Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

nvidia-driver buster-backports can no longer upgrade system

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
MultiplexLayout

nvidia-driver buster-backports can no longer upgrade system

#1 Post by MultiplexLayout »

After I updated my sources (which includes buster-backports) trying to upgrade gives me:

Code: Select all

myusername@mycomputer:~$ aptitude upgrade -s
Resolving dependencies...                
Unable to resolve dependencies for the upgrade: no solution found.
Unable to safely resolve dependencies, try running with --full-resolver.
Running with --full-resolver gives me:

myusername@mycomputer:~$ aptitude upgrade -s --full-resolver
The following packages will be REMOVED:  
  libcuda1-i386:i386{u} libnvidia-fatbinaryloader{u} 
  libnvidia-fatbinaryloader:i386{u} nvidia-driver-libs-i386:i386{u} 
  nvidia-modprobe{u} 
The following packages will be upgraded:
  libcuda1 libcuda1:i386 libegl-nvidia0 libegl-nvidia0:i386 
  libgl1-nvidia-glvnd-glx libgl1-nvidia-glvnd-glx:i386 libgles-nvidia1 
  libgles-nvidia1:i386 libgles-nvidia2 libgles-nvidia2:i386 libglx-nvidia0 
  libglx-nvidia0:i386 libnvcuvid1 libnvidia-cbl libnvidia-cfg1 
  libnvidia-compiler libnvidia-eglcore libnvidia-eglcore:i386 
  libnvidia-glcore libnvidia-glcore:i386 libnvidia-glvkspirv 
  libnvidia-glvkspirv:i386 libnvidia-ml1 libnvidia-ptxjitcompiler1 
  libnvidia-ptxjitcompiler1:i386 libnvidia-rtcore{b} libxnvctrl0 
  nvidia-alternative nvidia-driver nvidia-driver-bin nvidia-driver-libs 
  nvidia-driver-libs:i386 nvidia-egl-common nvidia-egl-icd 
  nvidia-egl-icd:i386 nvidia-kernel-dkms nvidia-kernel-support{b} 
  nvidia-legacy-check nvidia-opencl-common nvidia-opencl-icd 
  nvidia-settings nvidia-smi nvidia-vdpau-driver nvidia-vulkan-common 
  nvidia-vulkan-icd nvidia-vulkan-icd:i386 xserver-xorg-video-nvidia 
47 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 5 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 97.8 MB of archives. After unpacking 19.7 MB will be used.
The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 nvidia-kernel-support : Depends: nvidia-modprobe (>= 450) but it is not going to be installed
 libnvidia-rtcore : Depends: libgcc-s1 (>= 4.2) which is a virtual package and is not provided by any available package

The following actions will resolve these dependencies:

Keep the following packages at their current version:                      
1)     libnvidia-rtcore [440.100-1~bpo10+1 (now)]                               

Upgrade the following packages:                                            
2)     nvidia-modprobe [418.56-1 (now, stable) -> 450.66-1~bpo10+1 (buster-backp

Leave the following dependencies unresolved:                               
3)     nvidia-vulkan-icd recommends libnvidia-rtcore (= 450.66-1~bpo10+1)       

Accept this solution? [Y/n/q/?] q
Abandoning all efforts to resolve these dependencies.
Abort.

It seems libnvidia-rtcore is the main problem. It needs libgcc-s1 but that only exists in sid and bullseye.

Should I wait in case the other library is backported? Should I try to backport it myself or try to upgrade and leave nvidia-vulkan-icd with a broken dependency? This is the first time nvidia-driver has been upgraded since I started using a Linux distro as my daily driver, so I don't know if this is normal.

sgosnell

Re: nvidia-driver buster-backports can no longer upgrade sys

#2 Post by sgosnell »

Are you sure you need the vulkan driver? It appears that removing it would solve the problems. However, I have never had a system with Nvidia components, so my advice is probably worth less than you're paying for it.
Take my advice, I'm not using it.

stevepusser

#3 Post by stevepusser »

It's also an ongoing bug in the Debian subreddit. Hold off with it for now, some packager screwed it up.

FWIW, I didn't have issues backporting it to the MX test repos, so perhaps they built the packages on Bullseye or something, then thought they would be compatible. My MX system right now:

⌁0% steve@msigp63:~ $ optirun inxi -G
Graphics:  Device-1: Intel UHD Graphics 630 driver: i915 v: kernel 
           Device-2: NVIDIA GP107M [GeForce GTX 1050 Ti Mobile] driver: nvidia v: 450.66 
           Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.4 driver: intel resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz 
           OpenGL: renderer: GeForce GTX 1050 Ti/PCIe/SSE2 v: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 450.66 
BTW, that weird prompt is courtesy of liquidprompt, which is in the stock repos.

I am not suggesting you add the MX repos and install it from there. Just wait, it's not that hard to fix in backports.
MX Linux packager and developer

MultiplexLayout

#4 Post by MultiplexLayout »

Guess I'll wait, then. Thanks guys.

MultiplexLayout

#5 Post by MultiplexLayout »

A quick update:
I tried to backport libgcc-s1 myself using the instructions on SimpleBackports. When I get to the dpkg-buildpackage part I get:

dpkg-buildpackage: info: source package gcc-10
dpkg-buildpackage: info: source version 10.2.0-15~bpo10+1
dpkg-buildpackage: info: source distribution buster-backports
dpkg-buildpackage: info: source changed by sdebian <sdebian@debian.debian>
dpkg-buildpackage: info: host architecture amd64
 dpkg-source --before-build .
dpkg-checkbuilddeps: error: Unmet build dependencies: libc6-dev (>= 2.30-1~) lib32gcc-s1 libx32gcc-s1 libzstd-dev systemtap-sdt-dev binutils:native (>= 2.35) binutils-hppa64-linux-gnu:native (>= 2.35) gperf (>= 3.0.1) nvptx-tools llvm-10 lld-10 texinfo (>= 4.3) sharutils gnat-10:native g++-10:native libisl-dev (>= 0.20) libmpc-dev (>= 1.0) libmpfr-dev (>= 3.0.0-9~) libgmp-dev (>= 2:5.0.1~) lib32z1-dev dejagnu chrpath libgc-dev doxygen (>= 1.7.2) texlive-latex-base xsltproc docbook-xsl-ns
dpkg-buildpackage: warning: build dependencies/conflicts unsatisfied; aborting
dpkg-buildpackage: warning: (Use -d flag to override.)
I take it all the packages listed would need to be backported? I guess that explains why it's taking a while. How do I get aptitude to upgrade all upgradable packages except the nvidia packages? I have tried aptitude upgrade '~nvidia{0}' but it doesn't seem to work.

Head_on_a_Stick

#6 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

MultiplexLayout wrote:I take it all the packages listed would need to be backported?
Amongst other things it looks like it needs a newer version of glibc (libc6-dev), which would be a challenge. IIRC the MX Linux developers managed to backport the libc6 package for wheezy (because steam) but I don't think it was easy.
MultiplexLayout wrote:How do I get aptitude to upgrade all upgradable packages except the nvidia packages? I have tried aptitude upgrade '~nvidia{0}' but it doesn't seem to work.

# aptitude hold $package
# aptitude update && aptitude upgrade
Replace $package with the actual name(s) of the package(s) you don't want to upgrade.
deadbang

stevepusser

#7 Post by stevepusser »

Yeah, I did update libc6 way back when for Steam and some other standalone games, but the build did stress the underpowered machine I had at the time. I basically copied the work Steam had already done for the same thing in their SteamOS repo, so I wasn't blazing a trail.

Packages in backports should never require a newer libc6, so something still smells rotten.

Head_on_a_Stick

#8 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

stevepusser wrote:Packages in backports should never require a newer libc6, so something still smells rotten
The OP is trying to backport the packages themselves. I think the versioned dependency is from debhelper so the package might need newer glibc features than are available in buster.
deadbang

stevepusser

#9 Post by stevepusser »

i have already backported 450.66 for the MX repos, and can state that it's fine with both Buster's and Stretch's gcc. The problem is that they're trying to work backwards from the dependencies of the upstream packages, which is not the way backports are done!

Look--my older Acer Optimus laptop I'm using right now:

optirun inxi -G
Graphics:  Device-1: Intel HD Graphics 520 driver: i915 v: kernel 
           Device-2: NVIDIA GM107 [GeForce 940MX] driver: nvidia v: 450.66 
           Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.9 driver: intel resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz 
           OpenGL: renderer: GeForce 940MX/PCIe/SSE2 v: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 450.66 
I'm using the MX AHS repo, which has a newer xorg and Mesa, but I backport the Nvidia drivers in vanilla Debian Buster pbuilds (Stretch backports need some additional backports in the MX repos, but that means nothing to the Buster versions) and they have worked well for all users so far, regardless if they are using the Buster xorg and Mesa in standard MX 19 or the AHS video stack.

If the buster-backports version depend on a newer gcc and libc6, they were not built on a Buster base. That's simple.