Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

How can we pre-Amplify sound in Smplayer?

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
bester69

How can we pre-Amplify sound in Smplayer?

#1 Post by bester69 »

Hi,

How can we pre-amplify sound with smplayer in the same way we do with kodi.. pavucotrol doesnt help, only increase a 10-15% and seems to saturate sound.. :?

thanks.
bester69 wrote:STOP 2030 globalists demons, keep the fight for humanity freedom against NWO...

stevepusser

Re: How can we pre-Amplify sound in Smplayer?

#2 Post by stevepusser »

In the General Settings--Audio tab, turn on software volume control and increase the maximum amplification to 11. (That's a Spinal Tap reference--I actually have mine at 500% for those occasional videos with low low volumes.) QMPlay2 has a similar type of setting, too.
MX Linux packager and developer

bester69

#3 Post by bester69 »

stevepusser wrote:In the General Settings--Audio tab, turn on software volume control and increase the maximum amplification to 11. (That's a Spinal Tap reference--I actually have mine at 500% for those occasional videos with low low volumes.) QMPlay2 has a similar type of setting, too.
Hi Steve, thanks for help

That setting thought help you to increase the sound, doesnt deal with saturation...its very annoyng when you need to increase it a lot... that doesn happend with kodi, you can increase whatever you wish and sound keeps sounding crystal and clean., i think you could use equalization smplayer plugin levels to maximun as a preamplifier solution but it only rise around 15% the in sound with flat levels to maximum.

I think what I need is to install some existing pulseaudio preamplifier or something like that... :roll: what do you think?
bester69 wrote:STOP 2030 globalists demons, keep the fight for humanity freedom against NWO...

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Post by sunrat »

Did you try the volume normalization?
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

bester69

#5 Post by bester69 »

sunrat wrote:Did you try the volume normalization?
Yes I tried right now, that didnt changed it, It just sounds horrible, like with some harmonics badwidth filtered/truncaded or with some noise, not sure..it sounds pretty bad in comparison with kodi, when playing same video amplified.
Kodi seems to resample level amplified in a more intelligent way, perhapts it applies some more proffesional and denoising filtering in the preAmp... Dont know what is different between both of them.

In my smplayer sounds decent until 150 of preamp, then saturation happens clearly

stevepusser

#6 Post by stevepusser »

pasystray will allow you to increase volume without limit, but you'll no doubt also get the distortion.

Maybe pulseffects. If that's no good, ask on the SMPlayer forums. The app does allow you to pass custom settings to mpv.

bester69

#7 Post by bester69 »

stevepusser wrote:pasystray will allow you to increase volume without limit, but you'll no doubt also get the distortion.

Maybe pulseffects. If that's no good, ask on the SMPlayer forums. The app does allow you to pass custom settings to mpv.
pulseffects is wonderfull, it sounds same good and loud as kodi, so I guess both of them use hardware equalization , two problems about pulseffects, it takes so long to create the brigde connection (around 1 minit ) and seems to eat too much cpu for a lowspec system... its a pitty smplayer doesnt bring onboard a hardware equalizier like kodi seems to do.

Auto Gain filter sounds Amazing but eat more cpu than Loudness Compensator filters.

thanks Steve, im gonna try pasystray

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#8 Post by sunrat »

bester69 wrote: pulseffects is wonderfull, it sounds same good and loud as kodi, so I guess both of them use hardware equalization , two problems about pulseffects, it takes so long to create the brigde connection (around 1 minit ) and seems to eat too much cpu for a lowspec system...
It's software, hardware equalisation is not possible. And yes, PulseEffects is heavy on resources.
What are you playing this through? Why can't you just turn your audio system up? If it's headphones, there are some fairly inexpensive headphone amplifiers available.
Those who have lost data
Remember to BACKUP!

bester69

#9 Post by bester69 »

sunrat wrote:
bester69 wrote: pulseffects is wonderfull, it sounds same good and loud as kodi, so I guess both of them use hardware equalization , two problems about pulseffects, it takes so long to create the brigde connection (around 1 minit ) and seems to eat too much cpu for a lowspec system...
It's software, hardware equalisation is not possible. And yes, PulseEffects is heavy on resources.
What are you playing this through? Why can't you just turn your audio system up? If it's headphones, there are some fairly inexpensive headphone amplifiers available.
I know its not hardware..I meant it does not use directly pulse, it creates some kinf of sound bridge or JACK or whatever its named to bypass pulse and use soundcard directly or something similar i guess.. kodi must use some speciall library for doing something similar.. if werent like that, how come is smplayer and others video players cant amplify sound proprtly such as kodi and this software does... anyways whatever its going on.. i was upset cos smplayer werent able to amplify sound such as kodi does..or pulseffect gets done..
yes, im using always headphones..Im gonna check pasystray to see if it does the same without being heavy on resources.

Very interesting pulseffects, I was doing some tests.. and you can record voice with denoisyin or echo cancellation and other amazing filters...You could also use it to change your voice as you talk with something ..And I saw it can play Alsa and Pulse at the same time.. which resolve a problem I had with wine, that used alsa and wasnt able to use pulse... gonna see now, if im able to play wine's game (alsa)and listening to music at the same time (pulse).. :o

thanks

bester69

#10 Post by bester69 »

stevepusser wrote:pasystray will allow you to increase volume without limit, but you'll no doubt also get the distortion.

Steve, do you have this app ported to debian stretch??

Ive got this ubuntu0s deb working vbery well and starts up very fast..so its very usefull to increase sound in smplayer :o

Ubuntu 17.04 ( 64 bit)
https://linoxide.com/tools/install-equa ... cts-linux/
$ wget https://launchpad.net/~yunnxx/+archive/ ... _amd64.deb
$ dpkg -i pulseeffects_1.312entornosgnulinuzesty-1ubuntu1_amd64.deb

sgosnell

#11 Post by sgosnell »

You should be able to just increase the volume on your amplifier/speakers, whatever you're using to take the output line-level from your computer. That's what amplifiers are for. Computer speakers have an amp built in, which may or may not be of high quality (probably not).
Take my advice, I'm not using it.

stevepusser

#12 Post by stevepusser »

bester69 wrote:

Steve, do you have this app ported to debian stretch??

Ive got this ubuntu0s deb working vbery well and starts up very fast..so its very usefull to increase sound in smplayer :o

Ubuntu 17.04 ( 64 bit)
https://linoxide.com/tools/install-equa ... cts-linux/
$ wget https://launchpad.net/~yunnxx/+archive/ ... _amd64.deb
$ dpkg -i pulseeffects_1.312entornosgnulinuzesty-1ubuntu1_amd64.deb
No stretch packages--gstreamer is a little too old for it, and gstreamer backports broke a lot of other packages.

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#13 Post by sunrat »

Another thing just occurred to me - what impedance are the headphones you are using? A lot of built-in headphone outlets have weak amplifiers which are only barely able to adequately drive very low impedance phones like 35 ohms or so. If you have say, 200 ohm phones, they will be sadly very low level.
I mentioned earlier you can get basic USB headphone amplifiers for little cost.
Those who have lost data
Remember to BACKUP!

bester69

#14 Post by bester69 »

sunrat wrote:Another thing just occurred to me - what impedance are the headphones you are using? A lot of built-in headphone outlets have weak amplifiers which are only barely able to adequately drive very low impedance phones like 35 ohms or so. If you have say, 200 ohm phones, they will be sadly very low level.
I mentioned earlier you can get basic USB headphone amplifiers for little cost.
They're regular very cheap headphones, but with pulseeffects or kodi preamplifiers, it sounds very strong and clear, even hurt my ears at the minimum DB's aplify.. so, its clearly not about the headphones, which doesnt imply with a better quality headphones would be able to sound much louder., I think pavucontrol, should bringht with some kind of pulseeffects embeded with a basic quality equalization and others good funcitons such as Input gain (db)/ makeup (db).. it raise the sounds pretty much without reaching saturation..

bester69

#15 Post by bester69 »

stevepusser wrote: ...
No stretch packages--gstreamer is a little too old for it, and gstreamer backports broke a lot of other packages.
ok, mate, thanks for all..
At the moment, i wil use that ubuntu's compatible package.. dont think to affect the stability, its a very small package and doesnt seem to overwrite anything..after some days, if doesnt feel any strange change in system beahvior i will pass it to stable snapshot consolidation... Its the process I follow to keep stable my frankie debian..also try not to install anything doesnt belong to main repositories..So when there is not in debian I try to go for snaps or flatpaks...but this case, flatpaks' pulseeffect was very heavy and slow to start up.

bester69

#16 Post by bester69 »

Hi,

I saw VLC has same features in equalizer than pulseeffects, so I wouldnt need to use pulseeffects and could use VLC for low audio videos

Here, you can see, Its exactly same option for VLC than for pulseeffects: Compressor= > MakeUp (DB)

Such a pitty smplayer doesnt have it... :?