Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Restore snapshot or unistall packages for undo devs

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
bester69

Restore snapshot or unistall packages for undo devs

#1 Post by bester69 »

Hi,
How do you do when you need to build an application and it make you to install dozens of devs packages.. that you want to get rif of later.

Since I use btrfs I hardly ever unistall anything.. just use rollback snapshot sytem to prevent leave any unfit package forgotten... but i wondered if you dont consider that's a properly way to proceed...or you do the same thing?
bester69 wrote:STOP 2030 globalists demons, keep the fight for humanity freedom against NWO...

sickpig

Re: Restore snapshot or unistall packages for undo devs

#2 Post by sickpig »

Systemd-nspawn containers.

bester69

#3 Post by bester69 »

sickpig wrote:Systemd-nspawn containers.
Interesting, this is a new linux technology..isnt it?... is it easy to use and deploy? ..i know how to use chroot..I will take it a look later..

thanks. :) oink!!; oink!! :lol:
bester69 wrote:STOP 2030 globalists demons, keep the fight for humanity freedom against NWO...

sgosnell

#4 Post by sgosnell »

If I really want to get rid of a package, I remove it with the --purge option, then run

Code: Select all

apt autoremove
That removes the unneeded dependencies the install pulled in, provided they aren't needed by something I installed after the first one.
Take my advice, I'm not using it.

neuraleskimo

#5 Post by neuraleskimo »

bester69 wrote:
Interesting, this is a new linux technology..isnt it?... is it easy to use and deploy? ..i know how to use chroot..I will take it a look later..
I want to second the pig! Containers are the way to go. Yes, they are easy to use and deploy. I am not advocating a specific technology, but if you want to try Docker, I have a container for C/C++ development that you can use as a starting point or as an example. https://github.com/tonywalker1

Good luck!

stevepusser

#6 Post by stevepusser »

Or build them with pbuilder or sbuild, both of which don't touch your own system packages, (mostly, some packages require dev package installs on your system for the cleaning step). :D

You can also use Timeshift instead of btrfs snapshots.
MX Linux packager and developer

bester69

#7 Post by bester69 »

stevepusser wrote:Or build them with pbuilder or sbuild, both of which don't touch your own system packages, (mostly, some packages require dev package installs on your system for the cleaning step). :D

You can also use Timeshift instead of btrfs snapshots.
I believed Timeshift was a gui for btrfs or rsync hardlinks backup restoring..what did I miss?

Very interesting, there seems to be a lot of good Solutions... I think I will try to learn Systemd-nspawn containers, to me looks like a more practical tool for many things,,

Thanks to all, for your help and opinions :o ..

Head_on_a_Stick

#8 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

bester69 wrote:
systemd-nspawn just offers a systemd interface for a chroot container, it is nothing new.

EDIT: I'm lazy so I don't bother with sbuild, I just package up the software and use this to install the build dependencies:

# mk-build-deps --install --remove
Then remove them when $package is built:

# aptitude purge $package-build-deps
deadbang

cuckooflew

#9 Post by cuckooflew »

https://wiki.debian.org/nspawn
Please Read What we expect you have already Done
Search Engines know a lot, and
"If God had wanted computers to work all the time, He wouldn't have invented RESET buttons"
and
Just say NO to help vampires!