Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[SOLVED]BUSTER:GEANY-1.36 Cannot 'make install'

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
geoffkaniuk

[SOLVED]BUSTER:GEANY-1.36 Cannot 'make install'

#1 Post by geoffkaniuk »

This is the follow-up to my post How to install geany-plugin-debugger-1.36]. I have now upgraded to buster and obtained the source for geany and its plugin-debugger. There are three stages to the build:

Code: Select all

/home$ ./configure      SUCCESS
/home# make             SUCCESS
/home# make install     FAIL
Below is a summary of my own investigations, but I have reached a dead end :( The failure message for make install is:

/bin/bash: line 3: ldconfig: command not found
make[4]: *** [Makefile:1660: fix-ubuntu-libdir] Error 127
I have searched for 'ubuntu' in all the scripts produced by the commands up to make, and there are just two:

configure:
	# intltool hack to define install_sh on Debian/Ubuntu systems

ChangeLog:
commit 10e9dd70899cf7bc28246d84dce8a6483ed85f80   Sun Jul 5 16:17:55 2015 +0200
commit 860e3fb12e3ccc785b72c0ea030f0ed954d745be   Sat Jul 11 14:09:58 2015 +0200
    autotools: Workaround a Ubuntu issue when installing in /usr/local/lib
I have given just enough text to identify the sections in the (hopefully relevant) files: ChangeLog, configure, makefile.

I can of course let you have any other files you may wish to see. In attempting to debug, I have tried a dry-run and a trace with these results:

/home# make --dry-run install   NO ERROR REPORTED
/home# make --trace   install   SAME fix-ubuntu-libdir ERROR
Presumably something in configure or ChangeLog needs fixing. I would appreciate any help to get this issue resolved!

EDIT 27/09/2020 Solution:
On consulting Debian-wiki, I discovered sudo -s as a possible solution. I was going to leave a link to the wiki here, but frustratingly cannot recreate my wiki search. The command I used to build was:

~/geany-1.36$ sudo -s make install>report-main
[sudo] password for geoff:****
libtool: warning: relinking 'classbuilder.la'
libtool: warning: relinking 'htmlchars.la'
libtool: warning: relinking 'export.la'
libtool: warning: relinking 'saveactions.la'
libtool: warning: relinking 'filebrowser.la'
libtool: warning: relinking 'splitwindow.la'
gtk-update-icon-cache: Cache file created successfully.
gtk-update-icon-cache: Cache file created successfully.
~/geany-1.36$ echo $?
I used the same command for the plugings:

~/geany-plugins-1.36$ sudo -s make install>report-plugin
[sudo] password for geoff:****
libtool: warning: relinking 'debugger.la'
libtool: warning: relinking 'geanynumberedbookmarks.la'
libtool: warning: relinking 'scope.la'
libtool: warning: relinking 'treebrowser.la'
~/geany-plugins-1.36$ echo $?
Clearly the debugger was built. But when I ran Geany, there was no debugger or scope listed in Geany->Tools->Plugin Manager!

However, geany-1.36 is an improvement on what I had, and after some searching, I found the stand alone debugger Nemiver. So far, this seems to be working well, and has a presence in Testing and Unstable. In the meantime (I don't know how), debugger has appeared in Plugins Manager, but i am leaving it disabled.
Last edited by geoffkaniuk on 2020-09-27 16:33, edited 1 time in total.
Geoff

stevepusser

Re: BUSTER:GEANY-1.36 Cannot 'make install'

#2 Post by stevepusser »

Why are you running "make" as root?

Why not backport geany and geany-plugins from Bullseye, the smart way?
MX Linux packager and developer

Head_on_a_Stick

#3 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

^ +1
geoffkaniuk wrote:

/bin/bash: line 3: ldconfig: command not found
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=142973
deadbang

geoffkaniuk

#4 Post by geoffkaniuk »

stevepusser wrote:Why are you running "make" as root?
Oops - yes that was a mistake on my part. Would that really upset things? I will of course retry.
stevepusser wrote:Why not backport geany and geany-plugins from Bullseye, the smart way?
The only reason I am doing this is because geany-plugin-debugger has been dropped from the plugins since buster. I checked the bullseye/geany-plugins page before starting this exercise. My understanding from stretch is that debugger has geany as a dependency, so I thought it best to build both. But now I see that geany-1.36 is in bullseye. So maybe I should install geany from bullseye, then just make the plugins downloaded from Geany?

In response to my report on the ldconfig error message,
Head_on_a_Stick wrote:^ +1 ... viewtopic.php?f=16&t=142973
I am not sure what ^ +1 means in this forum? The su reference is interesting, but I do not know how it applies here. Apart from my make install run as root, all other commands are invoked by make?
Geoff

Head_on_a_Stick

#5 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

geoffkaniuk wrote:So maybe I should install geany from bullseye
No, don't do that. Read https://wiki.debian.org/DontBreakDebian

Enter "simple backports debian wiki" into your favourite search engine to learn how to do this the smart way.
geoffkaniuk wrote:I am not sure what ^ +1 means in this forum?
It is a shorthand notation indicating my support for the statement in the post above mine, thank you so much for making me type this out...
geoffkaniuk wrote:The su reference is interesting, but I do not know how it applies here. Apart from my make install run as root
Yes but how did you obtain a root shell? If you used plain 'su' then /sbin/ldconfig will not be included in $PATH and so will not be found by the 'make install' invocation.
deadbang

geoffkaniuk

#6 Post by geoffkaniuk »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:No, don't do that.
Agreed - install was loose talk and I should have said "backport" instead. But do you agree then that having downloaded Geany Plugins 1-36, I should:

backport geany-1.36 from bullseye
/home$ ./configure
/home$ make
/home# make install
to install all plugins in one go? Or would you backport bullseye plugin and then try to just add plugin-debugger from the downloads?

Thanks for the brownie points ( I did not want to guess! )
Head_on_a_Stick wrote:Yes but how did you obtain a root shell?
The Mate desktop provides a root terminal application via gksu mate-terminal and I use that if I am doing system work. The terminal starts up in my home directory, and I can immediately start work:

root@debian-deskside:/home/geoff# somecommand --option file
For one-offs I normally use the mate-terminal application:

~$ sudo somecommand
Geoff

Head_on_a_Stick

#7 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

geoffkaniuk wrote:Or would you backport bullseye plugin and then try to just add plugin-debugger from the downloads?
Right, I've been doing some digging and it looks like the debugger has been removed from bullseye as well: https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugrepo ... bug=790169

So if you want it then you will have to either compile and install it manually like some sort of caveperson or package it up properly. The configure script has options to disable the un-needed plugins and it should install to the /usr/local/ prefix if you decide to pursue the former path.
geoffkaniuk wrote:The Mate desktop provides a root terminal application via gksu mate-terminal and I use that if I am doing system work.
So if you open that "root terminal" application do you see /sbin listed in the output of

echo $PATH
But anyway the gksu package is obsolete and has been removed from buster so you probably shouldn't use that at all.

Try this file at /usr/local/share/applications/root-terminal.desktop to get a sensible menu entry for that function.
geoffkaniuk wrote:For one-offs I normally use the mate-terminal application:

~$ sudo somecommand
So does this work:

sudo make install
^ That should include /sbin in $PATH automatically.
deadbang

geoffkaniuk

#8 Post by geoffkaniuk »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote: ... do you see /sbin listed in the output of ...
I ran three versions to show PATH, and they all produced the same result:

/# echo $PATH
~$ echo $PATH
~$ sudo echo $PATH
/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/local/games:/usr/games
So this does not look promising? Currently PATH is set in my /etc/profile and may be set in ~$/.profile

/etc/profile:
if [ "`id -u`" -eq 0 ]; then
  PATH="/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin"
else
  PATH="/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/local/games:/usr/games"
fi
export PATH
If I have read "`id -u`" -eq 0 correctly, it is testing to see if no user is set? The id command returns me(1000):

~$ id -u
This explains the setting of PATH. Could I then perhaps set the /sbin path in my local profile? Presumably this will be needed to install the plugins. I am still interested in your view on: Backport geany from bullseye, but make install geany plugins?

Thanks for your comment re gksu, I will make the change. I did not spot gksu mentioned in the Release notes Ch 5 while preparing.
Is there a way to list all the packages removed from stretch?
Geoff

stevepusser

#9 Post by stevepusser »

I just did a straight backport of geany and geany-plugins 1.3.6 on vanilla Stretch and Buster bases in pbuilder for MX 17 and 19. I did have to add libenchant-dev as an alternative build-depend to libenchant-2-dev, and it worked, so I didn't have to backport a newer libenchant. You can also just substitute the older build-depend instead of adding it as an alternative with the pipe symbol. I also bumped up the debhelper compat to the more modern 10, as well as fixed up the rules file for 10, but that's just a nicety, and it should still build with the 9 that is shipped, even still in the Sid version.

libenchant-2-dev | libenchant-dev,
I didn't enable the debugger, though. Debian disables them because:
* [e18e901] Disable debugger, geanypy, multiterm and scope plugins (gtk2-only)
(Closes: #790169)
The plugins package also required geany (>= 1.3.5) as a build-depend.

If you want to at look the source and packages, they are in this zip, though almost all of the 500+ MB are Waterfox source and packages I also sent up... https://drive.google.com/file/d/1v0qSoK ... sp=sharing
MX Linux packager and developer

Head_on_a_Stick

#10 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

geoffkaniuk wrote:Is there a way to list all the packages removed from stretch?
It's always quicker to use a search engine for questions like that but here you go:

aptitude search '?obsolete'
https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/apti ... 05.en.html
deadbang

geoffkaniuk

#11 Post by geoffkaniuk »

Thanks for the link Head_on_a_Stick. That clarifies the meaning of obsolete as installed, but removed from the repository.
Geoff