Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

How to get to know Linux and go away from windows.

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
tdave

Re: How to get to know Linux and go away from windows.

#21 Post by tdave »

the whole argument is not worth the time. whether windows or linux is better depends on the person asking it. windows has allways been a point and click system while linux will never be. The poeple who program it don't think like that.So it depends on why you want to switch. if asked you you will find many different answers from that question. everything from windows is to expensive for me to I just want more control over the system. I know one person who started using linux because he believed the government was spying on him through windows 98. he got so good at linux he contracts with the the state of ny as a security expert. I would say the answer to that would be personallity more then anything else. If you like tinkering with the system and have the patience to learn linux maybe the right choice but if you just want a system that installs and works go with windows. also keep in mind that with windows a command for windows 7 will work in all windows 7. I have have not found that to be true with linux. even when in debian I have found that an answer post as being the fix in debian might not work for me on my debian installed os. many commands I have to play around with to get to work. Also linux people take that do your research first before asking to far. there has been plenty times that i have searched for an answer to a problem for days just to be told I need to do my research when i ask about it. also they don't take in the fact that a lot of the instruction out there leave out a step. or is just plain wrong running across that a lot right now.. but sometimes I will ask a question and someone will point out why he think I should not do or not do it that way and everyone tells me thats the answer.but linux started out advertising itself as the system you could roll your own. your way. So as long as I am willing to take the chance, I feel I should get the answer I need to do it. After all I have debian linux on my hard drive to learn how to build my own system that does things they way I want it to.. :D

arochester
Emeritus
Emeritus

#22 Post by arochester »

windows has allways been a point and click system while linux will never be.
Book from 2004 Image

Bulkley

#23 Post by Bulkley »

windows has allways been a point and click system

Starting with Windows 95 it has. Prior to that Windows was just a desktop running on MS Dos. I switched to Linux partly because Windows 95 was not backwards compatible with the software I had previously paid for.

cuckooflew

#24 Post by cuckooflew »

Good book, thanks
but sometimes I will ask a question and someone will point out why he think I should not do or not do it that way and everyone tells me thats the answer
Kind of hard to make sense, or follow this logic, But if you have no intention of follow the advice given, and "do it that way", then maybe no reason to ask to start with.Maybe I am misunderstand what is being said here.
More so :
the whole argument is not worth the time.
What arguement ? The topic title says
How to get to know Linux and go away from windows.
It is not a "which is better" topic,..seems like you might be trying to make it something to argue about , ?
by tdave »If you like tinkering with the system and have the patience to learn linux maybe the right choice but if you just want a system that installs and works go with windows
Every Linux use is different, and many of us use it as a serious, reliable system, no tinkering, in fact it is the "tinkering" that usually leads to disaster, and tinkering is something to be done in a bathroom, once you are potty trained you will understand.
Yes a certain amount of configuration is needed after a install, every user has different configurations they want to use, the base install does usually "just work", if and when the person has followed install instructions, checked that their hardware is supported, etc.
MS windows does not work, at least for me, when I first tried it, and it still did not work when I tried it again years later , and it does not work now, not in my opinion any way, when I got this PC I am using, it had windows 7 on it, I knew I would be removing the MS malware, but any way I decided to take a look at it,...what a joke, it was pathetic. This was in the shop where I bought it, checking to see if I really wanted to buy the PC, first, it took close to 10 minuets to boot , there was no terminal, or CLI prompt, and everything I clicked took forever to load, any way, the shop owner showed me how to get the command line, I checked some things there, and we shut it down, rebooted actuall, but this time only to the bios, I look that over to make sure it supported USB boot, how much ram, disk size, etc,..Decided it probably would work ,..but just to be sure, I asked the shop owner to let me boot with a custom Live CD, I had, (Debian 6), he was ok with that, and was very impressed, he had heard of linux , but really never seen it or used it. The machine booted quickly, and in about 2 minuets, or less, I had a window manager (fluxbox), xterm started automatically, but also there was my task bar, with some programs I use the most (tint2), I started the browser, it connected quickly, opened several tabs, and still was responding quick and "snappy", like a browser should. Opened a editor, and the file manager,...every thing was fast , .not at all like the Malware that was installed on it, MS windows. So any way, I knew the computer would work fine, once I got rid of the malware, so I bought it. The price was cheap, since it did not really work well with MS windows on it, the shop owner had lowered the price, $50.00.
The first time I tried windows , was back when it needed Dos to run, it was not really even a OS, it was just software,...but really did not work either,..So any way, I asked around on USENET, and some one told me about Linux, it was new, but every one was really impressed, since I all ready was using Unix, and Linux was intended to be like Unix, and it is , sort of. Any way, it was Jim Hall that mentioned Linux to me, he all ready had been using it for awhile, and also was working on Free Dos at that time, so I decided to give it (Linux) a try. I was impressed, and it did "just install" and work,.. unlike the crapware that Bill Gates was working on, (MS windows),... so any way, I disagree :
tdave>If you like tinkering with the system and have the patience to learn linux maybe the right choice but if you just want a system that installs and works go with windows
You seem to have it in reverse,.Windows is the tinker toy, Linux is the OS that installs and works.
But any way, if you are happy with MS windows, use it, and leave us alone.
Also linux people take that do your research first before asking to far.----
This type of statement irritates me to no end, not the research first part, yes most of us do encourage searching first, reading the manual, etc,..I am not sure at what point one would measure that, and define what is "to far",...but the part that irritates me, "linux people", What ? Linux people, implies everyone that uses Linux, and it seems you , tdave, think we are all the same, and we are not, every "linux person", is different, and some do not even think about doing a search before they start asking for help, Others will search, and read some manuals, first and then if they still don't figure it out, ask other linux users, some of us,including me do expect the person to at least make some effort, and try searching first.
tdave> there has been plenty times that i have searched for an answer to a problem for days just to be told I need to do my research when i ask about it. also they don't take in the fact that a lot of the instruction out there leave out a step
There you go again, "they", and not all of us are the same, I know for sure, I am very well aware that sometimes the tutorial or manual leaves something out,...I think most others also realize that, I know that often the happens to me, one tutorial does not mention something, and so the example I use did not work, generally if I look at another tutorial, I find that they do have something mentioned, that the other did not...
And if and when I just could not figure it out, and need to ask... I ask my question, give some details, as much as I can, and then I show, the manual, or tutorial I am reading, and exactly what I did do,...and you know, oddly no ones has ever told me I did not research first, and quite often since I show what I did,..someone spots it right away, and shows me what I missed, also it is not all ways that the tutorial left something out, it is usually something I missed.
Tdave>---the system you could roll your own. your way. So as long as I am willing to take the chance, I feel I should get the answer I need to do it.
You know, this sounds like you seem to think we are obligated to give you a answer, and not just the answer you need, but the one you want.
If you ask me how to do something, I am going to tell you how I would do it, or tell you which tutorial I read to solve the problem, accomplish the task,... Obviously "your way" is not working, or does not work, so that is why you need to ask others, but if you are not willing to do it the way we found that works, that is fine, then don't ask us how to do it, just keep tinkering, and making a mess, doing it "your way".
Back to the topic based on the topic title: How to get to know Linux and go away from windows.
Use it, read the manuals,use the advice given by more experienced users, take notes, keep track of everything you do, you will be able to use those notes years later, when you don't remember.
Going away from Windows, that is easy, just stop using it. If you are required to use it at work, well, you will just have to do what the boss says and use it, or start looking for another job, where they do use Linux.
Please Read What we expect you have already Done
Search Engines know a lot, and
"If God had wanted computers to work all the time, He wouldn't have invented RESET buttons"
and
Just say NO to help vampires!

sickpig

#25 Post by sickpig »

tdave wrote:but if you just want a system that installs and works go with windows
No windows does not work with any device having a non-ssd disk and less than 4GB RAM. Windows 10 minimum requirements say it does but thats a joke. While Linux absolutely flies (not Gnome though), everything else is space age fast compared to windows.
I feel windows machines should come in pairs. One will use the whole machine just to run itself and the other one will be for the user :)