Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

SOLVED - Unmount persistence image from Buster live USB

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
kkman007

SOLVED - Unmount persistence image from Buster live USB

#1 Post by kkman007 »

Hi

I am using a persistence image file to store and save system settings such as WIFI for my Debian Buster Live image run from a USB stick. As I want to run the live image in RAM so I could remove the USB once the system boots up, I wanted to write a script to allow the persistence image to be unmounted after the saved settings are loaded.

However there are a number of mounts and I was hoping for some advise as what is the best way to unmount the persistence image after the system has booted up.

Below are the mounts which I think I need to remove, but is there a better way?

/dev/sda3 on /run/live/persistence/sda3 type ext2 (rw,noatime)

/dev/loop1 on /run/live/persistence/loop1 type ext3 (rw,noatime)

/dev/sda3 on /lib/live/mount/persistence/sda3 type ext2 (rw,noatime)

/dev/loop1 on /lib/live/mount/persistence/loop1 type ext3 (rw,noatime)

overlay on /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections type overlay (rw,noatime,lowerdir=/run/live/rootfs/filesystem.squashfs//etc/NetworkManager/system-connections,upperdir=/run/live/persistence/loop1/etc/NetworkManager/system-connections/rw,workdir=/run/live/persistence/loop1/etc/NetworkManager/system-connections/work)

Can I add a suplimentry question. Having unmounted the persistence image, can I remount it later within the running system, without needing a reboot and have it persist changes. Hope that makes sense.

Any advise would be helpful.
Thanks

***************** SOLVED *****************

OK I have looked at how to get a persistent storage detached from a live USB booted into RAM.

I use LXDE Desktop and so pcmanfm is the default destop manager. So to unmount the persistence file I need to disable pcmanfm first.

The solution is to look at /proc/cmdline to see if persistence is used. Take the persistence file name and find its mount point.
Then read the persistence.conf file. For each file either create a direct mount or a union mount depending if the line includes the word union.

Below is the code to unmount the persistence image to safly remove the USB stick

fsType=`findmnt -T /run/live/persistence/$device --output FSTYPE --noheading`
if [ "$fsType" = "fuseblk" ]; then
fsType="ntfs"
fi
sudo mkdir /tmp/hold
pcmanfm --desktop-off --profile LXDE
// For unions we need to copy the contents before we unmount to keep the information
sudo cp /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections/* /tmp/hold/
sudo umount /lib/live/mount/persistence/$loopD
sudo umount /run/live/persistence/$loopD
sudo losetup -d /dev/$loopD
sudo umount /lib/live/mount/persistence/$device
sudo umount /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections
// For normal entries just unmount
sudo umount /home/splashos/Desktop # add here
sudo umount /run/live/persistence/$device # add here
sudo rm /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections/*
sudo cp /tmp/hold/* /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections/
sudo rm -rf /tmp/hold
#sleep 1
setsid pcmanfm --desktop --profile LXDE &
#sleep 1
disown

If we want to reconnect the persistence back
sudo mount -t ext2 -o noatime /dev/sda3 /run/live/persistence/sda3
sudo losetup -fP /run/live/persistence/sda3/area2/usbPersistence
sudo mount -o loop /dev/loop1 /run/live/persistence/loop1
sudo mount -t overlay overlay -o noatime,lowerdir=/run/live/rootfs/filesystem.squashfs/etc/NetworkManager/system-connections,upperdir=/run/live/persistence/loop1/etc/NetworkManager/system-connections/rw,workdir=/run/live/persistence/loop1/etc/NetworkManager/system-connections/work /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections
sudo mount --bind /run/live/persistence/loop1/home/splashos/Desktop/ /home/splashos/Desktop/
sudo mount --bind /run/live/persistence/sda3 /lib/live/mount/persistence/sda3
sudo mount --bind /run/live/persistence/loop1 /lib/live/mount/persistence/loop1
echo
echo Remounted Persistence, press any key to continue
pcmanfm --desktop-off --profile LXDE
sleep 1
setsid pcmanfm --desktop --profile LXDE &