Fluxbox + Wicd + disappearing applet [solved]

Kernels & Hardware, configuring network, installing services

Fluxbox + Wicd + disappearing applet [solved]

Postby tpprynn » 2020-10-01 15:28

Hello. I've just used the netinstall iso of Debian 10 to make a Fluxbox-fronted system with minimal and light applications. I've used Wicd instead of Network Manager, and though it is working very well I would like its taskbar applet to appear consistently on the taskbar - it does if wicd-gtk is started manually now, though it didn't when first installed (?) The applet remains when wicd-gtk is closed but at present isn't otherwise appearing. Wicd is already starting automatically at boot, with wifi connecting almost straight away, so the Debian Wiki didn't yield the right information, seeming to talk in terms of everything being manually set; the Archwiki shows the phrase wicd-client --tray which feels as if it's what I need, somewhere?

Thanks for any input.
Last edited by tpprynn on 2020-10-02 08:13, edited 1 time in total.
tpprynn

Re: Fluxbox + Wicd + disappearing applet

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » 2020-10-01 17:39

Black Lives Matter

Debian buster-backports ISO image: for new hardware support
Head_on_a_Stick

Postby tpprynn » 2020-10-02 05:07

Thanks. If I create an .xsessionrc file or place 'wicd-client --tray &' in the Fluxbox startup file, can you confirm that this won't entail wicd effectively being started twice, that this command pertains to only the applet?

I use the Slim login manager, if it's relevant. I see that some are 'hardcore' enough to deal more in commands and terminal work than myself, though I've made a break to an extent from relying on live CDs and the ready made OS, but I don't yet understand if these configuration files and suchlike are bypassed by login managers.
tpprynn

Postby tpprynn » 2020-10-02 08:13

I understand now that what runs in the tray and what has been started so far on my setup are separate, therefore that as I now have it 'wicd-client --tray &' added to Fluxbox's startup file has resolved this without need to pursue the .xsession route.
tpprynn

Return to System configuration