Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Black screen white underscore after installation!

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
tryagain100

Black screen white underscore after installation!

#1 Post by tryagain100 »

I just installed Debian dual boot with Windows 10. On the second disk, just / partition and efi 1GB. I am using UEFI boot. I tried to turn off secure boot, as some linuxes have problem with it. But i read it shouldn't be problem from documentation. I see gui boot menu and than system starts loading. I see ok ok ok green text... But than it is stuck on black screen, with underscore blinking. I waited long time and nothing booted up, even restarted and tried second time - didn't work. I have asus z390-i gaming motherboard and intel i5 9600 kf and geforce 2070 super. Not sure why it is not working. I used rufus to create install in iso mode, which was recommended, using default settings - which i found in online guide how to make bootable usb. I am using rufus all time and never had problem yet. Not sure why it doesn't work...

I tried edit normal boot entry and append at the end of line, which is starting with linux and ending with word quiet - nomodeset. Even this didn't help. Also first time, i didn't know how to save it and you are just supposed to boot, after editing it. It put word normally after quiet. But second time, it didn't fit on the same line - i don't understand how. And it wrapped word like this nomo/deset. No sure if that could cause it to not work. Have no idea.

Man linux so annoying, nothing works ever...

I uninstalled tired of nothing working on linux...

Deb-fan

Re: Black screen white underscore after installation!

#2 Post by Deb-fan »

Try the iso Head_on_a_Stick(green moderator guy in your other thread) put together, the link to it is in his signature.
Most powerful FREE tech-support tool on the planet * HERE. *

sickpig

#3 Post by sickpig »

tryagain100 wrote:Man linux so annoying, nothing works ever...
for impatient ignoramuses
tryagain100 wrote:I uninstalled tired of nothing working on linux...
Well done. Its great you could do that by yourself without requiring assistance.

stevepusser

#4 Post by stevepusser »

That's pretty new hardware--either the free nouveau driver doesn't support the 2070, you need to boot without modesetting, or it requires the firmware in firmware-misc-nonfree from buster-backports.
MX Linux packager and developer

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#5 Post by sunrat »

What we have here is a failure to communicate.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

Deb-fan

#6 Post by Deb-fan »

^Lol. :D

Was going to suggest Mx too, Head_on's iso gives people a convenient route, opens doors for some with a given need but appears OP threw in the towel, probably best. Adapting Debian stable to newer hardware isn't rocket science surely though does have to require some know how on a users part. Jmo really new hardware + Debian stable proper + lesser skilled users = wrong tool for the job or again ... Wrong user for the tool at least. :)
Most powerful FREE tech-support tool on the planet * HERE. *

stevepusser

#7 Post by stevepusser »

They might still get the flashin' dash with MX, since there's been no newer nouveau to update. But at least they could try the AHS Live version to see if it works or not, and if they can get to a command prompt, run the CLI version of the MX Nvidia driver installer: "sudo ddm-mx -i nvidia".
MX Linux packager and developer