Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

The only answer you need...

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
Head_on_a_Stick

Re: The only answer you need...

#21 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

LE_746F6D617A7A69 wrote:Perfect SMP scaling means the lowest possible energy/shortest time needed to perform an SMP tasks
I spend my entire working day burning fossil fuel so I couldn't care less about energy usage and I would rather that the code be correct than fast. I use OpenBSD for internet banking :)
sickpig wrote:GNU Guix can be an option as it uses libre kernel which I believe does not include proprietary bits in it.
Debian's kernel is already de-blobbed, no need for the "libre" version (which will refuse to load the firmware that your wireless card almost certainly needs).
deadbang

sickpig

#22 Post by sickpig »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:I use OpenBSD for internet banking
I thought about trying *BSDs but as of now am heavily invested in systemd. May be some other time.

LE_746F6D617A7A69

#23 Post by LE_746F6D617A7A69 »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:I spend my entire working day burning fossil fuel so I couldn't care less about energy usage (...)
:lol:
That's a "strange" argument, and I suppose that Greenpeace people wouldn't be very happy reading this ... :mrgreen:
Bill Gates: "(...) In my case, I went to the garbage cans at the Computer Science Center and I fished out listings of their operating system."
The_full_story and Nothing_have_changed

pylkko

#24 Post by pylkko »

To what extent energy efficiency is relevant may depend on the background where the issue emerges quite a lot. Electricity is really cheap, well at least we can probably say that when you are paying like 10-20 euro cent for a kilowatt hour (this is what I presume the price to be in the western world although it does vary), then such changes in energy efficiency will mean monetary savings of maybe less than one cent in a year or something. But, of course, if we are running on a battery it might have more tangible real life effects. Not to mention planetary ecological effects when millions of machines are running it.

We have had multiple threads over the years on here about alternatives to linux for installing on home computers. Unfortunately, in my experience, it always turns out that the other alternatives are quite lacking, nearly always have poorer performance and very patchy hardware support. I installed Haiku on an old 32-bit laptop (x86) at work last year. Of course the network card didn't work, but other than that all else did. Probably has a bunch of other missing features that I didn't notice yet.

Deb-fan

#25 Post by Deb-fan »

Some interesting stuff guys ... cool thoughts.

Not meant as any kind of holier + thou thing but the degree of wastage I see in so many things, every single dy kind of sickens me a bit. It's everywhere, all things, at all times and is really sad and imo very stupid. If you have one thoughtless, selfish person, okay, still not good but okay. Add up BILLIONS of such people, conducting themselves in such a way dy in, dy out, the negative impact it has combined is horrid. When there's not a fish left in the sea or a leaf on a gdamn tree yanno ? There certainly are good people trying to make efforts and counter-act the damage done too.

Feel like I'm ragging on Head_on and I'm not, the guy is clearly a highly intelligent person and very competent techie. Still an observation, if the code is correct that should mean it's also very fast and efficient. My thoughts on BSD's and other such OS options. Just due to basic facts, number of users, code contributors, more and more interest in official support from OEM's and others, none of them will ever hold a candle to Nix. The only people who care about those outskirt OS's are the 10,000 or whatever real-life small number of people world-wide who use them. Not saying they're wrong either, clearly they're not, it's their right n choice but realistically they'll never touch Nix. That's just the bottom-line, painfully obvious fact in my view anyway.

Nothing wrong with the I prefer using xyz-BSD because it makes me feel better and I have xyz-reasons to believe it's fundamentally more secure etc. Gotta say imo, that's paranoid nonsense, while no doubt a factual basis to that in ways. I kind of get what Head_on means when talking about cleaner code, virtue of a lesser code base etc and do actually agree and appreciate the outlook for real. Getting back to sec, sec, blahblah, people do financial and other likewise sensitive transactions by the 10's of millions every single dy using lesser OS's aka: Windows and do so w/o major issues resulting overwhelming majority of time. An OS, ANY OS, is mostly only as good as the person using it, makes it. Plenty of BSD'ers have no doubt gotten Pawnd too ...

Arghhh shutting it, no offense was meant to anybody, only making comments in a Debian/tech forum fellas. Had too much coffee, not enough sleep again. :)
Most powerful FREE tech-support tool on the planet * HERE. *

Head_on_a_Stick

#26 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

LE_746F6D617A7A69 wrote:Hurd is not an option as for now
Interesting blog post from one of the Hurd developers about replacing Mach with seL4: https://nalaginrut.com/archives/2019/12 ... 20thoughts

As with any microkernel hardware support is left to user space so all it needs is for somebody to write the software :-)
pylkko wrote:To what extent energy efficiency is relevant may depend on the background where the issue emerges quite a lot
^ This.

In my country (the UK) there is at least one energy company that only sources from carbon-zero renewable supplies so energy usage becomes purely a matter of financial cost.
deadbang

LE_746F6D617A7A69

#27 Post by LE_746F6D617A7A69 »

pylkko wrote:Not to mention planetary ecological effects when millions of machines are running it.
Not millions (10^6), but billions (10^9). Assuming that each machine wastes only 1 Watt per hour due to running poorly optimized programs (which is a very optimistic assumption) gives few Giga Watts per hour globally - every single hour.

But on the other hand, I suppose that much more energy is wasted by spying and data collecting software installed by Google, Apple, Microshit, Shitsung, LG, SONY, Huawei, etc. on that billions of devices.
Few tens of millions of devices running Free and Open GNU/Linux distros won't save the world...
Head_on_a_Stick wrote:In my country (the UK) there is at least one energy company that only sources from carbon-zero renewable supplies so energy usage becomes purely a matter of financial cost.
The problem is that 99% of energy still comes from non-renewable sources - and it will take decades before we will reach something like 10-20% globally. Unless, what is also quite possible, we'll never reach that point - because our civilization will get smashed by 3rd World War caused by climate changes, which will in turn cause a total crisis in global economy.
Bill Gates: "(...) In my case, I went to the garbage cans at the Computer Science Center and I fished out listings of their operating system."
The_full_story and Nothing_have_changed

pylkko

#28 Post by pylkko »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
LE_746F6D617A7A69 wrote:Hurd is not an option as for now
Interesting blog post from one of the Hurd developers about replacing Mach with seL4: https://nalaginrut.com/archives/2019/12 ... 20thoughts
Thanks for sharing that. People have talked for years about the antiquated (in some sense) design vs L4. But more interestingly, how possible is it to design an operating system without corporate influence/input at all? Especially after linux. Before linux existed, before GNU and gcc and all that there was nothing on the table, so the rewards were high. But now that linux works so well and is so easy to deploy/install, there is less incentive. People that have the know how to compile simple code, or script with Python or whatever probably are not going to be getting into microkernel or driver writing so easily. He rightly points out that FOSS projects benefit largley from people that hhave no formal education in CS. However, it's now worse, because I suspect that even most CS students don't go into kernel design as the industry is largely now javascipt/cloud or app stuff. So is there any hope? There are some project that try to do it like, Redox OS, minix is still going forward, but it is slow and very abstract/theoretical. Will there ever be a day when you can install Redox on real hardware and do something real with it? I realize that this is not a new idea, this is the critique that Linus put to GNU about the hurd/mach, but it seems that today there is even more need for projects that actually really do something (as opposed to theoretically solving some issue) and at the same time less people that have the know how and interest.

kedaha

#29 Post by kedaha »

neuraleskimo wrote:...42.

If that doesn't work, reboot and install Windows.
No. If that doesn't work, reboot and install Debian.
neuraleskimo wrote: Then your problems won't seem so bad. Plus, always remember that in some parallel universe your hardware is supported and you have Debian running perfectly! ;-)
In my parallel universe my hardware is supported and I have Debian running perfectly.
Under no circumstances will I install Windows.
DebianStable

Code: Select all

$ vrms

No non-free or contrib packages installed on debian!  rms would be proud.

Head_on_a_Stick

#30 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

pylkko wrote:how possible is it to design an operating system without corporate influence/input at all?
Have you tried OpenBSD? They accept corporate donations but the developers very much do their own thing (check out the mailing lists, they're epic) and the operating system is absolutely brilliant, a model of simplicity and the King of "just works".
deadbang

sickpig

#31 Post by sickpig »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:the operating system is absolutely brilliant, a model of simplicity and the King of "just works".
Applicable to Debian as well.

pylkko

#32 Post by pylkko »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
pylkko wrote:how possible is it to design an operating system without corporate influence/input at all?
Have you tried OpenBSD? They accept corporate donations but the developers very much do their own thing (check out the mailing lists, they're epic) and the operating system is absolutely brilliant, a model of simplicity and the King of "just works".
Actually I have tested it. But that's it and perhaps I would say that it would be the only serious contender to linux for personal computer (i.e laptop) kind of use. But the hardware support is clearly not as broad as on linux. This, of course, may or may not matter depending on the case. I wish there were more

Head_on_a_Stick

#33 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

sickpig wrote:
Head_on_a_Stick wrote:the operating system is absolutely brilliant, a model of simplicity and the King of "just works".
Applicable to Debian as well.
Erm, no. Don't get me wrong — I love Debian but simple it ain't. Just as an example consider the audio systems: pure ALSA, JACK, JACK2 & PulseAudio are all available; OpenBSD just has sndiod(8). Which is also available in Debian, amusingly: https://packages.debian.org/buster/sndiod
pylkko wrote:the hardware support is clearly not as broad as on linux
No, it is not. But the hardware that is supported works very well (the backlight keys on my ThinkPad E485 work natively under OpenBSD but not under Linux) and there are far fewer regressions over time because the OpenBSD devs aren't as keen to cram in new features.
deadbang

sickpig

#34 Post by sickpig »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:Which is also available in Debian, amusingly: https://packages.debian.org/buster/sndiod
Don't they say if its not available under apt then either it doesn't exist or its not worth having :)

stevepusser

#35 Post by stevepusser »

Perhaps the same "they" that are whispering to a certain world leader that he is now immune to COVID after having it for a week, when scientists say we simply don't know enough about it yet to say that for anyone? :roll:

"Not invented here" syndrome shows a lack of awareness...
MX Linux packager and developer

sickpig

#36 Post by sickpig »

Now, I know who you are voting for this election :)

golinux

#37 Post by golinux »

stevepusser wrote:Perhaps the same "they" that are whispering to a certain world leader that he is now immune to COVID after having it for a week, when scientists say we simply don't know enough about it yet to say that for anyone? :roll:
OT . . . If said world leader ever had COVID at all. In Orwellian fashion, truth are lies and lies are truth and perhaps this one took the focus off of his debate debacle.

And @sickpig . . . as to voting . . . a choice between Mussolini and The Mummy isn't really a choice. I've been sitting out the circus for a long time . . .
May the FORK be with you!

sickpig

#38 Post by sickpig »

golinux wrote:And @sickpig . . . as to voting . . . a choice between Mussolini and The Mummy isn't really a choice. I've been sitting out the circus for a long time . . .
Inaction is also an action I suppose

stevepusser

#39 Post by stevepusser »

golinux wrote:
stevepusser wrote:Perhaps the same "they" that are whispering to a certain world leader that he is now immune to COVID after having it for a week, when scientists say we simply don't know enough about it yet to say that for anyone? :roll:
OT . . . If said world leader ever had COVID at all. In Orwellian fashion, truth are lies and lies are truth and perhaps this one took the focus off of his debate debacle.

And @sickpig . . . as to voting . . . a choice between Mussolini and The Mummy isn't really a choice. I've been sitting out the circus for a long time . . .
Veering this thread off the cliff now...I was amazed that the POTUS hadn't caught it yet, and a White House superspreader event seemed inevitable. Shades of "The Masque of the Red Death"! Maybe Poe was channeling Nostradamus with "Red"? :lol:

stevepusser

#40 Post by stevepusser »

sickpig wrote:
golinux wrote:And @sickpig . . . as to voting . . . a choice between Mussolini and The Mummy isn't really a choice. I've been sitting out the circus for a long time . . .
Inaction is also an action I suppose
That seems like a vote for Mehssulini...