Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Need advice about running update-initramfs

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
efrpcabo

Need advice about running update-initramfs

#1 Post by efrpcabo »

Hi,

I have two disks in my computer:
- disk A with debian installed
- disk B with mp3 music

Sometimes, I need to take disk B to a friend house.
Before I disconect the disk, I comment fstab and crypttab and run update-initramfs.

My question is:
Is it really necessary to run update-initramfs in this situation?
Since this disk has not the operative system.

Bloom
df -h | grep > 90TiB
df -h | grep > 90TiB

Re: Need advice about running update-initramfs

#2 Post by Bloom »

No.

Head_on_a_Stick

#3 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Add nofail to the options for the drive in /etc/fstab to allow the system to boot normally even if the drive isn't connected.
deadbang

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#4 Post by CwF »

You could just leave it out of fstab altogether and mount the drive using your favorite tool once you're up. You could even take it to your friends and come back without rebooting if you'd like.

efrpcabo

#5 Post by efrpcabo »

Hi,

Thank you all for your answers.

Does the same applies if the disk happens to be LUKS encripted?

CwF wrote:You could just leave it out of fstab altogether and mount the drive using your favorite tool once you're up. You could even take it to your friends and come back without rebooting if you'd like.
Could you elaborate on that?

What you are saying is that I could just plug and unplug the disk (hotplugging), as long as it is not mounted. Am I correct?

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#6 Post by CwF »

efrpcabo wrote: Could you elaborate on that?

What you are saying is that I could just plug and unplug the disk (hotplugging), as long as it is not mounted. Am I correct?
Correct, as long as your system supports it, yes.

I never modify fstab, well, unless I modify an image's boot disk identity.

No elaboration past that! My rule is only the boot disk in fstab. You can mount and dismount according to your desktop environment and your own preferences, LUKS is not a problem.

sgosnell

#7 Post by sgosnell »

Disk b is connected via USB? If so you don't need it in fstab unless you have a very specific reason for insuring that it's mounted in the same place every time. Debian will mount it automatically in /media/user/UUID or in /media/user/disklabel if the drive has a label. It's safer to eject the drive before unplugging it. That's easily done via the file manager if it's automounted.
Take my advice, I'm not using it.

efrpcabo

#8 Post by efrpcabo »

sgosnell wrote:Disk b is connected via USB? If so you don't need it in fstab unless you have a very specific reason for insuring that it's mounted in the same place every time. Debian will mount it automatically in /media/user/UUID or in /media/user/disklabel if the drive has a label. It's safer to eject the drive before unplugging it. That's easily done via the file manager if it's automounted.
No.
It is connect through sata and LUKS encrypted.

CwF wrote:
efrpcabo wrote: What you are saying is that I could just plug and unplug the disk (hotplugging), as long as it is not mounted. Am I correct?
Correct, as long as your system supports it, yes.
It would be awesome to just connect/disconnect the sata power and data cables, and then use the gnome-disk-utility, or file manager, to unlock/lock LUKS and mount/unmount my hard drives at will.

I'm using Debian 9.13, 64 bits.
Does it support this?

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#9 Post by CwF »

efrpcabo wrote:I'm using Debian 9.13, 64 bits.
Does it support this?
Debian and most all, if not all OS's support it. You need to check if your sata controller supports it, some don't. There may be settings in the bios to enable/disable hot plug, default should be enabled.

It sounds like you are doing this without a dock! Yes that works too, be careful!
Connect data, then power. Disconnect power, then data.

efrpcabo

#10 Post by efrpcabo »

CwF wrote:
Does it support this?
Debian and most all, if not all OS's support it. You need to check if your sata controller supports it, some don't. There may be settings in the bios to enable/disable hot plug, default should be enabled.
Thank you!
CwF wrote:
It sounds like you are doing this without a dock! Yes that works too, be careful!
Connect data, then power. Disconnect power, then data.
Thank you!