Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[SOLVED] Solarized notifications, unable to reset theme

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
bissim

#1 Post by bissim »

Hello,
in a desperate attempt to apply Solarized theme to my terminal, several months ago I edited some system files (which ones, unfortunately, I do not recall).
Now, my notifications appear with an ugly terminal-style Solarized theme and I cannot restore them from their settings menu.
Could you address me to the files I may have changed in order to revert that damned edit or to some other solution to my problem?
Thank you.
Last edited by bissim on 2020-09-29 13:24, edited 1 time in total.

stevepusser

Re: Solarized notifications, unable to reset theme

#2 Post by stevepusser »

I doubt it, especially when you don't even let us know what terminal program you were trying to change!
MX Linux packager and developer

bissim

#3 Post by bissim »

stevepusser wrote:I doubt it, especially when you don't even let us know what terminal program you were trying to change!
Hello, I was trying to apply a style to XFCE Terminal,; however, during the process, I changed by mistake notification style without using the Notifications option in Debian Settings.

stevepusser

#4 Post by stevepusser »

Did you mean the xfce settings program instead of "Debian Settings"?

XFCE terminal settings are usually in your home folder in a hidden .config folder in a .config/xfce4/terminal/terminalrc file.

bissim

#5 Post by bissim »

stevepusser wrote:Did you mean the xfce settings program instead of "Debian Settings"?

XFCE terminal settings are usually in your home folder in a hidden .config folder in a .config/xfce4/terminal/terminalrc file.
Well, I changed something else that affected notifications layout too, which I cannot reset from Debian settings.

sickpig

#6 Post by sickpig »

check your notification daemon's config files and/or your theme.

bissim

#7 Post by bissim »

sickpig wrote:check your notification daemon's config files and/or your theme.
Hello, thank you for your answer.
Where do I find those files?

sickpig

#8 Post by sickpig »

Code: Select all

dpkg -L xfce4-notifyd
for the list of all the files relating to xfce4-notifyd (the notification daemon). You can see which one(s) are config files. I do not use that so not sure.
Themes are in ~/.themes and you can change using appearance of xfce4-settings. Or manually edit the appropriate files
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GTK#Themes

bissim

#9 Post by bissim »

Since I had absolutely no idea of which of listed files could be responsible for improper notification theming and after some searches, I ended up running the following command:

sudo apt remove notification-daemon dunst xfce4-notifyd --purge && sudo apt autoremove && sudo apt install notification-daemon xfce4-notifyd && sudo apt remove notify-osd --purge
At last, the problem was solved, though in an ugly way; however, in the process, a lot of other packages (mainly XFCE plugins) were removed. :(
Is there any way I can check terminal output from previous sessions or some other log about uninstalled packages?

Edit: ok, I found the

/var/log/apt/history.log
file reporting all the packages removed by autoremove.

sickpig

Re: [SOLVED] Solarized notifications, unable to reset theme

#10 Post by sickpig »

For future reference, if you are tempted to fire random commands off of the internet without fully understanding their ramifications then do that in a vm or a chroot first to avoid grief.

bissim

#11 Post by bissim »

sickpig wrote:For future reference, if you are tempted to fire random commands off of the internet without fully understanding their ramifications then do that in a vm or a chroot first to avoid grief.
Actually I didn't expect that, uninstalling XFCE notification plugin, a bunch of other plugins would come off.
Nonetheless, I was careless when I rebooted without taking prior note of removed packages, this I must admit.

stevepusser

#12 Post by stevepusser »

How is this solved at all?

All XFCE settings are in that same folder I pointed you toward above. Why didn't you explore it? If you couldn't find a file related to the xfce notications or that rang a bell, other XFCE settings can be addressed via the xconf tool.

If I had the same issue and couldn't solve it, I'd go straight to the XFCE forums instead of asking here, though.

sickpig

#13 Post by sickpig »

xfce4-notifyd is a stand alone package decoupled with xfce4 DE. And has its own config gtk utility and a service

/usr/lib/systemd/user/xfce4-notifyd.service
/usr/bin/xfce4-notifyd-config
Changes can be made to it directly and persist independent of xfce4 session manager.
stevepusser wrote:If I had the same issue and couldn't solve it, I'd go straight to the XFCE forums instead of asking here, though.
How is this an xfce issue? By that logic folks should go to xfce forum for thunar mount dismount issues, lightdm forum for display manager issue, gnome forums for gnome issues and so on.

edit - code boxes