Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

debian buster fails on desktop selection

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
tdave

debian buster fails on desktop selection

#1 Post by tdave »

I am trying to install debian stable from usb and everything goes fine till it comes to desktop selection part, there is a box that you can use your error keys to go up and down and pick from about 5 or six things with a choice of back on left bottem corner or continue on right bottem corner. I can not get the selecter out of the box to the continue. is there a work around for this? it does not hang since it will move up and down those selections but not of the keys will move it to the continue and my mouse does not work in the install proccess. i just need to move to the next phase in the install. even if i ended up with no desktop. all i would need is apt and repos installed.

sickpig

Re: debian buster fails on desktop selection

#2 Post by sickpig »

"
Error messages and logs are redirected to the fourth console. You can access this console by pressing Left Alt+F4 (hold the left Alt key while pressing the F4 function key); get back to the main installer process with Left Alt+F1.
"

ref https://www.debian.org/releases/buster/ ... 01.en.html

logs can indicate what is wrong.

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#3 Post by sunrat »

You normally use arrow keys to move up and down and space bar to select or deselect each item. Then use Tab key to move to Continue. Is that what you are doing?
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

tdave

Re: debian buster fails on desktop selection (SOLVED)

#4 Post by tdave »

the tab bar works works like that up to this point in install but on this screen the tab bar selects and deselects the items you want to install. I did find another option to this problem. I found a live usb someone built and loaded it and did a install from it. thank god for generous users and mega. it seems to be a pure debian and has xforce which is fine. but still i think someone needs to look at this problem. since i can't be the only one having it I am surprised there was not a work around for it. thank you for your time in this matter. i guess they can mark this solved.
Last edited by tdave on 2020-09-01 02:26, edited 1 time in total.

Bulkley

#5 Post by Bulkley »

At the beginning of the install are you selecting the correct keyboard?

Have you considered that you have a bum installer? I would be inclined to download a fresh iso and make a fresh install usb.

sickpig

#6 Post by sickpig »

tdave wrote:i guess they can mark this solved.
To do so, edit the subject of your first post and prepend it with - solved

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#7 Post by sunrat »

tdave wrote:the tab bar works works like that up to this point in install but on this screen the tab bar selects and deselects the items you want to install.
There's no such thing as a tab bar. As I said Space bar selects and deselects items. Tab key moves to the next input box such as Continue. Different things. Tab key is usually on the kb left above Caps Lock and/or Shift. Sounds like you were not using it.
I did find another option to this problem. I found a live usb someone built and loaded it and did a install from it. thank god for generous users and mega. it seems to be a pure debian and has xforce which is fine. but still i think someone needs to look at this problem. since i can't be the only one having it I am surprised there was not a work around for it. thank you for your time in this matter. i guess they can mark this solved.
Some random image from Mega sounds like a Really Bad Idea®. How do you know it's not going to start using your computer to mine bitcoin or be part of a botnet? There are official Debian Live images available which have a simpler installer if that's what you want.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!