GPU Driver After Video Card Swapout

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!

GPU Driver After Video Card Swapout

Postby JeSuisFlaneur » 2020-09-11 15:32

Stock Debian 10 Buster. Clean install. Former graphics card: Nvidia GT-710. Newer GPU is Nvidia GTX-950. Clean install prior to swapping video cards.

Upon swap of cards, Buster boots without problem. "Nvidia X Server Settings" (app) shows new card as installed.

How can I confirm that the correct driver is installed? I saw no Notices that a new driver was installed. The sound system is acting strange, however. Sound Settings shows sound as muted and no clicking the muted speaker icon unmutes. Sound is produced at output/back of 'puter.
JeSuisFlaneur

Re: GPU Driver After Video Card Swapout

Postby sunrat » 2020-09-11 22:13

JeSuisFlaneur wrote:Stock Debian 10 Buster. Clean install. Former graphics card: Nvidia GT-710. Newer GPU is Nvidia GTX-950. Clean install prior to swapping video cards.

Upon swap of cards, Buster boots without problem. "Nvidia X Server Settings" (app) shows new card as installed.

How can I confirm that the correct driver is installed? I saw no Notices that a new driver was installed.

It will be using the same driver you had before. Nvidia Settings should show the version. Also:
Code: Select all
lspci -k | grep -i -A3 VGA

The sound system is acting strange, however. Sound Settings shows sound as muted and no clicking the muted speaker icon unmutes. Sound is produced at output/back of 'puter.

Check PulseAudio Volume Control. Sometimes it prioritises HDMI audio instead of built-in audio and you may have to switch it back. In pavucontrol Configuration tab, select HDMI audio profile and change it to "Off" if you don't use it. Or vice-versa if you do use it.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!
sunrat

Return to Beginners Questions