Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Iptables/NFtables not working on cloud kernel?

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
Doug86

Iptables/NFtables not working on cloud kernel?

#1 Post by Doug86 »

Hi Everyone,

First time poster, long time lurker. Love this place!

I'm having an issue with a VPS Buster install, which I believe was previously updated from Stretch.

I noticed that fail2ban had stopped working at some point and decided to look at the Iptables for clues

Code: Select all

# iptables -L
iptables/1.8.2 Failed to initialize nft: Protocol not supported
I'm aware of the switch to nftables in buster so tried rolling back with

# update-alternatives --set iptables /usr/sbin/iptables-legacy
# update-alternatives --set ip6tables /usr/sbin/ip6tables-legacy
# update-alternatives --set arptables /usr/sbin/arptables-legacy
# update-alternatives --set ebtables /usr/sbin/ebtables-legacy
but then I get

# iptables -nvL
modprobe: ERROR: ../libkmod/libkmod.c:586 kmod_search_moddep() could not open moddep file '/lib/modules/4.19.0-5-cloud-amd64/modules.dep.bin'
modprobe: FATAL: Module ip_tables not found in directory /lib/modules/4.19.0-5-cloud-amd64
iptables v1.6.0: can't initialize iptables table `filter': Table does not exist (do you need to insmod?)
Perhaps iptables or your kernel needs to be upgraded.
So I tried updating everything I could, purging iptables and nftables and reinstalling without luck.

I've seen similar reports with kernels that don't have the right modules, is it possible that the cloud kernel doesn't support a firewall? Sounds unlikely. How would I check and how can I get fail2ban working again?

# uname -a
Linux {hostname} 4.19.0-5-cloud-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.19.37-5+deb10u1 (2019-07-19) x86_64 GNU/Linux
Thanks in advance!