe you did, but you just need to try even more, or wait for some one to come hold your hand, and do it for you,... Changing the logo, is not essential , and does not seem like the most important part of building a truely customized Debian ISO, ... maybe you will get mad , and call me all sorts of names, but, to be honest I really don't know my self, on Gnome , I do know, when I changed my login window, here: http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php? ... start=1620 I did it the way I explained to you, first I started looking for the icons, and then I did some trial by error, and finally was able to modify it, but "fluxbox" WM, is a lot easier to work with then a Gnome DE,...I still have a lot more to learn before I could do anything with that.
I bet the Gnome developers do not even really know where they buried the icon, it is a worm, in the plate of spaghetti, and no one knows where it is,,,,,it is some where in there though. Hint, the Gnome wiki, might be a better place to look for details on where they hide the logo icons, or your display manager, is it wayland, gdm, light gdm, ... you don't bother giving us any information, and you expect someone to know where it is,...I am getting sleepy now,..
Ahh, to modify mine, it took me several weeks of searching, and reading, and then trying a few, until I got the one that is used in the login screen,...How much time have you really spent on this ? and please be honest ...
Last edited by cuckooflew on 2020-08-25 04:57, edited 1 time in total.
and

cuckooflew

#8 Post by cuckooflew »

I did some additional searches for you, and find these: IF you are using 'gdm'
https://wiki.debian.org/GDM

Code: Select all

logo='/usr/share/icons/gnome/48x48/places/debian-swirl.png'
fallback-logo='/usr/share/icons/gnome/48x48/places/debian-swirl.png' 
Be care full and be sure to make a copy of the original file before you change/edit anything, you might need it .
If you are using Wayland, that is another story,
====
Disclaimer: I am not responsible for anything that happens, because you are the one that goes into the system files, and modify them
and

Theguynextdoor

#9 Post by Theguynextdoor »

cuckooflew wrote:Well, I am sorry, but I can not go over to your house and show you , on your system, yes, it is still a lot of files, you need to "browse" them, and since you do not even tell us what theme you are using, or anything, at least show us a screen shot, of exactly which logo/icon you are talking about,
Also you are not really answering question asked of you:
Why do You want to replace it with something else?
So you want to make a "custom iso", is that what you call customizing something, change the logo and pretend it is something else ?
Stop pretending:
I know how to find files
No you don't, that is why you can not find it.
I have already done this in ubuntu multiple times but debian has lot of logo files I can't figure it out which one is used by the settings details page
Ahh, ok, well so does Ubuntu, I find it harder and harder to believe you, you probably asked some one , and they held your hand, gave you the path to the icon for the Ubuntu logo, and all you did was copied/pasted, and never learned anything, if you did it on Ubuntu several times, Debian shoud be almost the same, of course Debian is not Ubuntu, but Gnome is Gnome, and that is the problem , Gnome has to many icons, and more icons, and is a mess, .... I don't use it (Gnome), but any way, you can try harder, or just wait, and someone will come along that just hold your hand and gives you a copy/paste path, like they did on Ubuntu, and you will make your "customized ISO", with some other logo, and pretend it is something it isn't. Or something,...
his is my first project I tried a lot ---snip---
Not really, well maybe you did, but you just need to try even more, or wait for some one to come hold your hand, and do it for you,... Changing the logo, is not essential , and does not seem like the most important part of building a truely customized Debian ISO, ... maybe you will get mad , and call me all sorts of names, but, to be honest I really don't know my self, on Gnome , I do know, when I changed my login window, here: http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php? ... start=1620 I did it the way I explained to you, first I started looking for the icons, and then I did some trial by error, and finally was able to modify it, but "fluxbox" WM, is a lot easier to work with then a Gnome DE,...I still have a lot more to learn before I could do anything with that.
I bet the Gnome developers do not even really know where they buried the icon, it is a worm, in the plate of spaghetti, and no one knows where it is,,,,,it is some where in there though. Hint, the Gnome wiki, might be a better place to look for details on where they hide the logo icons, or your display manager, is it wayland, gdm, light gdm, ... you don't bother giving us any information, and you expect someone to know where it is,...I am getting sleepy now,..
Ahh, to modify mine, it took me several weeks of searching, and reading, and then trying a few, until I got the one that is used in the login screen,...How much time have you really spent on this ? and please be honest ...
Look i dont want to create a argument here...
first i am not a noob who got into linux yesterday and trying to create a iso just by adding a custom name and logo .
second if you use gnome .. in settings > details section where are alll the details are shown about the system ... there is a small logo of the distribution.
i am not pretending i have already removed a lot of packages and added some useful ones, changed plymouth ..bashrc and few other configs.
and i didnt find the ubuntu somewhere ... i used dconf-editor to find the bottom login screen logo and i ran "find /usr/share/icons -name '*logo*' | grep ubuntu " to find the logo used in the ubuntu.
nobody has held my hand to help and i dont need also.
its just that i couldn't it in the usual places i thought . thats why i asked may be someone new, if they have changed in past then it would have been helpful.
changing login-windows is also fairly simple in ubuntu (may be because i have used ubuntu a lot) if you are on 20.04 then you have to extract the .css from the .gresource something like that inorder to change .
i am still trying it on a vm other possible places.
and i am on wayland

--update: i found the login window bottom logo BTW it was in /usr/share/desktop-base/debian-logos.
and yeah i will look into gnome forums .. may be i can find some hints there.
--update : i found the settings one too .. it resides in "/usr/share/icons/desktop-base/ and the file name was "emblem-debian" from th eusual "debian-logo" or ubuntu logo which made it harder ...thnxx for the help BTW...

cuckooflew

#10 Post by cuckooflew »

You are welcome,
Well, that's nice, while I was taking a nap, I did this:

But it is on "fluxbb" WM, with xdm display manager, the file logo is in the /usr/share/X11/xdm/pixmaps/debian.xpm
But I don't know if you will find any thing under xdm, there might be something like /gdm but I don't know what display manager you are using,...sooo
Again , if you just told us what display manager, ===edited
sorry I see you did :
and i am on wayland
ok on wayland, I am clue less, ===end edit ====
I enjoy, trying to help, and also trying to help you learn how to search for the files you want to find, but you claim you know how to do that,I am sure you will figure it out,post a screen shot when you do, thank you and have fun,
And I am mostly being sarcastic, I understand, you just want to do it, to see if you can, ...it is well worth it when you make enough effort and actually do figure it out, you have enough good hints, sounds like you almost have it.
A tip: try just modifying the existing image, just a little, and if you have the right one, it will show in your next login, if it doesn't, try another. You will find it.
I am really to sleepy to do any more now, ....we'll see tomorrow.
and

Theguynextdoor

#11 Post by Theguynextdoor »

cuckooflew wrote:You are welcome,
Well, that's nice, while I was taking a nap, I did this:

But it is on "fluxbb" WM, with xdm display manager, the file logo is in the /usr/share/X11/xdm/pixmaps/debian.xpm
But I don't know if you will find any thing under xdm, there might be something like /gdm but I don't know what display manager you are using,...sooo
Again , if you just told us what display manager, ===edited
sorry I see you did :
and i am on wayland
ok on wayland, I am clue less, ===end edit ====
I enjoy, trying to help, and also trying to help you learn how to search for the files you want to find, but you claim you know how to do that,I am sure you will figure it out,post a screen shot when you do, thank you and have fun,
And I am mostly being sarcastic, I understand, you just want to do it, to see if you can, ...it is well worth it when you make enough effort and actually do figure it out, you have enough good hints, sounds like you almost have it.
A tip: try just modifying the existing image, just a little, and if you have the right one, it will show in your next login, if it doesn't, try another. You will find it.
I am really to sleepy to do any more now, ....we'll see tomorrow.
i already found it .. check my previous post i added "update"at last i found it just a few minutes after posting !!

i found the login screen bottom logo earlier but th eon ein the settings app was tricky because it should be like "debian-logo.png " something like that .. b ut it was "emblem-debian.svg" yo see ".svg" i was trying to search all the .png and it was in .svg hiding and the name was also unusual.

cuckooflew

#12 Post by cuckooflew »

Thanks, that will be good to know if anyone else wants to try this,...please edit the first post, and add the word solved to the subject line, if this solves it.
and