Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

X server crashing when browser open

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
kalasklister

X server crashing when browser open

#1 Post by kalasklister »

Hi,

I've been having X server related crashing / freezing on a variety of distros for a few months now. A month ago i was still on Manjaro, then i tried out Fedora and now i'm back to where i started with Debian XFCE simply because i wanted to have the most stable thing i'm aware of. On the previous distros i was getting errors about my NVIDIA drivers, which does not seem to be the problem this time around, having followed the official guide on how to install proprietary drivers.

The persisting problem seems to be browser related. Whenever i have any given browser open for some time, there is a chance that my system freezes/crashes to login. The other distros were doing both freezing and crashing, but Debian has only been crashing to the login screen about twice a day. I have tried Firefox, Chromium, and Falkon. All of them had problems at seemingly random times.

Note: i favor using the terminal over file managers, so those should not be the culprit. Moreover, i am able to play 3D games like 0ad for hours on end without any problems. I also have windows 10 on dual boot and it runs completely fine with no crashing whatsoever.

Today i tried to catch concrete examples of crashing to login and succeeded with two different browsers:
-crash1(Firefox): I was coding some stuff on desktop2 with some API guide open in Firefox on desktop1 (Only plugin installed is NoScript as suggested on stack exchange to make the browser more stable)
-crash2(Chromium): Watching YouTube with hardware acceleration disabled to try to rule out any NVIDIA related issues (No plugins installed at all, Chromium package downloaded from debian stable repo)

On top of these crashes to login screen, i have also managed to get zombie "Web Content" processes on all distros that eat up 100% or processor and preventing my system from shutting down.

Basic specs (can give more if needed):
Ryzen 5 + NVIDIA GTX 1660
NVIDIA driver version: 418.152.00

Looking through the journal for the timing of the Chromium+YouTube crash (10:49) gives the following:

Code: Select all

Aug 22 10:30:49 joakim-main systemd[1]: anacron.service: Succeeded.
Aug 22 10:49:28 joakim-main pulseaudio[2767]: XIO:  fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server ":0.0"
Aug 22 10:49:28 joakim-main pulseaudio[2767]:       after 17 requests (17 known processed) with 0 events remaining.
Aug 22 10:49:28 joakim-main xfce4-notifyd[2989]: xfce4-notifyd: Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server :0.
Aug 22 10:49:28 joakim-main systemd[1101]: xfce4-notifyd.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
Aug 22 10:49:28 joakim-main systemd[1101]: xfce4-notifyd.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
Aug 22 10:49:28 joakim-main at-spi-bus-launcher[1220]: XIO:  fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server ":0"
Aug 22 10:49:28 joakim-main at-spi-bus-launcher[1220]:       after 3275 requests (3275 known processed) with 0 events remaining.
Aug 22 10:49:28 joakim-main sudo[4195]: pam_unix(sudo:session): session closed for user root
Aug 22 10:49:28 joakim-main polkitd(authority=local)[674]: Unregistered Authentication Agent for unix-session:8 (system bus name :1.77
Aug 22 10:49:28 joakim-main lightdm[2825]: pam_unix(lightdm:session): session closed for user joakim
Aug 22 10:49:28 joakim-main systemd[1101]: pulseaudio.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
Aug 22 10:49:28 joakim-main systemd[1101]: pulseaudio.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
Aug 22 10:49:28 joakim-main systemd-logind[645]: Session 8 logged out. Waiting for processes to exit.
Aug 22 10:49:28 joakim-main systemd[1101]: pulseaudio.service: Service RestartSec=100ms expired, scheduling restart.
Aug 22 10:49:28 joakim-main systemd[1101]: pulseaudio.service: Scheduled restart job, restart counter is at 2.
Aug 22 10:49:28 joakim-main systemd[1101]: Stopped Sound Service.
Aug 22 10:49:28 joakim-main systemd[1101]: Starting Sound Service...
Aug 22 10:49:28 joakim-main rtkit-daemon[1350]: Successfully made thread 5691 of process 5691 (n/a) owned by '1000' high priority at n
Aug 22 10:49:28 joakim-main rtkit-daemon[1350]: Supervising 1 threads of 1 processes of 1 users.
Aug 22 10:49:28 joakim-main pulseaudio[5691]: W: [pulseaudio] pid.c: Stale PID file, overwriting.
Aug 22 10:49:29 joakim-main kernel: snd_hda_codec_hdmi hdaudioC0D0: HDMI: invalid ELD data byte 47
Aug 22 10:49:29 joakim-main lightdm[5698]: Error getting user list from org.freedesktop.Accounts: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Err
Aug 22 10:49:29 joakim-main lightdm[5698]: pam_unix(lightdm-greeter:session): session opened for user lightdm by (uid=0)
Aug 22 10:49:29 joakim-main systemd[1]: Created slice User Slice of UID 115.
Aug 22 10:49:29 joakim-main systemd[1]: Starting User Runtime Directory /run/user/115...
Aug 22 10:49:29 joakim-main systemd-logind[645]: New session c6 of user lightdm.
Aug 22 10:49:29 joakim-main systemd[1]: Started User Runtime Directory /run/user/115.
Aug 22 10:49:29 joakim-main systemd[1]: Starting User Manager for UID 115...
Aug 22 10:49:29 joakim-main systemd[5702]: pam_unix(systemd-user:session): session opened for user lightdm by (uid=0)
Running journalctl with p=1-3 gives nothing. Only at p=4 does something pop up.

Can anyone point me in a direction of things to try or where to look? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Head_on_a_Stick

Re: X server crashing when browser open

#2 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

kalasklister wrote:having followed the official guide on how to install proprietary drivers
There is no "official" guide for the proprietary drivers because the proprietary drivers are not part of the official Debian release. There is a guide on the Debian wiki but it is not 100% correct.
kalasklister wrote:Ryzen 5
That's a bit vague, which generation of Ryzen 5 is it? Have you installed the CPU µcode package?
kalasklister wrote:NVIDIA GTX 1660
NVIDIA driver version: 418.152.00
That device is supported by the 440 drivers in the buster-backports repositories, have you tried those? Have you tried the nouveau drivers?
kalasklister wrote:Looking through the journal
That snippet doesn't seem to show anything relevant, have you checked the rest of the journal and ~/.xsession-errors?
deadbang

kalasklister

#3 Post by kalasklister »

Thank you for the suggestions!

I have installed the buster-backports driver 440.100. Will test it out for some time and see if that is enough to fix my problems. I could try Noveau but i have had issues with setting my screen refresh rate over 60hz with those and i would not like to make that compromise. Using the latest proprietary may also give me a chance to completely ditch Windows in the future. Sadly that is not happening with the current games my friends are playing.

The processor is Ryzen 5 3600. I also installed the backports amd64-microcode.

I'm not a total linux newbie but i could still use some education on what logs you generally should include when posting on forums. I just thought that when journalctl p1-3 is empty that its pretty hard to find the reason for the crashes. ~/.xsession-errors was new to me. Isn't that still just a subset of what is in the journal? AFAIK systemd should gather pretty much everything in there, no? Anyways, i will make sure to include it if i keep having the same issues! Seems like a no-brainer if i have X server issues...

Head_on_a_Stick

#4 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

kalasklister wrote:The processor is Ryzen 5 3600. I also installed the backports amd64-microcode.
Try the backported kernel (metapackage) also, the jury's out on whether the stock buster kernel is sufficiently new for third generation Ryzen.
kalasklister wrote:~/.xsession-errors was new to me. Isn't that still just a subset of what is in the journal?
I think it stores some messages that aren't recorded in the journal.
deadbang

kalasklister

#5 Post by kalasklister »

For anyone with similar issues i can sadly say that i could not find a way to get my system working with Debian and i could not find the reason why. I tried the newer backports cpu microcode and gpu drivers but all they did was to re-introduce the freezing that i had on Mint XFCE, Manjaro XFCE and Fedora KDE Plasma. My journalctl also started to show all sorts of errors that were similar to what i had before on those distros.

To solve the problem i tried thinking out of the box and went for another DE and distro completely. I installed Ubuntu with the default GNOME and i have not have any kind of problems at all despite extensive use. I did flash my Motherboard with firmware no older than a few weeks before installing but i do not think that was the reason it started working.

My hunch is that the problem was NVIDIA related and that it was fixed by using the "sudo ubuntu-drivers autoinstall" command, which installed a whole bunch of packages on top of the 440.100 driver. I could see that e.g. the Vulkan drivers and all sorts of stuff got installed when i ran it and since then i have not encountered any kind of Xserver crashes.

If i were to try Debian again i would probably check the following on my system:
1. Make sure that motherboard has latest firmware
2. Try the first installation with the default repo drivers
3. If issues, i would look for an up to date guide on what cpu/gpu packages to install from backports to have a working system (Maybe look into what packages the ubuntu-autoinstall installs and which versions for a lead)

All of the above is of course conjecture. If anyone on the forums uses a Ryzen/Nvidia combo without issues on Debian XFCE, a detailed installation instruction would be greatly appreciated!

D2b2426R5d

#6 Post by D2b2426R5d »

Just to clarify, package amd64-microcode doesn't exist in buster-backports. You can either have buster/non-free or sid/non-free.
I just updated to version 3.20191218.1 (sid) from old 3.20181128.1 (buster).
I am experiencing freezes (1-2 times per week, computer is on 16 hours per day). I also have Nvidia card with proprietary drivers, Ryzen 5 1600, updated kernel to 5.7.10-1~bpo10+1. Will see if I can get rid of those freezes. :cry: