Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Kernel panics, need help interpreting

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
Potatoshaped

Kernel panics, need help interpreting

#1 Post by Potatoshaped »

Hi all,

I have a headless instance of Debian Stable 10 (Buster) that crashes every few days. There are running 12 docker containers on it, and apart from that 1 Java Spring Boot application. The only other things I installed natively are certbot and some tools like iotop and such. So when I do a

Code: Select all

apt update
, usually there is nothing to update.

The previous time it crashed, I had a monitor attached and I could see a screen with a trace, to be found here: https://diederickdevries.net/goodies/20 ... 083956.jpg

Since it mentioned apic, I added 'noapic' to the grub boot line, but today it crashed again: https://diederickdevries.net/goodies/20 ... 45_HDR.jpg

The machine has the following hardware specs:

Gigabyte B450 I Aorus Pro Wifi (Mini-ITX) motherboard
AMD Ryzen 5 3600X CPU
Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB DDR4 DIMM 2666 MHz (1x8GB)
MSI GeForce GT 710 2GB GPU (only because the CPU has no video)
Cooler Master MWE Gold 650 Full Modular PSU

Any help in interpreting these traces would be greatly appreciated.

Head_on_a_Stick

Re: Kernel panics, need help interpreting

#2 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Try the kernel from the buster-backports repository (http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=139003), third-generation Ryzen support is borderline with the stock version.

EDIT: and be sure to install the amd64-microcode package. It might even be worth downloading and installing the .deb package from sid, that has some extra fixes (but don't add the sid repositories, they will break your box).
deadbang

Potatoshaped

#3 Post by Potatoshaped »

Thanks a lot!

I really hope it works, but since these crashes only appear once every few days, I'll have to see. I installed the .deb using dkpg but why would the sid repo crash my system? Is it not considered stable?

Is there a way to find these kernel problems with newer CPUs in the logs before the machine crashes?

Head_on_a_Stick

#4 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Potatoshaped wrote:why would the sid repo crash my system? Is it not considered stable?
Well sid is also known as unstable but that is a reference to the rate of change of the package versions rather than reliability (or lack thereof), contrary to popular misconception. However that package version flux means that new bugs may be introduced and also that mass package transitions may occur that will render some package uninstallable and some packages just plain broken for a time. If you add the sid repositories to your stable system then the package manager will preferentially install stuff from sid and also update your existing packages because the versions in sid are newer: https://wiki.debian.org/DontBreakDebian ... nkenDebian
Potatoshaped wrote:Is there a way to find these kernel problems with newer CPUs in the logs before the machine crashes?
No idea, sorry.
deadbang

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#5 Post by sunrat »

Potatoshaped wrote:Is there a way to find these kernel problems with newer CPUs in the logs before the machine crashes?
Set up system journal and you will get logs you can read with journalctl. Just need to create /var/log/journal/ (as root) to enable it IIRC.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

Potatoshaped

#6 Post by Potatoshaped »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:Well sid is also known as unstable but that is a reference to the rate of change of the package versions rather than reliability (or lack thereof), contrary to popular misconception. However that package version flux means that new bugs may be introduced and also that mass package transitions may occur that will render some package uninstallable and some packages just plain broken for a time. If you add the sid repositories to your stable system then the package manager will preferentially install stuff from sid and also update your existing packages because the versions in sid are newer: https://wiki.debian.org/DontBreakDebian ... nkenDebian
Fair enough.