Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

wget and Windows OS problem.

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
hack3rcon

wget and Windows OS problem.

#1 Post by hack3rcon »

Hello,
I used below command to download a whole website for reading it as oofline:

Code: Select all

$ wget --level=inf --recursive --page-requisites --user-agent=Mozilla --no-parent --convert-links --adjust-extension --no-clobber -e robots=off "URL"
But, some the files contain forbidden printable ASCII characters like "?", ":", "*" and Windows can't open them. How can I solve it?

Thank you.

sickpig

Re: wget and Windows OS problem.

#2 Post by sickpig »

hack3rcon wrote:How can I solve it?
Human sacrifice.

cuckooflew

#3 Post by cuckooflew »

Ask Bill Gates, or one of his fan boys at a MS windows forum.
Use some logic, maybe the website you are scraping does not want bots scraping it and has some parts protected, to keep the bots from scraping it and using the material else where.
The OP is not even willing to try searching, they are a broken bot , using a broken OS, so they probably will never know:
Warning: some antivirus tools recognise wget-1.20.3-win32.zip as potentially dangerous. The file that triggers the warning is wget.exe.debug, which contains debugging symbols for wget.exe, and isn't even executable. If your AV is giving you trouble, and you don't need the documentation or debug symbols, you can download wget.exe directly, or switch to a less broken security product.
The only bot that really does good searches is the google bot, it can solve anything that has a solution.
Please Read What we expect you have already Done
Search Engines know a lot, and
"If God had wanted computers to work all the time, He wouldn't have invented RESET buttons"
and
Just say NO to help vampires!

Head_on_a_Stick

#4 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

sickpig wrote:Human sacrifice.
I vote we sacrifice the OP :mrgreen:
deadbang

RU55EL

#5 Post by RU55EL »

hack3rcon wrote:Hello,

$ wget --level=inf --recursive --page-requisites --user-agent=Mozilla --no-parent --convert-links --adjust-extension --no-clobber -e robots=off "URL"
But, some the files contain forbidden printable ASCII characters like "?", ":", "*" and Windows can't open them. How can I solve it?
1) Delete the Windows operating system.

2) Install Debian

Problem solved.

reinob

#6 Post by reinob »

hack3rcon wrote:Hello,

Thank you.
You really don't read any manuals do you?

Check with "man wget". I promise you will find the necessary option, if you can read at all.
If you REALLY can't find it in the manual page, then ask again, but really, it IS there.