Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Pulseaudio shows TV disconnected after suspend

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
piotrusch

Pulseaudio shows TV disconnected after suspend

#1 Post by piotrusch »

Hi,

I have a little NUC connected to my TV running Kodi. In order to get a more recent Version of Kodi than the one from Buster repositories I installed the one from flathub. Running Alsa without issues so far I had to switch to Pulse as the former one didn't seem to be supported by Flatpaks.

Now I have the issue that there's sometimes no sound after the box wakes up from sleep (S3). The only thing that helps is a reboot.

I tried this one https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pu ... om_suspend but no change.
Also I followed the Debian Wiki-Article and tried:

Code: Select all

$ pulseaudio --kill
$ pulseaudio --start
without success either.

There are some bugs reported about similar issues, some of them left open for years now.

Do you have any ideas how to solve it?

Thx, Piotrusch

LE_746F6D617A7A69

Re: Pulseaudio shows TV disconnected after suspend

#2 Post by LE_746F6D617A7A69 »

I have similar problem with my NUC, but I've discovered that pulse audio changes the output stream from "HDMI digital stereo output" to "analog stereo output" - and restarting the pulseaudio won't help, because the analog output is remembered as last working setting.
You need to change the default output either from the service script or trough pulseaudio desktop plugin (it takes just 2 clicks to select correct output)
Bill Gates: "(...) In my case, I went to the garbage cans at the Computer Science Center and I fished out listings of their operating system."
The_full_story and Nothing_have_changed

piotrusch

#3 Post by piotrusch »

[...] changes the output stream from "HDMI digital stereo output" to "analog stereo output" [...]
That's not the case here. Pavucontrol labels the HDMI output as "unplugged" (while of course it's still plugged in). I don't know why the status changes.

Do you have an idea to force the "plugged" state?

sickpig

#4 Post by sickpig »

piotrusch wrote:Do you have an idea to force the "plugged" state?
You need to reapply the display resolution by

xrandr -s $yoursreso
for eg 1366x768.
Also comment the below module in /etc/pulse/default.pa

#load-module module-switch-on-port-available
This issue sometimes manifests when the computer is brought back online while the display is powered off. Somehow the hmdi module remains unplugged.

I have experienced this too and could not find anything in logs but by trial and error discovered the above to fix it.

You can then confirm by checking the below

pactl list|grep  hdmi|grep -i 'Active Port'

Deb-fan

#5 Post by Deb-fan »

Some random thoughts ...

Rather than flatpak might try apt-pinning kodi from sid/unstable. For amd64 says version 2:18.7 currently and 18.8 for i386(32bit.) See if it helps with pulseaudio and/or try reverting back to using alsa as you were. Curious what version is available via flathub anyway? Thinking use of a flatpak could be part of the problem here.

Another randombit on this type of thing, constantly seeing people having issues after suspend/resume. Network, audio, backlight, touchpad, you-name-it. First thought keeps being script something to apply whichever fix, then thought systemd unit which could work well enough for some of these headaches, then googled a bit and found mention of /lib/systemd/system-sleep looks like there's provisions for running scripts-etc pre/post suspend. Not familiar with it but looked like it could maybe help resolve many folks resume woes.
Most powerful FREE tech-support tool on the planet * HERE. *

Head_on_a_Stick

#6 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Deb-fan wrote:try apt-pinning kodi from sid/unstable
That is horrendously bad advice, the kodi-bin package in sid depends on a newer version of libc6 than is available in buster.
deadbang

Deb-fan

#7 Post by Deb-fan »

All part of the eval process, prior to committing to whatever. Also started to do the ensure peeps make a backup speil, which is always a good idea just in general. At which point nothing anyone experiments with could ever become much of an issue as its always easily reversed. Still apply common sense/precautions and anything nix is no harm or foul. Would have no problem getting it working anyway. (Clarification: Mean im fairly confident i could get the dang thing working quick enough, might try pinning and see what/if breaks, though having taken said precautions first, make-keep backups, doing on a testing install or in a VM-etc. Also no doubt many other options to explore, when isn't there in gnu/nix?)

afterthought: Has @Stevep already backported kodi for Mx yet, not that there's anything wrong w flatpaks, not like portable or self contained apps are anything new, been around for a longggg time. Still if wanted a new media player on Debian stable would prefer a natively installed and managed pkg. As usual when discussing gnu/nix surely no shortage of ways to do that too.

Regards this overall mentioned would probably opt for a scripting solution or as rambling on these hassles ... suspend-resume in another thread, just prevent the system from ever going into suspend at all. Not sure that last fits the OP's needs or preferences though. :)
Most powerful FREE tech-support tool on the planet * HERE. *